Archived 1st day as cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The person who was supposed to train me didn't really feel like doing it, so an ETL checked on me every now and then.
I did 92 with 89%.
I had three things happen.
1. I forgot to ring up bottled water underneath the cart, noticed as they walked out.

2. Someone bought 2 plates and they rang up $13 and $15, they told me they were supposed to be 2 for $20, so I changed the price to $10 each.

I am not really sure if I should have done this, it said in the book if it sounds reasonable to change the price.

3. Our registers are located to the left, instead of the right which would be right in front of me, so I have to look back when I want to see the screen. Well I was checking someone out, and I didn't notice a screen asking for the price off the label, and I rang up probably about 6 more things, before I turned around for the total, I took the last bag and entered the price off the label, but I am not sure if the other 6 things rang up, I tried comparing what was in the bag to what was on the screen, but the customer paid before I could be sure.

Did I do horrible?

i wouldn't say you did horrible! Everyone makes mistakes their first couple of times and it's not a huge deal!

1. try and catch that before they leave. :)

2. That sounds more than reasonable so you were right in changing that for them!

3. Those 6 items did not scan so they got them for free. It's honestly not the end of the world but just try and catch it next time

I'm more concerned with the fact that someone didn't feel like training you so they just left you alone. That shouldn't be happening and i'm sorry that it did for you! I hope the rest of your night besides those three things went good! Welcome to the team!!

Well, you're still alive, aren't you? :D 89% isn't bad at all for your first day. It sounds like you needed a better trainer though - that isn't acceptable.

1.) Don't forget about BOB and LISA. Always look underneath and inside the cart for items the guest might've missed.

2.) For price challenges, use your best judgement. If you're not sure, ask the GSTL.

3.) This is a very easy mistake to make when you're "in the zone." Always keep an eye on your screen as you're scanning, especially with clearance items and coupons. If the register is waiting for input from you such as "how much is this?", it won't let you scan anything.

Remember: speed is important, but so are accuracy and asset protection. Spot allows a certain margin of error for empowerment, but don't get too carried away.

Check out our guide for cashiering: http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/cashier.72/

Last edited:
Well first off welcome to the wonderful world of Target cashiering. From personal experience as I tell all the people I train, you can't expect perfection on the first day. You did pretty well for a first day! As for your trainer, I would've asked to have someone to help me out. But it's okay, they'll know you're still learning so they'll be nice. If you need any advice, shoot me a message...I've been there, done that and I'm a great person to ask on all things cashiering.

Congrats on the first day!

Andrew.

For the third item, we have the same set up. Keep an eye on the green light on the top of the scanner in front of you. When it starts blinking red, the you know you need to stop and do something, and you likely won't get more than an item ahead of yourself.

My belt/counter are on the left, too, and it's frustrating coming from another store where everything is right-centric.

You get used to it!

k,
The person who was supposed to train me didn't really feel like doing it, so an ETL checked on me every now and then.
I did 92 with 89%.
I had three things happen.
1. I forgot to ring up bottled water underneath the cart, noticed as they walked out.

2. Someone bought 2 plates and they rang up $13 and $15, they told me they were supposed to be 2 for $20, so I changed the price to $10 each.

I am not really sure if I should have done this, it said in the book if it sounds reasonable to change the price.

3. Our registers are located to the left, instead of the right which would be right in front of me, so I have to look back when I want to see the screen. Well I was checking someone out, and I didn't notice a screen asking for the price off the label, and I rang up probably about 6 more things, before I turned around for the total, I took the last bag and entered the price off the label, but I am not sure if the other 6 things rang up, I tried comparing what was in the bag to what was on the screen, but the customer paid before I could be sure.

Did I do horrible?

Thats what I hate about our registers.......when you ring up something the register beeps, so supposedly you know that it rang up without having to look at the screen every time. But once in a while you ring up something and the register doesnt know the price, so the screen freezes and asks you the price, but it still beeps as if the item rang up ok, , you dont know there is a problem because you heard the beep and assumed the item rang up ok and didnt look at the screen, so you keep ringing more things up. So you ring up 20 items and find out at the end that the register stopped after the 12th item because it didnt know the price, and the other 8 items didnt actually ring up even thought you heard the beep after every item.. So you have to void everything, empty the sack and start over. Why cant they program the register to make some kind of noise if there is a problem, so you don't keep ringing up things when the screen is frozen? This has happened to me for years.

Last edited:
I know...I wish the beeps could be a different sound.
It also would be helpful to have a special beep when you need to log on to the register again. I hate it when you're done with a guest and then the next one comes and you start to ring them out....and then discover that you needed to log in.

Are the posts on #8 and here on #10 ideas to send up to the people who are in the corporate office to ask about these ideas?

Thanks guys! I definitely agree that there should be some type of auditory alert, especially if the register is out of sight. I guess I'll learn to adapt.

I just started sales yesterday (market), everything went great!

My only concern is LP is watching me like a hawk, i'd hate to turn around real fast because we would most likely collide. Did I do something wrong? Why is he making it so obvious that he is watching me? I thought Target had really great cameras, so great that they could zoom in with enough clarity to read the texts off someone's phone. I mean I guess it's kind of cool, I don't have to use my walkie for help I just have to yell to the next asile over, and wait for the guy's one word response.

I don't know if it is the same with the new registers. But on the old POS registers, you could just hold down the hand scanner trigger, and then it cycles the different volumes levels.

Yes, but that won't make the beeps a different sound when the register isn't ringing up a product due to a register prompted needing attending to.

Like I said, just keep an eye on the light on the register in front of you. When it starts flashing red, then you know you need to do something at the register.

At my store, the inline scanner doesn't make any sound if the register requires input, just like in other stores. However, a few months ago, we got new hand scanners. If you try to scan something with the hand scanner when the register requires input, it makes a funny triple-beeping sound. (Of course, that only helps if you're using the hand scanner.)

My only concern is LP is watching me like a hawk, i'd hate to turn around real fast because we would most likely collide. Did I do something wrong? Why is he making it so obvious that he is watching me? I thought Target had really great cameras, so great that they could zoom in with enough clarity to read the texts off someone's phone. I mean I guess it's kind of cool, I don't have to use my walkie for help I just have to yell to the next asile over, and wait for the guy's one word response.

First of all, we prefer the name AP. It makes us sound more important :D

Anyway, from working in AP, I can tell you they like to watch "new hires" closely for the first month or so, and then follow cash registrar reports.

Don't take it personally, it's just some TM's like to give discounts to friends, or not ring up stuff at all..

Another thing. It's rare for AP to actually stand by a TM for observation. We can actually pull up your monitor screen, and watch you scan things from cameras. I'm guessing right now, but it sounds like either this AP likes you, or he's watching the front lanes for people trying to "forget" to pay for things undercart.. or push out attempt's.

Those "Zoom" cameras you see in Primetime TV, well there just for show. We actually have about 6-14 of them inside the store.. the rest are all static/non movable ones. I can actually zoom in on cashiers in Frontlanes.. but I can't read your texts.

Another thing to watch for when ringing up is prompts for giftcards. Like the price prompts, etc this will keep beeping but won't ring up anything else until you clear it.
There's always a crapload in the ad for a free giftcard if you buy XXX. If you ring up the items & a giftcard comes up, take a blank giftcard (you'll have a stack in your drawer or near your handscanner) scan it & give it to the guest (ex: here's your free $5 giftcard for buying 3 gallons of Listerine).
My trainer taught me long ago a trick of walking around & putting the bags in the cart when finished with a transaction. It allows you to check below or under the kiddy seat for missed merch, it prevents paid & left (ensures that guest gets all their stuff), it lets you stretch your legs a little & it's just good guest service.

Another thing to watch for when ringing up is prompts for giftcards. Like the price prompts, etc this will keep beeping but won't ring up anything else until you clear it.
There's always a crapload in the ad for a free giftcard if you buy XXX. If you ring up the items & a giftcard comes up, take a blank giftcard (you'll have a stack in your drawer or near your handscanner) scan it & give it to the guest (ex: here's your free $5 giftcard for buying 3 gallons of Listerine).
My trainer taught me long ago a trick of walking around & putting the bags in the cart when finished with a transaction. It allows you to check below or under the kiddy seat for missed merch, it prevents paid & left (ensures that guest gets all their stuff), it lets you stretch your legs a little & it's just good guest service.

Good tips!

when i cashiered i probably abused the price change button too much as i would just give out 5 dollar off coupons under the guise of vibing and to be honest i wasn't getting paid enough to deal with cranky customers so it was a quick way of shutting them up and making sure they left with an "amazing moment". also if someone took a long time filling out a red card application or if i had to get a gstl to call the back room for a price check i would give the next person in line 5 dollars off for having to wait longer.

when i cashiered i probably abused the price change button too much as i would just give out 5 dollar off coupons under the guise of vibing and to be honest i wasn't getting paid enough to deal with cranky customers so it was a quick way of shutting them up and making sure they left with an "amazing moment". also if someone took a long time filling out a red card application or if i had to get a gstl to call the back room for a price check i would give the next person in line 5 dollars off for having to wait longer.

Warning, ap will be watching you. That will light up many reports over a period of time.

i never thought about that, from watching one of my GSTLs i figured it was pretty standard practice and was never talked to about it. Maybe twice a week i would knock 5 dollars off due to someone having to wait for an old person to try and remember their social security number for a red card app.

I always did this when I backed up front end. Great advice. It gives you a bit of a break, you can check for anything you missed without being obvious, and the guests think you're awesome for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back