Archived 4 Years and 4 Months Later... I'm a GUEST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hasta la vista, Target was my first taste of the retail world, and I have to say that it developed me and improved my character while also making my skin pretty damn thick.

Anyways, after being there for so long I witnessed my store slowly imploding on itself (it's nearing the tipping point). And after a solid 6 month streak (that is still going) of witnessing all the managers, vets, and pros jump ship, I followed suit with a LOA for the entirety of the holiday season, took on two new jobs in the meanwhile, found one that continues to inspire me and keep me happy, and popped back into spot on the expiration of the loa for a surprise 2 weeks notice, needless to say my HR was pretty shook, their face was quite priceless as it went from "yay, you're back!" to "oh shit, we fucked up".

I just wanted to extend my thank you and gratitude to everyone at this site for allowing me to be a part of your community and providing so much insight.

Just know, on the outside world, you're valued for your dollars, you just gotta find the right place and I think I've found just that until I start my actual career. Good luck everyone!

You're worth more than $10 <3

Aliens.jpg

For some, it's the only gig in town.
For others, they've been with spot long enough to remember when it was a good company you were proud to work for before it changed.
And having been there so long, moving to another job could mean pay cuts, loss of benefits (those that still have them), seniority of schedule flexibility, etc.
For some it's they people they work with that keep them there.

I don't get this mentality.

If you don't like working at Target, why do you work there?
There are so many reasons. For me personally...
I worked for the company for 10 years. Started in the back room and worked my way up and up. I absolutely loved working for target, I was always lucky with absolutely amazing Stls, then DTLs. The one thing that made me unhappy was the work life balance. I always contemplated leaving. In fact, at one point I received an amazing job offer from another company that was even better pay, but i somewhat felt like I was betraying the company that gave me so much and I definetly felt like I was betraying my team and my store. I respected and genuinely liked everyone at my store and made it my mission as an STL to get to know every single person.
After I got promoted I had a really really awful experience (one that made my wife insist I saw a therapist for) yet i still felt like I would be some horrible human for leaving target- even as unhappy as I was. I started job hunting and found that no company would pay me for what I was making at target, and it just didn't make sense to leave.
After finally deciding to "leave" I actually got the job opportunity of a freaking lifetime and finally realized my main reason for never leaving target was simply fear and making excuses as to why I should stay or why I couldn't leave . I was drinking their koolaid and was too afraid to leave what i have known and worked towards for 10 years. After officially being ghosted from everyone I've worked with since my promotion, and starting my new job I have never ever been happier and don't know why i didn't leave target years ago. A ton of people told me leaving target was the best thing they have done and I totally see why now!
Sorry for the long sappy story, but I imagine im not the only one who has stayed in just plain fear of the unknown!

Fuck the unknown.

I mean, we don't know shit about it - right?

For me, going to work for Spot WAS the unknown.

The unknown has been easy-peasy, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back