Archived 90 Probation Period

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about 2/3 of the way done with my 90 days and I'm worried if they'll keep me on after my days are up. When I'm at work I give it all I got, try my best to help out in the areas that need it, and I generally get along with most of the GSAs, but I do have some concerns. My main concern is that I've had to call out twice due to illness, both times that was the only solution, and I know that attendance is a big part of the review. I don't want to be seen as unreliable to my TLs and other than showing up on time and not taking anymore days off, is there anything else I can do to show that they can count on me? Does anybody have any tips in general when it comes to looking good during the review? Thanks so much!

Lay low, don't call out, & see if you are still on schedule in January. You have 2 strikes for call outs against you, so far.

Is this a "three strikes your out" kind of situation or am I just working on damage control here?

If you want to stand out, do the following & they may forget about your call-outs:
Stay late when asked/come in early when asked.
Keep a change of red & khaki in your car & your cell phone on.
Answer even if you can't take the shift but thank them for thinking of you.
Be punctual on your breaks & lunches, don't dawdle.
Always find something to do If you're cashiering you can zone lane endcaps (keep a light on as you go), collect abandons/strays, pick up hangers, etc.
On the salesfloor you can zone, work out strays, answer call buttons/calls in your area.
These are what they look for when deciding who to keep.

My TLs are already reviewing the seasonal hires for the keep/get rid of process. We actually have one or two they'd like to drop now if we weren't so low staffed for the holidays. If you come to work to work and do your best to follow directions in all tasks and ask questions when you're not sure (and learn from the answers to those questions) and NEVER NEVER NEVER (I can't say it enough) stand around doing nothing but talking because "there's nothing to do" then you have a better chance than those who don't. I have told all my new trainees that if they like the job then absolutely take every opportunity to learn everything they can. The more you know, the more valuable you are and the more likely you are to get asked to stay.

And for pete's sake... if you're on a 90 day probation remember that every task you are asked to do will be used to assess you. That means always do your best in everything you're given to do and do NOT half-ass anything. >< One of the areas in softlines in our district (maybe the whole company) that's a challenge to keep up is the shoe department. I asked one of our new seasonal hires to fix all the displays. I told her I wasn't looking for her to zone. I just wanted every fact tag in the shoe department to have the correct shoe over it and ONLY one of the correct shoe. Then she was to take any doubles and find their boxes and if they did NOT have boxes she was to bring them to the FRO to be boxed. She came back in 30 minutes and said "I'm done".... I went back and walked with her and I'm not really sure what (if anything) she did. I explained again what I wanted and gave her another go at it. The TL said she still didn't get it right.

@redeye58 - lots of good advice there! :)

My TLs are already reviewing the seasonal hires for the keep/get rid of process.

Damn, already? Good thing I cornered my TL and let her know that I would love to cross train and stay on after seasonal. I even said I'd like to learn how to print the sale labels when asked about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back