15 dolla make u holla (in despair)

So I decided a long ass time ago that I would rather stay at $12-13 an hour in exchange for 40 hours most weeks. Those hours at that pay are decent where I live (which is cheap as fuck, relatively speaking). A few years back I did okay on $10.80 x 40 at one of my old jobs. Unfortunately even asking for that is beyond the pale these days. Even these little local businesses that can’t afford automation and lack the ability to implement it have dumped the 40 hour week faster than you can say Obamacare. I may be too r*t*rded to understand economics but something fishy is going on here.

Personally I want more bread because my landlord and car insurance company want a whole bunch of it, not because I think passing HBA items over a scanner or pushing a row of carts is galaxy brain work. Doesn’t even need to be $15 an hour, just actual full-time.

Word to the motherfucker.

I have some predictions, y’all. Here’s what I’m predicting we have to look forward to when $15 an hour hits.

- Literally nobody who isn’t a TL or above will get 40, ever, even during the busiest part of Q4. No matter how busy it gets or how well the store is doing on sales, the rule will be WORK YOUR EXACT SCHEDULE AND GO HOME. At stores where leadership doesn’t already call you out on the walkie when they get a Work Past Schedule alert for you on their Zebra, it will start happening. DTLs will make it very clear during walks that leaders who allow overstaying will be given the boot.

- Tying into the above, they will probably fuck with the way flex hours work so that payroll expenditure can be slashed by at least half. Negative flex hours will be brought back very soon.

- A new rule will come down from corporate to all HR teams: ABSOLUTELY NO REPLACING CALLOUTS EVER! You’re in HR and you call someone in anyway...guess what happens! Also, R.I.P. the swap board.

- The Cart Attendant role will disappear and salesfloor TMs will be expected to get carts when called.

- DCs will scale back OT or more likely eliminate it altogether.

- They might even go after the PMT role and try to contract it out, or at least turn it into a salaried position.

- “WHY DIDN’T YOU GET 25 UBOATS PUSHED IN 45 MINUTES ON A BUSY SATURDAY EVENING?!? FIFTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR!!!!!! REEEEEEEEEEE!!!”
Sales floor already gets the carts at my store.
Cart attendants are scheduled only for special occasions.

Hey guess what? Automation, machines and robots are coming to replace you either way but the $15 narrative push is just going to expedite the process. Your understanding of economics is petulant and highly ignorant at best.

You don’t deserve $15 an hour to sell toilet paper and toothpaste. I’m sorry that your parents and schools and the media have failed you but that’s the truth.

If you ever for one second believed that companies were just going to raise their base pay to $15 an hour and just take it on the chin, your naivety is out of control. It seems like you just now figured out what the result of this wage increase was going to be. Gee, it only took you what? 2 years? lol.

I can sum up your entire problem in just one sentence: You don’t understand that life isn’t fair and that life doesn’t care the least about your feelings.

And Brian doesn't deserve his pay either.

The new, average, Target Team Member...
giphy.gif

Yeah, I dunno. The only real thing they can try and automate is the logistics side of things. Guests absolutely hate SCO at my store and avoid it like the plague. "What? You want me to ring my own items up?!?! And bag them myself?!?!?!?!"

Given the state of our DCs, I don't think that automation is coming anytime soon. The state of the freight we receive is an absolute joke. Why are we getting transition so early? And why isn't it palletized? You know we're just going to palletize it and put it in the steel anyway, so why not save us the hassle? Stores should come before DCs, because we're the guest-facing side and we have much less space to work with. You make a dozen DCs do some extra work OR make almost 2,000 stores do some extra work -- which is going to cost less, eh?

Don't need to go to college to figure that much out, or high school for that matter.

On the corporate career site there is a video about working at the DC. They talk about how their work is driven by the Target guests. It is a good laugh. It is more like they are driven by filling trucks and repacks with crap!

6/10 rating on rants

1/10 rating on useful discussion

$15/hr entry level is stupid.

Sleep in the grave you dig.

If you want to make a decent paycheck then leverage the skills you have to find a place that will afford you. Wanting $15 an hour for following basic instruction is high key lazy. Everyone who wanted more is getting more, for a lot less. Have fun with that.

Target wants good part time workers. It's not a place for those needing full time. Great for homemakers, students, retirees, and second jobs.

The frustrating thing about that is there are a lot of people especially people with disabilities who want full time jobs but who can only get jobs in places like Target.
They need to make a living but are under employed and not being paid jack.
They need that $15.00 an hour.
We have people who are high functioning autism, who have gone to college but can't get past the interview stage and wind up with jobs well below what they have the skills for.
The unemployment rate for people with autism and a college education is 80%, so the idea of 'bettering yourself to move up is just mouth music.
And of those who are employed at least half are underemployed.

Paying a living wage is the least a company can do.
Giving decent hours is another.
Being aware of people who are neurodiverse and making the appropriate changes to your hiring practices would be the best thing.

Last edited:
Back