Archived accidental no call no show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosemlks

your local target barista
so.. i'm a bit dumb and thought today was friday instead of saturday. i showed up to my tarbucks where i work at to get a drink and my coworkers ask me "where were you" and i was confused! i told them i opened tomorrow and not today but they swore it was today. while waiting for my drink, i checked the schedule and they were right..

this would be my first no call no show and it was an honest mistake. how strict is target on no call no shows? will i get fired?? has anyone ever had an experience with a no call no show? i'm praying that i won't. i'm a senior in high school and am currently saving up to move to colorado for college.

If you have worked less than 90 days, cya later. If you're over 90 days, you get a regular counseling corrective action. This is the real world now, not high school.

ASANTS. In my 5+ years at Target I have accidentally NCNS'd a few times (usually due to an alarm malfunctioning or misreading the schedule). My store usually calls people if they're more than 30m late so I never missed a full shift; I was just late. I was aways apologetic and they were typically very understanding; sometimes they would change me in the schedule so I wasn't dinged for attendance. Keep in mind that my attendance is usually flawless and I only call out 2-3 times a year. So I may have built up enough good-will that it wasn't that big of a deal.

I would make sure that you approach your TL and make sure they understand the circumstances of your NCNS and be very apologetic..even though they still might coach you, it will help you for them to know that it was an accident and not something you did for no good reason. However, like I said, ASANTS and if you already have poor attendance it will not look good.

If you have worked less than 90 days, cya later. If you're over 90 days, you get a regular counseling corrective action. This is the real world now, not high school.

yeah, this is my second job i've had so i'm pretty aware of what the real world is like. just wanted to know how target deals with no call no shows, thanks.

ASANTS. In my 5+ years at Target I have accidentally NCNS'd a few times (usually due to an alarm malfunctioning or misreading the schedule). My store usually calls people if they're more than 30m late so I never missed a full shift; I was just late. I was aways apologetic and they were typically very understanding; sometimes they would change me in the schedule so I wasn't dinged for attendance. Keep in mind that my attendance is usually flawless and I only call out 2-3 times a year. So I may have built up enough good-will that it wasn't that big of a deal.

I would make sure that you approach your TL and make sure they understand the circumstances of your NCNS and be very apologetic..even though they still might coach you, it will help you for them to know that it was an accident and not something you did for no good reason. However, like I said, ASANTS and if you already have poor attendance it will not look good.

okay! i've only called out twice so far and i'm usually good with attendance. thanks! :)

I've done this once. No one gave a shit. My gstl mentioned it the next day, and I never heard of it again. I'm assuming since I otherwise had no attendance issues, and was a reliable tm, they trusted it was a mistake. Definitely a case of asants. Just apologize, and don't do it again, you'll be fine.

how strict is target on no call no shows? will i get fired?? has anyone ever had an experience with a no call no show? i'm praying that i won't.

Hi rosemlks! From reading other's responses, it seems like ASANTS. Some stores may be more lenient.

I can share what happens at my store:
- Under 90 Days: You are warned and get one more chance. If you NCNS a second time, you are gone.
- Over 90 Days: Guaranteed corrective action but not fired (unless you were on a final or something).

I’ve been with Target 10+ years.

About 4 years ago I had an accidental NCNS. LOD called me to make sure I was okay. It was unlike me to NCNS, and I had been there several years without one. I came in (albeit late) and the LOD adjusted my schedule so it didn’t show an attendance problem.

Last year it happened again. I read the schedule wrong. New crop of ETLs. No one called me at home. Like you, I came in to shop and LOD was all “where were you??” Two weeks later I was written up. 6 months probation for attendance problems... whatever... (I’m still pissy about it)

ASANTS and who you are.

Has happened to me twice and almost a third time. Both times I derped big time and looked at the wrong row on the schedule grid, the TM under me had the day off and I thought that was me. My store doesn't allow leads to call and ask where the hell you are if you haven't shown up, and I wasn't used to that since my last 2 jobs would blow my phone up if I was running more than 10 minutes late. Only thing that happened was "Where the FUCK where you yesterday?! We could've really used you!!!" and after I talked to HR about and admitted the goof they just did a switcheroo with the missed day and my next day off so I was able to make up for it.

The next time it almost happened was because like OP I thought it was Wednesday when it was actually Tuesday...whoops...but the BR-TL who is a huge CTT777 fan (who isn't?) sent me a sneaky text that just said "Ahem" and I hightailed it to Target as quick as I could (15 min late). But they fixed that on the schedule as well so my rap sheet remains officially blank to this day.

Moral of the story: A little ass-kissing here and there goes a very long way

I'm honestly a bit surprised I haven't managed to NCNS by accident yet, particularly this week with the holidays and vacation time from my day job and all of that. I've become a bit obsessive about schedule-checking and date checking because I'm super paranoid of doing this exact thing.

Though with my luck I'd go the other way and think it was Friday when it was really Thursday and come in a day early and have people be all "what are you doing here?" and feeling like an idiot.

Just a write up, I've done it twice. Just don't do it again. I'm not on my final because both incidents were a certain period of months separate(I forget what the time period is)

edit: if you are within 90 days you can probably say g'bye unless you're well liked... but generally, even then it's still a term.

okay! i've only called out twice so far and i'm usually good with attendance. thanks! :)

Calling out at Starbucks is huge because there is rarely anyone else available to cover. It's not like Cashier or Guest Service where you have numerous TM's who can cover.

It's pretty hard to get fired at Starbucks if you have good attendance. It's really the only way to get fired - attendance issues.

My (former) store is keeping:
3 incompetent baristas (I guarantee they cannot make the top ten most basic drinks correctly)
1 guest service nightmare of a barista
1 barista who is "in charge" of ordering, yet they are out of no less than 10 majorly important products every week (example: cups, soy milk, etc)
5 baristas who are blatantly stealing product every single shift.

I suggest that you go in and kiss butt with the Starbucks TM and HR and explain that you made a mistake and then explain how you will avoid doing this again (printing the schedule, checking online every night, etc)

How do people just “forget” to go to work? That’s baffling to me.

If this was a typical 9-5 I’d say you have a point.

But instead, we get schedules that are different week after week. Different start times, different days off. Not consistent at all.

I’ve messed up 2 times in 10 years where I was an accidental NCNS. Would I ever accidentally NCNS if I worked M-F, 9-5? Like wake up and forget it’s only Tuesday? Not a chance! But when every week is different from the last, stuff like this happens... even to the best of us.

How do people just “forget” to go to work? That’s baffling to me.
Had a guy not show up because even though he wrote the date and time correctly, he wrote the wrong day. Ie 12/31/17 9-5 Monday.

But definitely ASANTS. I’ve seen my store be lenient with most folks since accidents do happen, but I’m aware that doesn’t apply for all folks.

It has happened to me too. Paper schedule says, I am off. The grid says I am schedule to work. I stay with the paper schedule...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back