Archived 2 weeks notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was leaked to my STL and ETL GE that I am currently actively seeking better paying work outside of the company. They definitely do NOT have enough documentation to fire me (not even close), but I had a conversation with my ETL and it sounded like when we status in a couple weeks, I have to either decide to stay or put in my two weeks that day (whether or not I have a job to leave for). I do not want to put in my two weeks notice until I have been offered a new position because as much as I hate it, this is my only source of income. Can they put in my notice without my consent? Is this more of a hotline question?

Tell them you decided to stay and continue to look. And whoever you discussed this with to allow it to leak needs to be cut from the circle of trust.

It was my GSA who just quit, so they're already out of the circle. I know they can't find someone able to fill my position (no one WANTS to be a GSTL) fast enough to replace me by that status or even 2 weeks after, but as I said, I'm just nervous they'll try to find some weird loophole to have me taken from the schedule.

It was leaked to my STL and ETL GE that I am currently actively seeking better paying work outside of the company. They definitely do NOT have enough documentation to fire me (not even close), but I had a conversation with my ETL and it sounded like when we status in a couple weeks, I have to either decide to stay or put in my two weeks that day (whether or not I have a job to leave for). I do not want to put in my two weeks notice until I have been offered a new position because as much as I hate it, this is my only source of income. Can they put in my notice without my consent? Is this more of a hotline question?

No they can't drop a 2-week notice for you. They can't force you to turn one in either. Now they can make your life miserable until you do decide where to go. They can fire you but they can't force you leave on your own per say. Do what you need to do, be it leave now or keep looking and put in a two weeks when you find something. But also keep in mind how they treat you when it is time to put in your notice. Cause if they want you to leave this badly and use scare tactics are they really worth a notice? They are pouring the gasoline on the bridge you just have to decide to drop the match.. or not..

Personally, if I were seeking employment I don't think I'd be talking about it too much.

Simply put, it doesn't matter if they have enough documentation.. They'll start looking for your replacement and once they have an idea on who they will put in your role... They'll start coaching you for stupid things. Then counseling. Then term.

At this point, I would deny, deny, deny. At worst, id say something along lines of "oh my friend works at xxx and said they had a job I should check out, but I'm not really interested." Takes blame off you or say, "yea I heard xxx was hiring and was telling suzie q about it."

I am much too honest to lie and I would rather they hear it from me than from a peer or team member (that I'm still actively looking). I don't like what I do but I do like my new boss and my STL, I don't think I'd leave without the two weeks. They actually really want me to stay, so I don't think they will try to push me out until well after I let them know that I would like to stay but keep looking. No one even will take a GSA position, much less the extra shenanigans of being the GSTL. We're a very "visible" store.

This makes me feel pretty lucky.

I was doing the closing zone along with 2 other TMs in the middle of the store one night, and my STL was helping us because it was a slow night. We started talking and he asked if I was going to school, and I told him that I had a degree and was looking for work as a business analyst or possibly a civilian job within the DoD.

So basically, my STL knows that I don't intend to stay forever, and I'm actively looking for other work, and he's completely okay with that.

It has been my experience when a member of leadership in a store is known to be looking for a new job, they will drive them out no matter if they are ready or not so they can control the change over not be held hostage waiting to know when it could happen. So if your not willing to lie you can expect them to performance you out on a timeline they can control.

This makes me feel pretty lucky.

I was doing the closing zone along with 2 other TMs in the middle of the store one night, and my STL was helping us because it was a slow night. We started talking and he asked if I was going to school, and I told him that I had a degree and was looking for work as a business analyst or possibly a civilian job within the DoD.

So basically, my STL knows that I don't intend to stay forever, and I'm actively looking for other work, and he's completely okay with that.

Cause your STL doesn't have a fragile ego.

STL's/ETL's can or should understand that most people aren't looking to make a lifetime commitment to a part time job in a position without guaranteed hours or benefits. Once you get to TL or higher it begins changing, and they start asking you about your career/development and where you want to promote to. As a GSTL you're kind of in-between the two, but in general I would lean towards they would expect you to either commit to Target or let them know you don't intend to be around for long. The training of TL's, even GSTL's, doesn't happen over night.

I let my STL know I was leaving 3 months in advance. I already had something lined up but I was letting them know because they were going into 4th quarter without me (ETL-Log). Everyone knew I was leaving a month or 2 prior to me formally saying I was leaving. They could start the coaching, CA, Final route for stupid things but anyone can dispute it if the action is not enforced on every TM. Our HR would get pounded by their HRBP if they weren't fair and consistent. Get enough people to back you up and boom, issue resolved.

Since you don't have a job to go to I would recommend saying it was a rumor or that an offer can up but you would rather stay with Target. Then continue to look until something better comes along. It's retail, they don't expect everyone to stick around forever. During my time with Spot, plenty of people walked in and out of jobs. We lost 3 ETL-GEs. 2 ETL Softlines, ETL-AP, ETL-Replen, and STL to other jobs outside of Target. This was all within a year. Keep looking and find a job that's right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back