Archived About compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i don't clock out for lunch until :59 of my 5th hour, am i hitting compliance? i clocked in at exactly 7am and time got away from me and i made it up to tmsc at 12:58 and once i finished clocking out for lunch it was 12:59.

my tl talked to me on their way out about it and they said that i might still show up on the compliance report tomorrow, and i wanted to know if there's like a thing where i have to like clock out a certain amount of time before my sixth hour in order to not be in compliance

Ck on max. It sounds like you were seconds away from compliance. Always hit the back room clock, if you are closer to it.

If you're working an 8-hour shift, try to take your lunch in the middle if possible. But if you're taking a late lunch, you should punch out at least 15 min before your 6th hour (this is when you'd have to punch out for the longest possible lunchless shift), unless you're in a 5-hour state (which you're apparently not).

Ck on max. It sounds like you were seconds away from compliance. Always hit the back room clock, if you are closer to it.

This is not the solution. Then you are wasting part of your break in the store, potentially having to wait on passi g customers. Your LOD should be planning your breaks according to your time schedule, and its up to you to make sure you get up to TSC on time.

Many stores have policies that TMs must clock out for lunch before the 5th hour.

thanks for the replies everyone

i checked max and it listed the times i thought i got, 7-12:59. i think my store's policy is to take lunch by your fifth hour, vs before it. i spoke w my etlhr and they said that since i was a minute from my sixth hour i managed to miss compliance. i've been waiting until like the last half hour to take my lunch but i'm gonna start going earlier just bc i want to cover my back.

is there a general backroom clock location in all stores? i've never actually seen one in the backroom or receiving

It is suggest to use the back room clock when you so close to your 6th hour. Our clock is located near the restrooms in the back room. Take a look around back there or ask a back room tm.
You had lucked out under 1 minute from complicate.

If you use the backroom timeclock, then put on a jacket or something so guests don't think you're on the clock when you're walking through the store.

thanks for the replies everyone

i checked max and it listed the times i thought i got, 7-12:59. i think my store's policy is to take lunch by your fifth hour, vs before it. i spoke w my etlhr and they said that since i was a minute from my sixth hour i managed to miss compliance. i've been waiting until like the last half hour to take my lunch but i'm gonna start going earlier just bc i want to cover my back.

is there a general backroom clock location in all stores? i've never actually seen one in the backroom or receiving

Not every store has a backroom time clock, and some stores that had previously have removed them during pfresh or other remodels.

We are reminded of compliance at almost literally every huddle, whether we've had violations in the recent past or not. If we have a TM or TL come within 15 minutes of compliance the ETL will call for them on walkie or find them to ensure they are clocking out, as the PDA sends an alert. Does your store not do that?

If we have a TM or TL come within 15 minutes of compliance the ETL will call for them on walkie or find them to ensure they are clocking out, as the PDA sends an alert. Does your store not do that?

ETLs at my store do it, but they don't have a PDA on them at all times. I understand that sometimes people lose track of time, but you really shouldn't have to be reminded to go to lunch.

We don't have a backroom timeclock either. I think it is so hypocritical for the management harp on people about taking their lunches. Case in point: I never hear ... you should be taking your lunch at such and such time because you deserve the break and you will work better. What I hear is ... Don't go into compliance because we might get in trouble.

I get that it is a law. But they also know so many people are not taking breaks. Hmmm ... they don't seem to have a problem with that. I wonder why. Oh that's right! They don't really care. If you can get people to work for free 30 minutes a day, woo hoo! And since we don't clock in and out for break, there is no way track it.

I have an solution though. Whenever I take a long break, I just think about all those poor people not taking theirs. Oh well, that evens it all out then. The non-break takers feel like they are martyring themselves and I am reading in the breakroom. We can't all be overachievers.

if i don't clock out for lunch until :59 of my 5th hour, am i hitting compliance? i clocked in at exactly 7am and time got away from me and i made it up to tmsc at 12:58 and once i finished clocking out for lunch it was 12:59.

my tl talked to me on their way out about it and they said that i might still show up on the compliance report tomorrow, and i wanted to know if there's like a thing where i have to like clock out a certain amount of time before my sixth hour in order to not be in compliance

Yeah! You made it (with 0 minutes to spare) on time. You won't show up on compliance..... Don't cut it that close again! :)

There is no law that says you have to have a lunch at any given time during your work hours. Technically you don't have to have a lunch at all. This is just a Target Policy and that is all there is to it.

My store we were told to write people up on compliance, I had a guy on a final for meal violations, and he did it again. Guess what you cant fire anyone for meal violations is what my HR told me. So it was like ok glad I'm doing unnecessary paperwork since nothing is going to happen with it. LOL

It depends on state law. My state is at will. They are worried more about minors getting breaks than adults.

Your correct

Here is a summary of the individual state lunch labor laws. Note that not all industries are required to comply with these regulations in each state.

California – 1/2 hour after 5 hours worked, unless shift is only 6 hours

Colorado – 1/2 hour after 5 hours worked, unless shift is only 6 hours

Connecticut – if shift is 7.5 hours, 1/2 hour lunch after first 2 hours but before last 2 hours

Delaware – if shift is 7.5 hours, 1/2 hour lunch after first 2 hours but before last 2 hours

Illinois – required for hotel room attendants only

Kentucky – reasonable meal period between 3rd and 5th hour of shift

Maine – 1/2 hour after 6 consecutive hours

Massachusetts – 1/2 hour, if work is more than 6 hours

Minnesota – reasonable period, if shift is 8+ consecutive hours

Nebraska – 1/2 hour, off premises, at suitable lunch time

Nevada – 1/2 hour, if work is 8 consecutive hours

New Hampshire – 1/2 hour, after 5 consecutive hours – unless employee can eat while working

New York – 1/2 hour, if shift is more than 6 hours

North Dakota – 1/2 hour, if work is more than 5 hours

Oregon – 1/2 hour

Rhode Island – 20 minutes for 6 hour shift; 30 minutes for 8 hour shift

Tennessee – 1/2 hour, if shift is 6 hours

Washington – 1/2 hour, for 5 hour shift

West Virginia – 20 minutes, if work is more than 6 consecutive hours

My state does not have any lunch laws at all.

What most national corporations do is take the state with the strictest laws and make that the general rule.
So you get, California – 1/2 hour after 5 hours worked, applied to everybody.
And yea, they will fire you in another state because it is company policy you are breaking.

I'm still stumped as to why we have to take 46 min lunches in NY if the law only requires 30 min. At my other job, I only get a 30 min lunch, but I don't have to take it if my shift is exactly 6 hours (only if it's longer).

Target has been sued by tm and fined by the states.

They want to prove that they are giving you plenty of time for a meal break.

ETLs at my store do it, but they don't have a PDA on them at all times. I understand that sometimes people lose track of time, but you really shouldn't have to be reminded to go to lunch.

It's pretty common that people lose track of time and cut it close, sometimes the reminder is their first indication. Often times this happens with people who have worked for Target longer than this enforced policy or have worked in companies where the state law isn't enforced.

Also, in some work centers coverage may be scant and only allow lunches to be taken with very little leeway, causing a problem. If Starbucks or Target Cafe has a team member start at 6:00 and their relief comes in at 10:45 but pulls an NCNS, the opener may not keep a close eye on the clock, relying on their coworker to be there for their shift (which isn't unreasonable). Likewise in the pharmacy if the closer returns from lunch before the opener goes home only to get stuck at the end of the night staying late due to a large number of last minute prescriptions. Having the LOD get alarmed of these instances can help ensure someone is trying to have the situation fixed if the team member stuck in the middle of it is between a line of guests themselves.

EDIT: fix broken quote.

I keep my cell with me at all times, just for the alarm. I set it for 30 minutes before I hit compliance and don't turn it off until I am safely clocked out for lunch. I have to as I get caught up with what I'm doing, and time just flies by..........

I keep my cell with me at all times, just for the alarm. I set it for 30 minutes before I hit compliance and don't turn it off until I am safely clocked out for lunch. I have to as I get caught up with what I'm doing, and time just flies by..........

I do this too..I also set an alarm to do the PTM task list :)

I always took my break in the middle of my shift that way I would avoid any running for clock (after doing that a couple of times).
Also tried to time it so I would go just before they called the huddle.

I always took my break in the middle of my shift that way I would avoid any running for clock (after doing that a couple of times).
Also tried to time it so I would go just before they called the huddle.

I like getting paid to stand around. I worked a 6.5 hour shift recently, took a lunch, a break, and went to two huddles. I worked about 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back