Archived A question about overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweatyShirts

Backroom, Cashier, Hardlines, Instocks, TL Wannabe
Disclaimer: I'm not clocking in and out incorrectly or otherwise manipulating things to get overtime. I clock in/out exactly as I should be according to my schedule.

So anyway I've been having my STL and the ETL-Salesfloor start giving me a lot more hours and even going so far as approving any overtime I get in the process.

Like I worked everyday consecutively since the 30th of last month so I got 7th day overtime for a 4 hour shift and now I'm getting an extra 2 hours overtime via a 10 hour shift.

Now I'm not complaining, my bosses are happy and they clearly like me working but it just doesn't make sense given what I thought was policy that no overtime was given except for being short staffed.

Thoughts?

Very much ASANTS (All Stores Are Not The Same).
I'd take it while you can since a sudden leadership change could cut that off cold.

I say go for it. In my store, overtime isn't allowed no matter what. If you don't mind the longer hours, the added work-related stress, and your STL is allowing it, I'd take that extra money.

Reactions: Him
All summer is a dry spell. The college kids come back home and each get 16 hours per week. A few hard working get 24 hours.

I used to work in LOG and we had approved overtime all Q4 and a little after. Nobody cared if I stayed late to get some more work done to come clean for the following day. Definitely not this far into the year for us, but anything's possible.

It sounds like you're in a state with strict overtime laws, in which case it just might be a bit more normal to have to approve OT to get things done.

Working 10 hour shifts or 7 days in a row isn't OT in most of the country, unless it puts you over 40 hours for the week.

It sounds like you're in a state with strict overtime laws, in which case it just might be a bit more normal to have to approve OT to get things done.

Working 10 hour shifts or 7 days in a row isn't OT in most of the country, unless it puts you over 40 hours for the week.

California here so overtime is mandatory on every shift longer than 8 hours regardless of total hours per week. And all hours worked on a 7th consecutive day of work is OT. But that applies to a work week starting Sunday and ending Saturday. So after 10 consecutive days, I'd get only 1 day of overtime under that rule because of a new work week.

In addition to any hours that exceeds 40 hours in any given work week, obviously.

California here so overtime is mandatory on every shift longer than 8 hours regardless of total hours per week. And all hours worked on a 7th consecutive day of work is OT. But that applies to a work week starting Sunday and ending Saturday. So after 10 consecutive days, I'd get only 1 day of overtime under that rule because of a new work week.

In addition to any hours that exceeds 40 hours in any given work week, obviously.

Wow, I wish we had these OT laws. We only get it for over 40.

As if you didn't have enough reason to transfer to a California Target, we also have mandatory two paid 15 minutes break and a 45 minute unpaid lunch for every shift that's 6 hours or longer. Single paid 15 if it's under 6 hours.

But meal compliance is stricter I think, we have to by law start our lunches before the 6th hour of work or Target gets fined. So company policy out here is lunch gets taken before the 5th hour or we get a strike for meal compliance. 3 strikes is auto-termination without appeal. Shit applies for everyone except for the ETLs and STL I think, anybody who isn't salary.

WA here.

6 hr shift is 2 paid 15's and a 30 minute unpaid lunch. You're out of meal compliance at the 5th hour.

I wish we had OT at 8 hrs+... But then my STL would throw a fit every week.

If you want to work overtime and your Leadership is approving it, its all good. You just do not want to acquire it without their say so.

Stores have a small budget for overtime hours. So it has to be rationed out carefully.

If you start acquiring overtime, even for one minute and someone questions it, you want to make sure you can say the STL or ETL approved it. Or you will be dinged for unauthorized overtime.

I had 5 minutes of overtime working FA back in the day because FA had not TL at the time, no overlapping coverage, daily prep work needed to be done and FA was insanely being slammed by quests. Luckily I just got Coached on it.

Last edited:
WA here.

6 hr shift is 2 paid 15's and a 30 minute unpaid lunch. You're out of meal compliance at the 5th hour.

I wish we had OT at 8 hrs+... But then my STL would throw a fit every week.

City of Seattle enacted overtime for over 8 hours. They do b.s. now like schedule people for 7.75 but they also get 2 paid sick days for every 160 hours.

If you want to work overtime and your Leadership is approving it, its all good. You just do not want to acquire it without their say so.

Stores have a small budget for overtime hours. So it has to be rationed out carefully.

If you start acquiring overtime, even for one minute and someone questions it, you want to make sure you can say the STL or ETL approved it. Or you will be dinged for unauthorized overtime.

I think that's partly why my STL feels safe giving it to me as needed, because I clock in/out exactly as I'm scheduled to the minute and she knows I won't abuse it by clocking in 5 minutes early and out 5 minutes late. Plus it just keeps the math simple and easy.

I think that's partly why my STL feels safe giving it to me as needed, because I clock in/out exactly as I'm scheduled to the minute and she knows I won't abuse it by clocking in 5 minutes early and out 5 minutes late. Plus it just keeps the math simple and easy.

Let's say you are an A volume store with 160 team members. Maybe 70-80 on a grid each day. If 24 people clock in 5 minutes early suddenly you have burned through two hours of pay roll. 14 hours a week, 68 a month. It does add up

Let's say you are an A volume store with 160 team members. Maybe 70-80 on a grid each day. If 24 people clock in 5 minutes early suddenly you have burned through two hours of pay roll. 14 hours a week, 68 a month. It does add up

Shit, that's pretty close to an extra part time employee.

So a bit of an unrelated question but looking at those hypothetical numbers, it's obvious there's a need to set hours aside on reserve to cover for that variable but generally what happens if a store exceeds or falls under their allocated payroll?

Shit, that's pretty close to an extra part time employee.

So a bit of an unrelated question but looking at those hypothetical numbers, it's obvious there's a need to set hours aside on reserve to cover for that variable but generally what happens if a store exceeds or falls under their allocated payroll?

When the ETL HR audits a schedule they usually bank a few hours for the inevitable going over or call ins thay happens on busy weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back