Archived A teammate that grinds my gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work as part of the Overnight flow team. While the job can be tiring and can be stressful (Our store still does all the unloading ONLY during nightshift) the fast pace keeps me from watching the clock and all.

My one compliant, is this team-mate that is always assigned to work the same area as me, yet refuses to even touch boxes that look big. I mean...did she just NOT READ the part of the application that says must be able to lift up to fifty pounds? The boxes aren't even heavy, just small furniture that doesn't even require assembly.

Just irks me to think our area is done, then wander down the isle to find random big boxes strewn about on parts she said she did. -.-

Anyone else deal with this?

Welcome to The Break Room.

Never had to deal with that exactly.
I have had some woman pull the 'I can't do that it's too heavy and I'm a woman card' at which point I point out that my mom was a volunteer fire fighter who handled a fire hose by herself and tossed hay bales six tiers.
If you have a bad back or need a team lift I'm happy to help but don't ever pull that 'weaker sex' crap on me.

JC2z02F.png

I've never dealt with this at Target, but at my other job, I'm one of very few males. I'm the only guy on my shift, so I get stuck killing all the spiders. -_-

I've never understood girls reveling in being physically weak. "Yeah, I can't even lift the dog food bags we carry here." Said with a sense of pride??? Then again, I've seen guys do the same thing with intelligence: "I haven't read a book in 5 years, and that was because it was for high school!" Congratulations?

Now, with that said, your TM might have an injury or a condition that you don't know about. Maybe just ask "Do you need help with these boxes?"

I burned myself pretty bad in Food Ave. Yet I returned no problem.

I did come across one older guy applicant that pulled me to the application station, and complained that he had carpal tunnel syndrome and because of the ADA he demanded that someone fill out his application for him. You have carpal tunnel syndrome and you want to work in retail....Good luck.

It all depends on this TM. Sometimes they hire someone or something happens where they can be put on limited duty or can only lift so many pounds. But if you can't move boxes working on Flow, you need to be in a different workcenter.

I once overheard a softlines TM asking a BR LOD if he or someone else could backstock a single box for her. The LOD asks why she won't do it herself. She responds, clearly embarrassed, "it's too heavy and it goes up high."

I felt bad for her because she's a very good worker and wasn't proud of the fact she couldn't do that.

I did come across one older guy applicant that pulled me to the application station, and complained that he had carpal tunnel syndrome and because of the ADA he demanded that someone fill out his application for him. You have carpal tunnel syndrome and you want to work in retail....Good luck.

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel many years ago when I worked at a dry cleaners. It really doesn't interfere too much with working in retail. Worked at a bank for 5 years with minimal problems. I think that guy just was trying to use it as an excuse.

@LoveCats - I hope I didn't offend. Pretty impressive if you can work in those environments like that with that kind of pain.

The people I met with it usually have special gloves. And have spells of aches every once in a while. But never used it as an excuse for anything.

But to add, this guy hands were pretty jacked up from what I remember and he was complaining how we should just give him any job he wanted or accomedated him because of his disability and that the ADA said so (in all the 5 minutes of cornering me while trying to return from break to cashier). And claimed to have a doctors note that prohibited him from lifting anything more than a few pounds. I just ended the conversation with, "I will get someone from HR or someone who can answer your questions...I am just a cashier," and ran.

I had carpel tunnel surgery on both my hands as well as trigger finger releases on four fingers.
Which is why I don't work in restaurants anymore, just can't hold a knife or pans for long periods and do it accurately.

I probably shouldn't do many of the jobs I've done, but you work what's available.
When I'm old there is a good chance I will be really pissed off at myself for the damage I've done to myself.

The guy was only half right, they can't discriminate about hiring him but they don't have to find him a job.
It's real easy to say, 'he didn't fit our needs' and then it falls to him to prove otherwise.
I've been dealing with that because of my epilepsy all my working life.

@LoveCats - I hope I didn't offend. Pretty impressive if you can work in those environments like that with that kind of pain.

The people I met with it usually have special gloves. And have spells of aches every once in a while. But never used it as an excuse for anything.

But to add, this guy hands were pretty jacked up from what I remember and he was complaining how we should just give him any job he wanted or accomedated him because of his disability and that the ADA said so (in all the 5 minutes of cornering me while trying to return from break to cashier). And claimed to have a doctors note that prohibited him from lifting anything more than a few pounds. I just ended the conversation with, "I will get someone from HR or someone who can answer your questions...I am just a cashier," and ran.

You didn't offend me. I was just commenting. I usually don't have pain (thank goodness). Just the numbness. I find that if I try to wear my splints at night it does help. I've never had surgery but have been seeing my chiropractor who really has been helping.

I've never understood girls reveling in being physically weak. "Yeah, I can't even lift the dog food bags we carry here." Said with a sense of pride??? Then again, I've seen guys do the same thing with intelligence: "I haven't read a book in 5 years, and that was because it was for high school!" Congratulations?

Now, with that said, your TM might have an injury or a condition that you don't know about. Maybe just ask "Do you need help with these boxes?"

I'm a girl and unless the box is bigger than me (sometimes happens with big furniture pieces) or it says team lift, I will at least attempt to move it myself. Being in p-fresh often don't have much of a choice. The 40lb boxes of bananas & 50lb bags of potatoes aren't going to move themselves onto my cart.

I'm a girl and unless the box is bigger than me (sometimes happens with big furniture pieces) or it says team lift, I will at least attempt to move it myself. Being in p-fresh often don't have much of a choice. The 40lb boxes of bananas & 50lb bags of potatoes aren't going to move themselves onto my cart.

What about the 40lb turkey boxes :)

What about the 40lb turkey boxes :)

Those as well. Although I have to admit there were some of the smaller turkeys that had like 4 in a box & weighed close to 80 lbs that I did ask for help for. Come on I barely weigh over 100 lbs myself.

I probably shouldn't do many of the jobs I've done, but you work what's available.
When I'm old there is a good chance I will be really pissed off at myself for the damage I've done to myself.
FWIW... my dad fits this description.

He kept working for 10 years beyond what his neurologist recommended, out of loyalty to the family business (for my cousins and I, and my grandmother - not to his brother). It basically destroyed his future retirement, and that coupled with his additional medical issues has him "chair ridden" at this point :(

Take care of yourself, if he got a do over he'd take the early retirement/disability in hopes of having some mobility and a better quality of life later. That whole hindsight thing.....

I work as part of the Overnight flow team. While the job can be tiring and can be stressful (Our store still does all the unloading ONLY during nightshift) the fast pace keeps me from watching the clock and all.

My one compliant, is this team-mate that is always assigned to work the same area as me, yet refuses to even touch boxes that look big. I mean...did she just NOT READ the part of the application that says must be able to lift up to fifty pounds? The boxes aren't even heavy, just small furniture that doesn't even require assembly.

Just irks me to think our area is done, then wander down the isle to find random big boxes strewn about on parts she said she did. -.-

Anyone else deal with this?

This is a complicated matter. Some women do that at my store because they prefer men do alot of the work and some women do that because they actually have physical pain. The former thinking is part of the reason I am willing to do all the heavy lifting the ladies won't do. It's also the reason I need to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back