Archived Achieving Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAP

Go To Six
Greetings all,

I'm a newb. Well ... sort of. I've been at Target since midMarch. I'm a Sales TM in Electronics. While I'm getting decent hours (better than I expected), I wouldn't be displeased with more. My availability is currently 24/7. As a matter of personal detail, I am a college graduate with a Masters degree as well. Not that I suspect that really matters much.

Can anyone offer any tips/suggestions on how best to approach the issue of promotion? I feel that my detail oriented, performance driven personality would work well in TL-circles but am the lowest man on the totem pole (seniority wise) right now and don't know how to politely inquire about promotion/dual positions for more hours/pay etc.

Can someone offer their perspective on how to climb the red ladder?

*just got done zoning Electronics/Entertainment/Toys/Mini/Seasonal/Infant Hardlines and 4 carts of reshop.
**looks on ebay for new, throb-free feet.

You would have done much better applying directly for an etl position than trying to move up.

Its not always particularly easy to promote when the person interviewing you may see you as direct competition with your credentials. You might be able to make TL within a years time or so with good performance. Keep your eyes open for positions at nearby stores too.

You have a masters degree and you settled for a minimum wage entry-level position??
Might as well not have even gone to school.
Want to move up? Go to the Target Careers site and apply for an ETL position.
A starting TL begins @ $11.25/hr sooo unless you want to work paycheck to paycheck for the remainder of your life, I strong suggest you apply for an ETL spot or get out of retail.

agreed on both fronts. i'd been jobless for over a year so, i took what could keep me from well .... let's not think about that.

i will check the Careers page for any ETL spots, but there's only one store in this town and the wife and I aren't inclined to move.

careerbuilder.com, monster.com, craighslist??, ect.
Keep looking online, there is no reason to settle for a min wage job.
Don't be a fool.

Welcome to the site.

I know how tough it is to find work but moving up at Target aint easy.
You really would have better luck getting in without experience sad to say.
Apply for the TL or ETL jobs directly.

Greetings all,

I'm a newb. Well ... sort of. I've been at Target since midMarch. I'm a Sales TM in Electronics. While I'm getting decent hours (better than I expected), I wouldn't be displeased with more. My availability is currently 24/7. As a matter of personal detail, I am a college graduate with a Masters degree as well. Not that I suspect that really matters much.

Can anyone offer any tips/suggestions on how best to approach the issue of promotion? I feel that my detail oriented, performance driven personality would work well in TL-circles but am the lowest man on the totem pole (seniority wise) right now and don't know how to politely inquire about promotion/dual positions for more hours/pay etc.

Can someone offer their perspective on how to climb the red ladder?

-Tom
*just got done zoning Electronics/Entertainment/Toys/Mini/Seasonal/Infant Hardlines and 4 carts of reshop.
**looks on ebay for new, throb-free feet.
Unless you have a Masters in Business or something that can relate to retail, you are pretty much going to have a hard fight moving up at the store level. Target views a lot of people with science or technical degrees as just here for a paycheck and not going to stay for the long term.

I have a BS in Mass Communications and my last ETLs told me to my face that they were not going to advance me because they were too afraid I was going to just up and leave Target. But I kept applying even though they fought me.

Depending on your Masters, you should be able to apply for a Corporate or Exec position.

ps
Might not want to post your name on here.

Last edited:
To promote to TL in my store (and yours) you really need the support of your TL ETL and STL. However there are currently no openings and you really need to tell your TL you are looking to promote because I know for a fact that he doesn't know.

On tl openings at your store, try ehr. For the etl job, use target.com under careers. Also, you need to show a willingness to learn & be a super tm to get notice by your tl or etl. Always ask questions, drive sales, & great numbers in electronics, etc.
Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back