Active Shooter Training

Those drills were scary, not to mention the dog tags we wore so they could identify our bodies in case the bomb dropped...
View attachment 8855View attachment 8856

They still do the dog tags in my kids’ public high school.

I mean... they call it “student ID” and you better wear it around your neck at all times. For “security”.

And to ID the body.

My 15yr old got a 3 hour detention for trying to pass off a chick fil a gift card as her (missing) ID. They’ve started take that shit pretty seriously in the most recent couple of years.

Yup I had that in high school, if you weren’t wearing it you got written up, plus if you forgot it/lost it you were marched straight down to the office and had to buy a new one for $4. You were not allowed to walk around on campus at all without one

Our training was pretty informative and thorough about what to do and some of the best places in the store to hide, etc. Our APTL is very good.

Scary moment earlier at my store. Apparently a disgruntled customer came in and threatened to shoot the place up. I don’t think he had a gun on him, I wasn’t in the store at the time. But he’s not in custody, so that’s concerning...

We actually had to evacuate my store when a guest went in the bathroom with what looked like a rifle sticking out of his bag. From that experience, Target does not give enough training for situations like this. I didn't hear anything called out on the walkie until another TM came into the back and told me they were instructed to go to the back of the store. Then the cops told us to evacuate everyone. Guests were complaining about leaving their stuff behind, TMs who had no walkies in the offices or break room had no idea what was going on. One TM evacuated, hopped a fence, and ran away. It was a mess. When we could go back in we shut the doors for about 30 minutes to talk to our TMs, and management wanted us to reopen. (It was almost 9pm) I told AP after that there needs to be a lot more training and protocol, not just every man for themselves. I can't imagine how chaotic it would be if somebody just opened fire. Heck, other leads told me they were amazed I stayed to evacuate guests and that they would have just left.

We actually had to evacuate my store when a guest went in the bathroom with what looked like a rifle sticking out of his bag. From that experience, Target does not give enough training for situations like this. I didn't hear anything called out on the walkie until another TM came into the back and told me they were instructed to go to the back of the store. Then the cops told us to evacuate everyone. Guests were complaining about leaving their stuff behind, TMs who had no walkies in the offices or break room had no idea what was going on. One TM evacuated, hopped a fence, and ran away. It was a mess. When we could go back in we shut the doors for about 30 minutes to talk to our TMs, and management wanted us to reopen. (It was almost 9pm) I told AP after that there needs to be a lot more training and protocol, not just every man for themselves. I can't imagine how chaotic it would be if somebody just opened fire. Heck, other leads told me they were amazed I stayed to evacuate guests and that they would have just left.

If I had to guess, I would say they don't give extensive training on it for it for two reasons... it's statistically irrelevant and because they don't want someone doing something that might present lawsuit opportunities. What are you really going to do anyways? You have two choices... fight or flight. Obviously they can't have target team members gunning people down, even if the person deserves it, because what an incredible can of worms it would open for them to start allowing team member firearms on the premises. But anyways...

Please do not interpret my words as saying that these psychos deserve any sympathy or that they should be met with anything other than the death penalty.

But just because the news media jumps on these stories without fail every single time they happen does not mean that's an everyday representation of reality. You are more likely to get struck by a bolt of lightning than you are to die in a crazed mass shooting where some rando just shows up for no reason whatsoever and starts shooting in the US. Every year. It's not an opinion, it's just a fact. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but that's just a fact.

And by the way, before you look it up, don't get caught in the weeds of including gang related shootings where 4+ people die as being part of "mass shootings" because we know that's not fair.

If the news media covered every single instance of someone being struck by lightning in the United States, people would be terrified to leave their homes.

That doesn't mean it can't happen. Of course, it does happen. Bad things happen all the time to good people. Living your life in fear over something like this is irrational to say the least.

Now that you know you're more likely to get struck by lightning, now ask yourself how many people you know personally that have been struck by lightning. Now understand why that's not a good way to live your life.

Last edited:
They don't give training for it because it's statistically irrelevant.

Please do not interpret my words as saying that these psychos deserve any sympathy or that they should be met with anything other than the death penalty.

But just because the news media jumps on these stories without fail every single time they happen does not mean that's an everyday representation of reality. You are more likely to get struck by a bolt of lightning than you are to die in a crazed mass shooting where some rando just shows up for no reason whatsoever and starts shooting in the US. Every year. It's not an opinion, it's just a fact. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but that's just a fact.

If the news media covered every single instance of someone being struck by lightning in the United States, people would be terrified to leave their homes.

That doesn't mean it can't happen. Of course, it does happen. Bad things happen all the time to good people. Living your life in fear over something like this is irrational to say the least.

Now that you know you're more likely to get struck by lightning, now ask yourself how many people you know personally that have been struck by lightning. Now understand why that's not a good way to live your life.
That's true. But some of us work in rough stores. I had a guest rip the top off our atm machine one night because his card got stuck, we've had fights, knives, a few weeks ago we had a guest assault another guest and then start throwing and breaking glass jars and bottles. During the last incident we had 2 pushouts within 20 minutes and AP didn't even notify us (the only leads in the building) that there was a violent guest. I saw the cops arresting somebody after I was dealing with a pushout. So yeah, shootings aren't commonplace, but there is violence in some stores. And speaking honestly, with the rise in mental illness, homelessness, and economic instability coupled with lack of government support for people, this stuff will continue to happen. Most TMs don't even properly know how to do a code yellow, much less how to deal with a bigger crisis like a fire, shooting, etc...

Our training was pretty informative and thorough about what to do and some of the best places in the store to hide, etc. Our APTL is very good.
Lol we just got told, pick a door , run at it, and told which doors are best for no alarms. If you must fight but make sure you take them by surprise.

My efforts of evacuation would be. "Everyone, there's a active shooter situation, EVACUATE NOW OR PERISH" and I'd run my ass out a door.

I trained myself for active shooter/robbery scenarios when I first started Target 16 years ago by walking all through the store during my first week there and knowing where every single exit door and portal was/devising which scenarios would constitute which door I'd use to get the heck out of there! That was my training.

Our training was done by an off duty cop. Among other things he said to look around while you're in the store and imagine what you could use for a weapon in a situation like this.
Anything can be a weapon. The problem is, what can be an effective weapon in the hands of the untrained? What won't get taken away and used against the person who tried to defend themselves?

That's true. But some of us work in rough stores. I had a guest rip the top off our atm machine one night because his card got stuck, we've had fights, knives, a few weeks ago we had a guest assault another guest and then start throwing and breaking glass jars and bottles. During the last incident we had 2 pushouts within 20 minutes and AP didn't even notify us (the only leads in the building) that there was a violent guest. I saw the cops arresting somebody after I was dealing with a pushout. So yeah, shootings aren't commonplace, but there is violence in some stores. And speaking honestly, with the rise in mental illness, homelessness, and economic instability coupled with lack of government support for people, this stuff will continue to happen. Most TMs don't even properly know how to do a code yellow, much less how to deal with a bigger crisis like a fire, shooting, etc...
I worked in a rough target for a year. It’s awful. Bless you!!

Is this for TLs only or does our store just suck ass? All I've got is 15 min online class pushed to me on Workday for Active Shooter. Nothing else...

Baseball bat and hammer can be taken away, both if you miss and if you would have landed a hit before an expert fighter twisted it away.

Degreaser could be good, since it's ranged, unless you miss the face and just piss the aggressor off. One badly aimed shot may be all the time needed to close the gap and kick your ass.

I've thought of what I could do in such a situation, and then I think of the counter and know that I'd be fucked all kinds of ways. I once had the honor of seeing an aikido black belt test, and the guy had three other people go at him at once with wooden knives, all of them black belt as well. It's crazy how quickly you can have your weapon taken away, even if you have training.

My plan at Target was all the little hiding spots not obvious to an outsider and leap frog to a door.

Back