2024 pilots / restructuring?

Anyone hear any rumors so far regarding 2024 pilots and/or changes to store leadership, headcount, or position changes? Apparently some things are swirling but haven’t come across anything concrete

There are tl changes coming in January.
From another thread.
Nothing official but I heard mid January is when it starts to get announced. HR director and GVP level got information last week. Sounds like a super scaled down version will end up rolling out and they are moving area ownership around again. Stationary/Kitchen/Seasonal/Bullseye/Storage back to GM and specialty will take entertainment and baby. Entertainment will officially be included in the tech Tms core roles and hours added to their work center. Specialty. I’m not 100% sure about the merch ops etl role but sounds like there will definitely be a merch ops TL that doesn’t own a dept but runs pricing, planning, rfid. I only got a super brief summary based off someone’s memory from reading this so that’s all I know.
Thanks
@gsa4lyfe

What is even specialized about "specialty" areas, other than tech and maybe beauty?

I think what makes them special is that if you don't regularly work in those areas they can seem hard to do, especially as there is unique training for each of them. Everyone at my store avoids helping out in beauty, tech, & style like it's the plague. 😆

Although......F&B also has unique training and no one fusses about that the same way......🤔

I'm in an op model store and it tentatively sounds like not much is changing from how we're conducting the pilot now. As merch ops, I own presentation, pricing, data integrity processes, and although backroom and rev log were taken away mid year, I still seem to get involved with it. I haven't heard much about changes for '24 other than what's been postulated in this thread.

I just don't understand what Target is trying to fix. its a solution looking for a problem. I can see the presentation/pricing changes but gm/specialty flip flops are just so unnecessary

They're trying to find ways to mitigate the impact that Fulfillment has on Store's payroll without adding any payroll. Adding payroll means that the company either has to cut its projections on profit, or they have to increase prices. Increasing prices significantly outside a certain range is a no go, because of its outsize impact on revenues, if competitors don't follow suit. Lower profits, and lower earnings per share projections is a wall street death sentence.

I just don't understand what Target is trying to fix. it’s a solution looking for a problem. I can see the presentation/pricing changes but gm/specialty flip flops are just so unnecessary
ETL ownership is my opinion, As someone who was a GM ETL when it swapped two years ago I was super annoyed that things that affected my work everyday were no longer in my control. If it’s something that prohibits you from doing your job it should be in your control. GM owning inbound but loosing 1/2 the push hours to Style meant a bad truck left it up to GM to clean up or it affected the unload. I think this is good putting it back. They should put it all back.
We were just told that fulfillment is going from front end to gm. We had a separate Starbucks lead, but they will now also be front end. Changes go into effect on Jan. 1 at our store.
These are your store not target. Target tested S&E running fulfillment back in 2021/22 and it was a few month pilot and then it was cancelled. If your store is still doing that it’s only your store.

Baby used to be part of Softlines back in the day. I never understood why they moved it to GM. Same guest as NIT.
Agree, unfortunately lol. It's a pain in the ass department, especially now that we have formula locked up. They really should allocate more hours to it and have someone there for the bulk of every day.

But I thought it already officially moved back to Style? Could have sworn that was part of the last set of changes.

Agree, unfortunately lol. It's a pain in the ass department, especially now that we have formula locked up. They really should allocate more hours to it and have someone there for the bulk of every day.

But I thought it already officially moved back to Style? Could have sworn that was part of the last set of changes.
It was part of the pilot that was going on but it is officially going to specialty soon. Still no communication at my store though but it's not January yet

My store just made the change with Kitchen/Storage/Dom/etc going to Specialty this year and not even a year later changing it back?!? Idk it just doesn’t make sense to me with this back and forth..

My store just made the change with Kitchen/Storage/Dom/etc going to Specialty this year and not even a year later changing it back?!? Idk it just doesn’t make sense to me with this back and forth..
It happened in spring 2022 so 2 years by the time it gets rolled out. Your store seems to be behind but either way that’s the nature of retail. Forever changing.

Like I said in a different thread I'm curious to see how they do head count for $40M ish stores. We only have 2GM, 1 fulfillment, 1 F&B, and 1 specialty TL on the sales floor. Would they make one GM TL cover all of that on the salesfoor to add the Merch Ops TL? Seems crazy.

Like I said in a different thread I'm curious to see how they do head count for $40M ish stores. We only have 2GM, 1 fulfillment, 1 F&B, and 1 specialty TL on the sales floor. Would they make one GM TL cover all of that on the salesfoor to add the Merch Ops TL? Seems crazy.
Sounds like low volume stores might be giving up an S&E or GM, base volume giving up GM or Specialty. I don't have visibility on the current version of the op model though unfortunately, but it was GM that moved for most stores in the pilot up until September.

Sounds like low volume stores might be giving up an S&E or GM, base volume giving up GM or Specialty. I don't have visibility on the current version of the op model though unfortunately, but it was GM that moved for most stores in the pilot up until September.

I saw one of the original breakdowns from when it launched where they had a sub 37.5M headcount and then a 37.5-40.5M headcount. I'm curious to see what has changed from that.

Back