Archived 4X4's??? How are they handled in your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are expected to do all the areas for that day. Not 3 aisles or just one area but all the areas for that day. It makes no sense. Yesterday I was the only hl and I was expected to do HBa and cosmetics. Oh and do reshop and help guests and cover electronics breaks.
Don't forget backups!

I don't understand how they expect it to get done ....and I forgot to mention. I am in a ULV Super

each day of the week we do a different area. for instance today we did consumables and shoes. Everyone except for logistics has to participate and it is divided up so if we are doing consumables and there's 30 aisles and 10 people .. each person gets 3 aisles. it starts right after the huddle and is supposed to last till 9 but most times its longer. from 7 - 8 we smart huddle and from 8 - 9 930 we 4x4. we are supposed to zone, clean, make labels, make signs, pull pita's(inventory control clips) forward, fill endcaps and that's about it. we also do this every day except sat and sun. our electronics tm usually 4x4's in electronics/entertainment.

The past 2 days our store had a all team 4x4 blitz after huddle which can turn into almost a hr or more doing 4x4's in a department each day. Im on a speciality team so each minute counts to finish our workload or we will be here late. Our STL said its not a store thing that is a company thing to blitz it out. I don't believe that, I know 4X4's are back but I want to know how and who are doing them.

Our store started this about a month ago. I hate it. I'm a pfresh assistant and I used to not even go to the morning huddle, because I was so busy doing my tasks. But now I am part of the 7am smart huddle team until the 8am store huddle. Then after the store huddle is over I am assigned an area in the store for the 4x4 process. We do this till 9, so the huddles are very short because we all have to do the 4x4 (plano, pricing, sfts, pfresh, etc.)

Now I don't have time to do TPCs let alone the daily cleaning tasks. We have had a 'green' food safety inspection every month until this past month. I know it's because the PAs are losing two hours every weekday morning.

Hey man, whatever!

Last edited:
3-5 people do our 4x4 walks...... takes almost 2 hours each... and there is no follow-up on them.... waste of time..... Must be a Tina project....lol..... Hours being cut more to the bone and not hiring for back to school.... Beginning to think I need to go here......
up-shit-creek-paddle-store.jpg

I really don't get this 4 x 4 walk & even more confused after reading this. I've been told so many different things & I ALWAYS get pulled from huddle. In my work station they have listed what aisles due each day for day shift & evening shift. He is the kicker. We get 10 aisles. I was told super zone, pull forward, print missing labels, flex over d-code, f
Adjust fixtures, print any missing sale signs, do outs, rain checks, & pull batches. 10 aisles I wasn't given time. Then when my ETL got back from vaycay she wanted to know what was taking me so long. This process is only for a 1/2 hour WHAT? Half hour do all that. I'm pissed b/c she's demanding this & I wanna know if everyone else gets 10 freakin aisles

If this is company wide I wonder why you guys get so much time? Why do I always get shocked about lake of consistency

My store has 3 people do 6-9 aisles a day. Takes a few hours to complete. Like others we super zone, print missing signs, scan outs, pull from the back, etc. I hate doing it. I despise opening now because I know I'll get the joy of doing them...Less hours. More work.

My store has no organization for it. It seems they're all asigned at random. We usually have just one Hardlines TM doing all of them while the other TMs just work on their zones.

The entire grocery section in one night by yourself? Wow. At my store, we only do 3 or 4 market aisles at a time, and we do those in a group.

That's assuming there is a nightly zone.

Ya on tuesday they told me I had to do the 4x4 for the entire market section on my opening shift. Asked if I needed help which obv I do and they sent someone from salesfloor and a new TM and from 8:30-12 they only got half of dry market done with 2 people in 7 hours combined. They somehow expect me to do it on my busiest day of the week though.

Just the dry market aisles are 160 4 foot sections along with 20 or so endcaps. Then you add in the backwall, freezer, dairy and pfresh and you are probably pushing 250-300 4 foot sections easy. If you spent just 1 minute per 4 foot section that would be 5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday I have milk coming in which takes literally an hour to take care of. It is always pretty empty from the weekend and because our backroom is on the opposite side of pfresh and I have to load all the milk onto a flatbed from a pallet in the cooler it takes a while. Usually its anywhere from a quarter to half full but usually its always around 150-200 gallons to push out and we dont have back loading cooler obv.

Then C+S also comes in which always takes 30 or so minutes between unboxing bananas, taking care of the pallets and just generally unloading the truck and cleaning up after it. We work it out the next day so it is all staged in the appropriate cooler.

There is the order which can take awhile depending on how thorough you want to make it along with having to help guests here and there along the way.

Had to deal with Vendors tuesday as well. Had a chat with a few of them and then we have an upcoming coke promotion on the 6th that info just dropped in about that I had to take to my receiver about.

Last edited:
wasnt market just reset? should have been easy

YET....it still took 2 people from 8:30-12 to do only half of dry. My dry market sections get obliterated every night. It doesnt help that school just got out and seasonal is located right next to it. I know the closer from the night before didnt get to the zone where they went through the 4x4 walk so maybe thats why it took a little longer?

Either way ...if you are actually doing it the way Target and Leadership want then its going to take some time to go through ALL of Market when you are the only one in market and you leave right when the closer comes in. This, on a day that you have to do the order, receive and stage C+S, deal with vendor issues, milk delivery day, smart huddle + huddle in paper, grabbing carts, answering phones and back up cashiering.

Also with the added bonus of pushing out all the morning autofills which always take 1 and 1/2 hours at the very least, the bread vendors backstock that they leave between deliveries, and ice. Then there is the SDA which lately has been at least 25 items, half of which always seem to be some sort of liquid that needs to be poured out after QMOSing.

Workbench has also been pissing me off lately with taking forever to load a few sections that I actually need to see. Online Planogram has been one of them where I need to see upcoming planograms for vendors and it crawls at a snails pace or says that my store number does not exist or it does not recognize it.

Despite all of my gripes and seemingly struggles though we keep being green since I have taken over working mostly mornings now without a CTL in the workcenter. We have actually gone up every single week and are now around 86.

Last edited:
well it doesnt sound like your store is doing the 4x4 right. and that sucks just remember its your job if they want you to 4x4 tne 4x4 i keep a journal of what i did each day and how long it took because then i have something to fall back on and trust me its come in handy

well it doesnt sound like your store is doing the 4x4 right. and that sucks just remember its your job if they want you to 4x4 tne 4x4 i keep a journal of what i did each day and how long it took because then i have something to fall back on and trust me its come in handy

Our 4x4 walk used to be a few sections of aisles in market every day. For example saturday was Pfresh and the Dairy Coolers and I believe freezer possibly as well.
I actually did something similar to that on tuesday. I wrote down what I did and the time ranges I did them in. I think it went something like this, probably left out a few things here and there.

6-6:25- Grab equipment and do SDA
6:25-8ish- Work out ALL morning pulls + vendor bread that is in the back + talk to milk vendor
8-8:25 Huddle + Break
8:30-9:30 Write down what I need for milk, grab flatbed, load flatbed with milk and work out milk...did this twice since we had so much to put out. Also had to talk to the LOD about the 4x4 walk for a good while.
9:30-10ish- Process and throw away/put in donation QMOS. Had to go to the opposite end of the backroom to grab our QMOS bin and had to track down trash bags since there were none to be found and they were all the way up near the entrance of the store in our stock room. Had a ton of liquids from the floor and backroom left all their stuff as well.
10ish-10:30ish- Was on workbench looking over all the information for the order, along with printing out vendor scorecards, looking at myperformance, and message boards. Was a memo that dropped in about the coke promotion starting July 6 that I needed to talk to my receiver about.
10:35 to 10:55- Received C+S and put the pallets in the correct location. Had to go to lunch before taking care of the banana pallet.
10:55-11:25ish. Lunch
11:25-When I left at 2:30 since I dont remember the exact times......

Came back to finish dealing with the banana pallet and combining what we had in the back with it and then putting the blue pallets back in receiving and dealing with the cardboard.

Took care of the corn because if we dont get it out of the box and into a wacco and trim it up mold grows on it literally within a day or 2, not to mention if there is ice in the box still it will leak all over the pallet and other product.

FINALLY did the order in which I found a couple things that were dated a while back in the backroom so I checked them and had to QMOS them out and put them in donation or trash.

Talked to my receiver about the coke promotion along with some other vendor issues for awhile.

And of course in all of that helping guests everywhere with Market and a bunch of non market sections.

Then the last thing I did was move and condense the clearance onto 2 endcaps instead of the 4 we had them on. Price change was going to go through them the next day and they looked terrible to begin with. I made it look super neat and organized and then it was time to go and the closer came in right as i was finishing up.

Most of my ETLs are super friendly and helpful to me so I might not be your typical PA/TM. I talk to them all the time when I am working. Im never afraid they will come down on me or I will get in trouble. Anytime they ask me to do additional tasks I tell them EXACTLY what actual market/pfresh tasks need to be done that are actually a priority before I can even get to it and about how long it will take me to do all the other stuff. If I dont get something done they asked I let them know and tell them why I was not able to complete it....what are they going to do fire me? I am really the only person who knows wtf is going on in market to begin with and have been there longer than any of them.

Lately...more than anything I think I am just frustrated at the workload and the ammount of tasks that are expected over in market versus the ammount of hours and TMs that they give to complete those tasks.

Doesnt help that they dont really seem to care to cross train anyone...or at least, not make it a priority even though another PA is leaving in a week who is the only other person who knows how to really order, my CTL is now gone on to another role, the other market TM only closes, and the only other person besides me who has been working there has not been properly trained in market yet but is a great TM(TL in waiting, like me).

Starting in July there is going to be me, who is in the active role of ctl without the title, Market TM who closes, and a TM on the TL bench who has not been trained in market and is also being pulled to work in electronics, and the front lanes occasionally, AND planogram. Kind of everywhere. Thats it...thats the market team...I got denied vacation because of it.....I guess I just never get to use my vacation even though I have like 50 + hours at the very least.

Last edited:
In my store EVERYONE has to stop and 4x4s. We huddle at 9 am and then spend approx. an hour to hour and a half doing the 4x4. ( mon- Friday)...we all do it doesn't matter if you are backroom and you have pulls to do, pricing with pricing left so on and so on. I find it odd that instead of breaking up the 4x4 workload...so that it doest take as long every day...my store will do all of Aall of G in one day...so on and so forth. Other work centers are falling behind...just seems to me it could be broken down so it wouldn't take as long .

4x4's PER workbench
  • If an aisle needs bad zoning, note it and MOVE on, you only zone if it's here and there.
  • Maintain labels; shoot labels, if an entire Aisle is missing enough that you have to reset an aisle then note it and MOVE on.
  • Replace old label holders, sign holders, and make it look clean!
  • Note any missing signs/displays give list to signing TM.
  • Remove old gray dots
  • Provide rain checks and substitutes in eligible sale items
  • Hand sheets to TL
  • Let them follow up
  • Go home
Also certain days mean certain departments; and they are UNIVERSAL for everyone

Hours should be used from sales floor. A team lead of the area delegates it to a TM

they do 4x4 for softlines on wed but they said it should be a super zone of softline

New planogram label batches tend to print with asterisks on items that don't have multiple locations on the floor. And we print labels after we tie and break old ties. So many times the asterisks are wrong rendering the whole thing useless.

If they want a dayside zoning team why don't they just create it. Or since Instocks is a big focus make that team bigger and have them zone, rsch, and fix signing instead of having them push trucks and making them the soa (save our a$$) team.

I'm not sure how hardlines does 4x4's at our store (I think they get 2 people and do a random section each week) but in softlines we do ours the same day every week. However, it's stupid because no one checks up on them after. We're expected to do them in less than an hour though with just one person. Good luck. *facepalm*

We have one person Monday thru Friday scheduled in log zone that does several aisles for 4 hours. There's a binder showing what aisles should be done every day for two weeks, then the two week schedule is started over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back