2023 New pilots?

They're always in a hurry to teach the new people to do SCO. They want all cashiers to be trained on it. Can't imagine THAT will go poorly at all!
SCO's easy. We usually train everyone to do it within their first like, 2 weeks. The only thing at SCO that I think people really have a problem with is being assertive when it comes to preventing theft. I'll just walk right up to guests and go, "Looks like some of these items didn't get scanned correctly, let's void this transaction and start over." if I catch them ticket swapping or skip scanning. Most of the other front end TM's though aren't as willing to confront guests.

SCO's easy. We usually train everyone to do it within their first like, 2 weeks. The only thing at SCO that I think people really have a problem with is being assertive when it comes to preventing theft. I'll just walk right up to guests and go, "Looks like some of these items didn't get scanned correctly, let's void this transaction and start over." if I catch them ticket swapping or skip scanning. Most of the other front end TM's though aren't as willing to confront guests.
I mean I'm sure as hell not going to do that, they don't pay me enough to try and stop thieves. Watch for em, sure, note time and print receipt, you betcha.

But I am NOT confronting any thieves in ANY capacity, however you put it. I am not paid enough for that BS

Any updates on this? HQ side it looks like some iteration will be going through next year around April/APP process (I see it on various share outs for Q1) but being in my current role I don't get visibility to the pilot. Looks like some stores had Merch Ops lose backroom back to GM, and some lost total TL headcount to compensate for the ETL-Merch Ops...

Any updates on this? HQ side it looks like some iteration will be going through next year around April/APP process (I see it on various share outs for Q1) but being in my current role I don't get visibility to the pilot. Looks like some stores had Merch Ops lose backroom back to GM, and some lost total TL headcount to compensate for the ETL-Merch Ops...
Nothing official but I heard mid January is when it starts to get announced. HR director and GVP level got information last week. Sounds like a super scaled down version will end up rolling out and they are moving area ownership around again. Stationary/Kitchen/Seasonal/Bullseye/Storage back to GM and specialty will take entertainment and baby. Entertainment will officially be included in the tech Tms core roles and hours added to their work center. Specialty. I’m not 100% sure about the merch ops etl role but sounds like there will definitely be a merch ops TL that doesn’t own a dept but runs pricing, planning, rfid. I only got a super brief summary based off someone’s memory from reading this so that’s all I know.

Nothing official but I heard mid January is when it starts to get announced. HR director and GVP level got information last week. Sounds like a super scaled down version will end up rolling out and they are moving area ownership around again. Stationary/Kitchen/Seasonal/Bullseye/Storage back to GM and specialty will take entertainment and baby. Entertainment will officially be included in the tech Tms core roles and hours added to their work center. Specialty. I’m not 100% sure about the merch ops etl role but sounds like there will definitely be a merch ops TL that doesn’t own a dept but runs pricing, planning, rfid. I only got a super brief summary based off someone’s memory from reading this so that’s all I know.

Is domestics and Dec home going to gm too?

Did GM get backroom ownership again?

I'm curious to see how they handle reduced TL count, if that part is true.
That part I’m not 100% because the person who told me wasn’t sure about the merch ops etl. I would assume if the merch ops etl isn’t a thing anymore then GM would take ownership of the merch ops TL. I assume since style gained and GM lost in the 2021 switch around they would just swap back after loosing most the areas they gained.

That part I’m not 100% because the person who told me wasn’t sure about the merch ops etl. I would assume if the merch ops etl isn’t a thing anymore then GM would take ownership of the merch ops TL. I assume since style gained and GM lost in the 2021 switch around they would just swap back after loosing most the areas they gained.

I'm curious to see how the just below base stores work out. My store is just a couple million below base volume so we only have two GM TL (and fulfillment) but only one SS TL.

No it would likely be a current specialty sales TL. They loose a lot of areas in this flip flop and GM could easily absorb them if someone is taking over pricing and Plano. Again this is a guess so who knows.
We only have one SS TL. I own half of specialty currently as GM2 (Home and seasonal).

No it would likely be a current specialty sales TL. They loose a lot of areas in this flip flop and GM could easily absorb them if someone is taking over pricing and Plano. Again this is a guess so who knows.
Headcount for Specialty TLs is already so low. I work in a $65 store and we only get two. If we didn't have a Beauty TL we'd be screwed. I have a really hard time understanding how Target could justify adjusting the current headcount instead of adding, but also it's Target.

Last edited:
Headcount for Specialty TLs is already so low. I work in a $65 store and we only get two. If we didn't have a Beauty TL we'd be screwed. I have a really hard time understanding how Target could justify adjusting the current headcount instead of adding, but also it's Target.
Again sounds like your store didn’t follow the changes back in 2021 either so you likely won’t see any changes either. Most base model stores especially 65M had 3 GM and 2 Specialty and in 2021 we’re supposed to move 1 GM to specialty.

Also Beauty TLs aren’t a thing unless you have ulta.

My guess would be moving the GM that owns Presentation/Essentials over to Merch Ops and giving their old areas to GM. But leaving GM down to 1/2 TLs for most stores wouldn't be tremendously good if they still own Inbound and (maybe?) backroom

Again sounds like your store didn’t follow the changes back in 2021 either so you likely won’t see any changes either. Most base model stores especially 65M had 3 GM and 2 Specialty and in 2021 we’re supposed to move 1 GM to specialty.

Also Beauty TLs aren’t a thing unless you have ulta.
My store followed it and we have one SSTL that reports to the SD. We're low volume. Some stores really just have one SSTL. I would know, because it's me.

My store followed it and we have one SSTL that reports to the SD. We're low volume. Some stores really just have one SSTL. I would know, because it's me.
Correct but this person said they have 2 and then mentioned they also have a beauty TL which insinuates they took one of their 3 specialty TLs and made them a beauty TL so they didn’t follow the roll out. Either way it all changes February 4th so this discussion is irrelevant.

Back