Active Shooter Training

Do the people in this thread realize you’re about equally likely to die to a lightning strike in comparison to a mass shooting?

No? You don’t realize that? Well, lol... it’s pretty close to the truth.

Media can drastically alter people’s perceptions of reality. It’s fascinating.

If the national media covered literally every single time someone got struck by lightning (forgetting about the fatal strikes for now)... a significant portion of you would literally be afraid to go outside with even a single dark cloud in the sky.
i'm really old and way back in grade school in the late 60s when had "duck in cover" !!!
we practiced hiding under our little single desks for about 10 minute every day we had a drill, just in case war broke out and bombs would drop. Yes they scared they shit out of me as a child only 8 years old

Do the people in this thread realize you’re about equally likely to die to a lightning strike in comparison to a mass shooting?

If the national media covered literally every single time someone got struck by lightning (forgetting about the fatal strikes for now)... a significant portion of you would literally be afraid to go outside with even a single dark cloud in the sky.

Do you play golf during a thunderstorm? They do strongly encourage safety with lighting. "when it roars, go indoors". We've all been taught not to be the tallest thing out there, never been in water is there is any thunder or lighting within miles of you.

Just because something isn't likely to happen to you, doesn't mean it won't. I know a guy who was struck by lightning twice. It's going to happen to someone. I'd rather be the person who runs or hides than the one who freezes because of not knowing how to react.

i'm really old and way back in grade school in the late 60s when had "duck in cover" !!!
we practiced hiding under our little single desks for about 10 minute every day we had a drill, just in case war broke out and bombs would drop. Yes they scared they shit out of me as a child only 8 years old

We were still doing this in the late 70s/early 80s. I had no idea why we did it and I was never scared.

Two weeks ago a kid got arrested at a store in my district.

When searching his backpack, they found a gun.

I think you’re safe from lightning inside Target bud

Statics are fascinating until you are one.

Those drills were scary, not to mention the dog tags we wore so they could identify our bodies in case the bomb dropped...
8855 8856

In huddles I don't even lie. I have a family and will not be a hero. I have them the tools they needed, I'm bolting out the nearest fire door

The odds of an active shooter are rather low but workplace violence in general is considerably higher.
The National Safety Council reports that in 2016, 17% of workplace deaths were the result of violence.
According to OSHA, two million people each year report some type of workplace violence.
They estimate that 25 percent of workplace violence goes unreported.
OSHA reports state that assaults resulted in 18,400 long term injuries and 458 fatalities.
For the women out there 83% of those deaths and injuries were women.

Fun stuff.

Side note: The training was provided by our union, by an union expert on job safety who goes around the country making companies fix dangerous conditions for union workers. Just one of the benefits of being a member.

A few things you might find useful.
If you are forced to park a long distance from the place you work, the company is responsible for your safety from the minute you clock out to the minute you get in your car or vice versa from your car into the building.
They need to keep the walk to your car well lit or provide you with someone to walk with you if you work in a high crime area.
Saying that the people who own the building are responsible are responsible for making the walk to your safe is not true.
They are responsible if it dangerous.

If there are conditions that are dangerous you can go to the OSHA web site osha.gov and file a complaint.
They are a law enforcement agency and if you check the box that asks to not share your name with the company (always check that box) then they won't.
Even if the company figures out you are the whistle blower, they cannot go after you.
This means in any way, cut your hours, deny vacation, say one nasty word to you, harassment of any kind.

The company is supposed to post a list of all OSHA reported workplace incidents on a company billboard.
This should give you a clear idea if things have a regular pattern or if they are being properly reported.

You can invest in some simple things yourself if the company won't.
Things like cheap rubber doorstops and screamer alarms cost very little but can come in handy in an emergency situation.
There was a lot more but this post is getting long already.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
What is the likelihood of needing to know how to properly apply a tourniquet, or how to splint a limb/stabilize a neck with whatever is on hand rather than proper medical equipment? But it's taught in health class, just in case things go wrong during your hiking trip.

Why should we have to know to not stand under a tree in a storm, and to not get out of a car in a thunderstorm even though it's metal? But it's in that same health class, just in case lightning starts touching down really, really close.

Why do planes have that oxygen mask training? Air travel, especially domestic, is super safe. But just in case. Also, how much chance is there in a water landing, especially domestic flights? But they talk about the inflatable vest, just in case.

Hell, the Pentagon has a zombie apocalypse response plan.
Pentagon document lays out battle plan against zombies - CNNPolitics - https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/politics/pentagon-zombie-apocalypse/index.html

Right now a mass shooting event is happening about once a day in the US, though I'm sure that includes the sad cases where Dad goes nuts and kills himself and the kids to hurt the ex in the worst way possible. Needing to know how to respond to that is training that would also cover a mass knife/machete attack (which have happened), a hostage situation, and being in the same apartment building at nutty Dad.

The outrage over whether or not mass shooting training is needed should instead be focused on common events that no one bothers to prepare you for. Guys, have your doctors been checking for redness or lumps on your chests? Do you have any idea of what to do if you feel what seems like a hard bump in your armpit? 2000 new cases of breast cancer in the US every year are in men. Parents, have your children's doctor ever explained to you what symptoms to look for in case your child is mentally ill? Count off 10 kids around you, one of them statistically will have either depression or anxiety. Why isn't deep water training part of drivers ed class in school? After all, people die nearly every storm by driving through flash flooding because they didn't understand the hidden danger of just a few inches of water flowing over the road?

I went through homeland security training when I was hired to do "security" at the Super Bowl.in Minneapolis. We had to go through a 10-hour online course and pass a bunch of quizzes. I am sure this is going to be a lot less intense.

Still haven’t had this active shooter training nor have I even heard anything about it :/

I saw the training DVD at TSC a few weeks ago but haven’t heard a peep about actual training.

We were still doing this in the late 70s/early 80s. I had no idea why we did it and I was never scared.
I changed school systems in Middle school and my new school had a "moment of silence" after we said the Pledge of Allegiance and had to remain standing. It was years later that I found out that was time we could pray if we so chose. The word prayer was never mentioned and I thought we were supposed to remain standing contemplating patriotic thoughts.

Back