Archived Above and Beyond the Call of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
We had a male team member last night drive a guest home whose car had broken down.

I think that would be the line, I think the most I have done is call five different stores for a guest.

Can you think of a time when you went out of your way or took a big chunk of your time to help a guest.

Last edited:
I have jump started cars, and we have had a TM change a tire. A few times, ETLS have driven mdse to other stores for guests. I stayed about half an hour after once in winter because a guest was waiting for her ride and I didn't want to leave her alone at night in the cold. We waited inside and had a nice chat.

I was riding my bike home and had just got out of the parking lot when I saw a driver's license on the side of the road, right after that was credit card receipts.
I looked up and down the road and could see bits and pieces of the contents of someones wallet spread all for about the length of a football field, then I found the wallet.
I ran out into the road, dodged cars and collected as much of the contents as I could.

Taking the wallet back to the store, the HRTM was just about to call the lady when she came into the store asking about it.
When I gave it to her and explained what happened, she just grabbed it, and walked out.
I'd do it again but people like that make you not want to.

I've jump-started cars for guests & TMs, taught a TM how to change her tire, waited with TMs after close for their rides, given rides, loaned a hoodie to a TM who didn't have one & was riding the bus home, bought lunch for a couple TMs who were too far out from payday, fixed hot tea for sickly TMs/TLs/ETLs, bought a meal for a homeless guy so he could stay in our store until a storm rolled past.

I've changed tires for tms as well as rides home. once had a guest who was a single mom that looked like she had just been beaten come in trying to get clothes and food for her kids. You could tell she was down on her luck so I paid her entire bill. 6mos later she comes in and looks 10 times better and walks over to where I was and started thanking me again explaining that she was on the verge of suicide and felt terrible she couldn't provide for her kids and handed me a check for 3x what her bill was and said I was solely responsible for saving her life and now that she is finally back on her feet she wanted to make me while again she just didn't know my last name to finish filling out the check. I told her just make it out to a charity and that seeing that she was better was the best reward

Naw, I'm just the 'store mom'.
It's great people like this that's kept me with this company so long. I have brought coffee, donuts for my shift/shifts. Hold your breaths y'all... I've truly listened. Guests, tm's, TL's, ETL's, STL's, etc. Truly just listening to someone and sometimes just being a soundboard as to get what they need off their chests apparently goes A Long Way!!

Naw, I'm just the 'store mom'.

I have taught a TM how to change a tire, then helped her buy tires for the car. She had no idea where to even start, much less afford something decent. Took care of it and got paid back. Jump started more cars than I can count. I have a jeep, it a few times climbed the islands to get to cars who needed a jump. Driven a few TM's home in the snow or dumping rain.. Also used to pick one up on the way to work, I used to see him at the bus stop and scoop him up.. Save him a few bucks here and there. Another mom here..

Jumped two cars, changed a tire.

The best "above and beyond the call" story was from another team member towards me. One of my team members loaned me $200 to take a law enforcement entrance exam and take the first step towards my dream career. There are very few people in the world that have a heart as big as his. If you're a member here on TBR and you end up reading this, you know who you are, and I can never, ever thank you enough.

Hold your breaths y'all... I've truly listened. Guests, tm's, TL's, ETL's, STL's, etc. Truly just listening to someone and sometimes just being a soundboard as to get what they need off their chests apparently goes A Long Way!!

I do this too. It's amazing how people respond to someone taking a few extra minutes just to stop and listen. Not to just to hear but to listen.

I scrape windows of tm's cars when I leave and it's snowing. I have jumpstarted the cars of many guests and stayed with some while they wait for a towtruck. (off the clock) I've picked tm's up when their car breaks down, bring cookies, fill the candy dish on the desk, paid for lunches. I've given poor college student tm's coats and gloves, left Christmas and birthday gifts for the kids of the struggling tm single parents, left an anonymous giftcard for some who I thought might need it, brought meals to the families of tm's who have been hospitalized. I listen to the older guests who just need to talk to someone or the tm who looks like they are having a down day and let the LOD know if there is a problem that they may not be aware of (pet died, grandma is sick, etc.) I offer to assist the mom who has a child that is having a meltdown (a different matter than a temper tantrum and I recognize the difference). When I ask a tm how they are, I actually listen to how they are. It's not so much as going above and beyond as being compassionate and empathetic. People are kind to me and I like to think it's because I'm kind to people. What goes around comes around.

I've given multiple TM's rides home in the rain/snow when they didn't have a ride. I brought some food during the holiday seasons. I've helped guests with computer issues off and on the clock. I'm still comparatively new to target, (6 months in feb) so I haven't had much time to rack up "beyond the call of duty" experience but I hope to make a career out of it if college doesn't go correctly.

I asked if I could help a guy jump start his car, was told no lol.

Sucks. I had to be the bad guy and tell him none of us can help and that he's stranded unless a guest stops to help him. Thank God another CA was actually getting off 10 minutes later and helped him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back