Archived 18.4 Summer MyDevice/PDA Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll talk to my support teams about what they could be doing differently. They both work 8 hour shifts and I know they don't charge during lunch. They said everything was fine when they had a 7k day.

The scanner doubles as a battery pack. I had the same problems with them and we have had these myDevices for more than a year.

Actually it doesn't. If the sled powered the ipod in any way you would occasionally see the charge indicator on the ipod, yet that never happens. The battery inside the sled is used to power the laser only.

The software fir the mydevices isn't bad, I think it will go places the motorola devices never went. But the global network is absolutely horrendous, past 2 weeks have seen at least 2 full days the mydevices were down. Totally unacceptable.

...the global network is absolutely horrendous...

This.

In truth, I haven't had many problems with the myDevices that wasn't network related. Scanner stops working? Lock/Unlock. Still doesn't work? Give it a good hit (Loose connection with the sled). Still? Reboot.

Now, granted, I am usually only using it for STOW and NOP functions, but they usually work in our Produce/Meat coolers. Dairy is a different story, and don't get me started with the deep freezer.

Other than my anti-iOS bias, the iPods do okay. I wish we could do autofills with them and do our BR audits, but for what I use them for, it works.

My request would be that they develop a NUMPAD keyboard (A strict 0-9 only) for when the case tags from the FDC don't print correctly...that would be nice.

This.

Give it a good hit (Loose connection with the sled).

Don't hit it. It isn't a connection issue, but rather an issue with the ipod waking up and then waking up the sled. They have improved the driver side so it happens much less now, but usually letting it sit off for 10 seconds will make it connect again when I wake it back up. If that fails just flip the top of the case and pull the ipod out just enough to disconnect it. This works %100 of the time. Hitting it does nothing.

Don't hit it. It isn't a connection issue, but rather an issue with the ipod waking up and then waking up the sled. They have improved the driver side so it happens much less now, but usually letting it sit off for 10 seconds will make it connect again when I wake it back up. If that fails just flip the top of the case and pull the ipod out just enough to disconnect it. This works %100 of the time. Hitting it does nothing.

More of a joke, but good advice anywho.

I remember 6 months ago no one would touch them, and I don't blame them for that. Then they decommissioned the L-PDAs and the "single beam" PDAs...that was a horrid night.

As a pricing team member who has used solely the mydevice since january, i can say first hand the batteries are getting worse over time. Originally, i could get an ipod to last my whole shift. Now it consists of 2-3 ipods during any given shift, even when I turn the brightness all the way down. It doesnt help that we have to come in at 8 now, and all the mydevices are being used so by the time I get one its already halfway dead. The good thing about the PDAs is that you could switch out the batteries.

Actually it doesn't. If the sled powered the ipod in any way you would occasionally see the charge indicator on the ipod, yet that never happens. The battery inside the sled is used to power the laser only.

The software fir the mydevices isn't bad, I think it will go places the motorola devices never went. But the global network is absolutely horrendous, past 2 weeks have seen at least 2 full days the mydevices were down. Totally unacceptable.

Try using it until it goes into the red area - go to lunch and come back you will have half battery.

Yes I know what you are talking about as if you had a battery pack on your personal iPod but it does idly charge it when the device is in sleep mode.

You can't do that anymore. With the newest update they put screws in the sled on the hinge.

Wont be soon and they will be replacing iPods because the batteries have depleted so bad it doesn't last for more than a hour. There should have been a battery back or something built into that sled.

The PDA is the most reliable device in my entire store... 0 downtime compared to the Gift Registry iPads and Item Finder Kiosks throughout the store.

Are you talking about the next generation iPad-like price scanners? A store by me was testing them out but a few weeks ago reinstalled the old style ones. If they're the ones you're talking about, do you still have yours?

Try using it until it goes into the red area - go to lunch and come back you will have half battery.

Yes I know what you are talking about as if you had a battery pack on your personal iPod but it does idly charge it when the device is in sleep mode.

Nope. Just a battery warning every 5min. So at lunch they sit in the charger.

You can't do that anymore. With the newest update they put screws in the sled on the hinge.
Actually this isn't quite true. To my understanding, this was done with the update for stores that experienced MyDevice-related losses (read: theft). When ours updated, and the sleds received maintenance, no screws were added (the sleds did not change to the security-screw variant).

Actually this isn't quite true. To my understanding, this was done with the update for stores that experienced MyDevice-related losses (read: theft). When ours updated, and the sleds received maintenance, no screws were added (the sleds did not change to the security-screw variant).
You are so lucky then; Today i had to hard reset the mydevice 10 times tonight.

You can warm reset an ipod by holding the main button and the power button at the same time for like 5 seconds. It takes less time than actually turning it off and back on which, still takes longer than just popping it in and out of the sled. Although you only should have to do a reset if the software is stuck, ie you get to where it scans and beeps but doesn't do anything. Else you can try to reinitialize the sled by turning the screen off(sleep) and then back on opening up to mywork and waiting like 5 seconds before you try to scan, then again that does nothing when the battery in the sled is low or loose.

It's not just your guys who are having issues with iPod touches in retail, the hardware retailer I work for is having issues as well. The main one being the cradle and scanner for the device. (It's pretty much identical to Target's, except for the blue color). It's like a revolving door for me. Lol.

Probably iOS. Really buggy. iOS 9 promises stability so we will see. Are you guys testing out the beta iOS 9 @OtherGuy ?

13 PDA app icons will be removed and migrated to myWork functions:
- Fill It
- Seas
- Stand alone Outs
- Stand alone PTM
- EXF
- Set It
- Store Tie
- Order It
- RF Order
- PF Order
- Price It
- SIM
- Price Audit
- PCV
- Print It
- Sign
- Find It
- NOP
- UPCS

In addition, the PTM Task List has been removed as it is obsolete.

ESIM Weekly Log Audit:
- The title of the LOD ESIM Log Audit Alert is changing to HWC_Weekly ESIM Log
- The alert will now flag if the log is not completed by Thursday, 8:15 local time

My Note: In the message it actually states to start scheduling more backroom team members so that your team can adjust and learn how to do the same thing quickly and efficiently.

That's the notes for the 18.4 Update coming our way in July/August!
These bolded apps are reminding me of this:

Nooooo I just noticed NOP is leaving... Do they not realize how helpful that is for when Backroom is pushing CAFs? And it's not like that app does anything besides present already available information in a simple and compact format. What's the harm in letting it stay?

Nooooo I just noticed NOP is leaving... Do they not realize how helpful that is for when Backroom is pushing CAFs? And it's not like that app does anything besides present already available information in a simple and compact format. What's the harm in letting it stay?
The harm is they want to get rid of RF and have been chipping away at it for years.

RF apps is like an old but well maintained car. It does exactly what you expect it to do and does it in a reasonable amount of time.

myWork is like a shiny new zero emissions public transportation system. It may be the way of the future, but in the present it's slow, unreliable, and has lots of unexpected delays and breakdowns.

RF apps is like an old but well maintained car. It does exactly what you expect it to do and does it in a reasonable amount of time.

myWork is like a shiny new zero emissions public transportation system. It may be the way of the future, but in the present it's slow, unreliable, and has lots of unexpected delays and breakdowns.
If I have to hear one more flow member bitch that nop is gone and item search is "so slow" I will shank then in the parking lot.

If I have to hear one more flow member bitch that nop is gone and item search is "so slow" I will shank then in the parking lot.

Cause not one of them actually hits that 2nd location when the option is there for one.. NOP doesn't tell you a lot of info.. I curse it since it leads to me walking into several vehicles on the line that are all labeled D-Code when all but one half of one of those vehicles isn't actually D-Code..

The main reason flow workers like NOP over item search is, when you're in the back stocking an item and it flags the push to floor, we can easily toggle to check. After this I won't be inclined to check the secondary locations myself, this now became the instocks teams job. And without a pda or mydevice (which crash multiple times a day) that flat of beverage just took you longer. And the logistics ETL will ride the day backroom TLs ass since they're also in charge of instocks at my store. All one revolving circle of crap.

The main reason flow workers like NOP over item search is, when you're in the back stocking an item and it flags the push to floor, we can easily toggle to check. After this I won't be inclined to check the secondary locations myself, this now became the instocks teams job. And without a pda or mydevice (which crash multiple times a day) that flat of beverage just took you longer. And the logistics ETL will ride the day backroom TLs ass since they're also in charge of instocks at my store. All one revolving circle of crap.
I know the pros and cons of using both NOP and item search. I trained all my newbies to be able to use both. The flow team never learned how to use item search "cause it sucked" and now is unable to quickly and efficiently use it even once it brings them to the right screen. Same thing with the mydevices they keep taking. If its not "sto" its just characters on the screen to them.

Our store rarely sorts out a challenge tub unless someone is angry or there's been an issue with the process. So nobody is using NOP to sort backstock, mostly just to supposedly push accurately. But thats not what really happens. They just don't want to learn something new, or admit they still don't get it and instead are clinging to the idea of NOP having been the perfect system.

We just got the screws of DOOM installed today. Time to track down the right piece to unscrew that....ugh. And of course right after the guy finishes the ios upgrade every other person is having issues all day with their device.

Oh, great.

Now one of our O/N TLs who do the H&B repacks can't keep harassing the TMs in H&B to go to NOP anymore, maybe she can learn how to use myDevices more efficiently while she's at it.

Though I guess I'll have to get used to item search, and not just when we MONARC entire FDCs.

I can live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back