Archived 7 AM Truck unload

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogtired

Logistics Team Lead
So we just announced to our team on Friday that we'd no longer be unloading the truck at 5:30 AM. Our STL wants more team members on the floor to help serve our Guests more efficient in the afternoon. The new time is 7 AM. I observed the team members expressions and could tell some of them weren't too excited for this new layout. My question to you guys is do any of you come in at 7 AM for Flow? What are pros and cons you've come across? A few other stores in our area have been successful with this strategy. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks.

Wow that sounds awful. So theres going to be pallets bowled out all over the store while guests are shopping? I mean they do that at my store usually after 10pm, but theres hardly any guests left then....

Its not going to help the store image thats for sure.

That was a big concern for some of the team members. One TM said we might as well be Walmart. We usually are pretty slow until around 11 AM. That's when business picks up

Well, the 7am start time saves the store from having to pay the shift differential.....right?

Well, the 7am start time saves the store from having to pay the shift differential.....right?

Shift Diff was removed 2 years ago at a lot of the stores, we don't even get it if we work the random overnight / early morning shift. (6am current unload store)

So theres going to be pallets bowled out all over the store while guests are shopping?

Our store will be doing it as well. This may vary, but at least for our store I was told things won't be scanned off the truck and everything will be pushed. And there will be no bowling either.

So theres going to be pallets bowled out all over the store while guests are shopping?

Our store will be doing it as well. This may vary, but at least for our store I was told things won't be scanned off the truck and everything will be pushed. And there will be no bowling either.
Whoa. Don't understand how that is going to roll. Several stores in our region are goIng from overnight to a 4 am process. Never have heard of a 7am. Wow. That's gonna be a challenge.

The thing is the flow team has one mission in life to meet its speed goals because that is what they are on them about non stop. They do not care about guests, they do not help guests because unless an LOD or TL is standing their watching them their is no way to measure how much guest service they give. They do know that helping guests will not be accepted as a reason not to meet a speed goal. Before I left at least once a week their was complaint about the all people blocking aisle and not being any help. In a series of dumb ideas Target has had in last few years this might take the cake.

You summed it up Red. They say its going to give better Guest Service because of TM availability, but in reality it will make Flow less productive than 4am or Overnight. And we all know that leadership is going to be sympathetic if the work doesn't get done!

Also can anyone tell me how Target's overnight pay works now? I'm overnight at Walmart, and they gave me a $2 shift differential for working overnight (which puts me in the $10/hr area). From what I could gather, Flow doesn't get compensated nearly as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
You summed it up Red. They say its going to give better Guest Service because of TM availability, but in reality it will make Flow less productive than 4am or Overnight. And we all know that leadership is going to be sympathetic if the work doesn't get done!

Also can anyone tell me how Target's overnight pay works now? I'm overnight at Walmart, and they gave me a $2 shift differential for working overnight (which puts me in the $10/hr area). From what I could gather, Flow doesn't get compensated nearly as well?

really, you get $2 more for working at walmart, ****, maybe I should apply to a flow team like position at walmart overnights for some extra cash haha

In regards to the original post. My store used to start push at 4am and stay til about 8. By the time we opened mostly everything was clean except maybe a tub here or there. NOW, they come in from 6-10 and it is a BIG pain in the ass. I have to come in at 8 for pfresh now and they STILL have pallets and product everywhere and it just looks like total ****. I know when they changed the time there was talk of a ton of people thinking about quiting altogether since working til 10 now didnt work out with either jobs or school or whatever else they had going on. I cant even imagine them starting another hour later at 7. By 8 they would just start pushing and for 3 hours the store would be a wreck

I'd really like to see the figures on how much they save from going these routes... I don't imagine it can be very much (with a few exceptions).

I suppose they want to get out of paying overnight bonuses to TMs, which is probably the biggest money saver. However it negatively impacts Store Brand during store hours. Also, it will have a negative impact on TM culture and will probably force a lot of people to quit; people with other jobs/school who can't start transitioning into dayside. Basically they'll have to re-hire a good portion of their flow team which costs a good amount of $$$ per person to hire. This may be sustainable in the long term (will cost a lot of money at first though), but the impact on Store Brand will remain a constant; People won't see stuff if theres a pallet of push parked in front of it either, so you could consider it a loss in sales.

In regards to the original post. My store used to start push at 4am and stay til about 8. By the time we opened mostly everything was clean except maybe a tub here or there. NOW, they come in from 6-10 and it is a BIG pain in the ass. I have to come in at 8 for pfresh now and they STILL have pallets and product everywhere and it just looks like total ****. I know when they changed the time there was talk of a ton of people thinking about quiting altogether since working til 10 now didnt work out with either jobs or school or whatever else they had going on. I cant even imagine them starting another hour later at 7. By 8 they would just start pushing and for 3 hours the store would be a wreck

I'm curious myself to see how this goes. I'm brand new to being Flow TL... this new timing of 7 AM will come in effect sometime in April.

This thread is scary...even 4AM would make my A+ store fall apart.

BTW, insiteful1's store is transitioning to an 8AM process. Hate to find out what talan's store is doing...

BTW, insiteful1's store is transitioning to an 8AM process. Hate to find out what talan's store is doing...

Heck Overnight is falling apart at my A+ store due to hour cuts

There are rumors of overnight disappearing for any store that only takes 1 truck a day......

We're an A volume store about to switch to 4 AM, at least half the o/n team is leaving due to the change. They were told that overnight is pretty much going away for all but the highest volume stores

Just got the paperwork for it today, and unfortunately the time is 7:30am, not 7:00am for truck unload. LODS and Plano come in at 7am, backroom/flow/pricing at 7:30, instocks is at 9am now. The killer is telling us to schedule ad set up TMs at 7am on sunday.... legally we cant schedule people less than 3 hours, and it needs to still be done by store open, consider me baffled.

Just got the paperwork for it today, and unfortunately the time is 7:30am, not 7:00am for truck unload. LODS and Plano come in at 7am, backroom/flow/pricing at 7:30, instocks is at 9am now. The killer is telling us to schedule ad set up TMs at 7am on sunday.... legally we cant schedule people less than 3 hours, and it needs to still be done by store open, consider me baffled.

OH...MY....GOD :suicide2:

What is this...I dont even..........

HOW. How is that even possible. So all the pulls arent even pulled til like 9? And then they need to be worked out still. Lets not forget pfresh as well. Also lol at having Ad team come in at 7 as well. My Ad team has 4 people on it and it usually takes them from 4-8 to get everything done since they have to scan everything in before even putting it up. I would just quit if that was my store

There are rumors of overnight disappearing for any store that only takes 1 truck a day......

Good thing we get at least one GM truck every night then, along with our P-Fresh trucks from C&S.

Wait so there will be pre-11 cafs?

Nope, those are the early morning autofills (i.e. what the flow team pushes...or should be pushing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back