Accidentally sold something before street date (possibly?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I just started working at Target last month so I'm still rather new and have a lot of questions. Needless to say, my leaders aren't too big of a help at all. I was barely trained. Anyway, so today a guest came in and asked me if we were carrying a certain album (don't want to disclose which in case my AP can track this and see this thread). I was aware we just received a shipment of this item and it was locked in the cage. I went to go get it and when I scanned it on the zebra it said that street date was 5/29........ The guest was persistent and kinda rude so I gave it to her and she put it in her cart. Later, I was feeling weird about the entire exchange, so I asked one of my coworkers and they told me that it's no big deal because the registers up front won't let the transaction go through if someone tries purchasing something before it's street date. I was told to tell AP about it just to be safe and when my AP checked the cameras, I was asked to identify the girl and I guess she bought another album along with the one I gave her and the cashier (also new lol) just scanned the first CD (a random one that was already set and out on the shelf) twice because I guess she though they were the same item.. SO long story short... can I get in trouble for this?
Sorry if this sounds confusing but this is really messing with my anxiety. I've been hearing stuff about fines and lawsuits against my store. I feel shitty.

The cashier will be in more trouble than you since she likely scanned the other CD twice to circumvent the street date lock.
You will likely face coaching (at the very least) for pulling a street-dated item that was NOT set out.

Wow. Now what if this certain album is put on the internet and "leaks"? Can that be traced to our store? Its a huge artist release

Wow, that's tough. The cashier would be the fall back and if they just scanned the same CD twice, that is not good for them. Almost would be viewed as kind of suspicious. There is no reason to do so. Obviously you are new, and if you show from now on you do a good job, shouldn't be too much a problem. But they will probably officially coach you on this and I assume it could be in your record.

Wow, that's tough. The cashier would be the fall back and if they just scanned the same CD twice, that is not good for them. Almost would be viewed as kind of suspicious. There is no reason to do so. Obviously you are new, and if you show from now on you do a good job, shouldn't be too much a problem. But they will probably officially coach you on this and I assume it could be in your record.

Yeah.. I mean I feel bad for the cashier too I feel like it's my fault. Hate to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet, but is stuff never supposed to leave the cage and go directly onto the floor?

YOU removed a street dated CD from a locked cage and gave it to the Guest who then scammed the cashier. Yes, the cashier will get in trouble for ringing up the sale. However, if YOU did not ignore protocol and give a street dated CD from a locked cage to a Guest the cashier would not have been able to ring it up. YOUR department. YOUR fault.

YOU removed a street dated CD from a locked cage and gave it to the Guest who then scammed the cashier. Yes, the cashier will get in trouble for ringing up the sale. However, if YOU did not ignore protocol and give a street dated CD from a locked cage to a Guest the cashier would not have been able to ring it up. YOUR department. YOUR fault.
? Okay calm down I'm new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back