Archived Advice for a possible upcoming TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

That BackroomGuy

Resigned Fulfillment TL
Hello all!

I've currently expressed interest in becoming a backroom TL at my current store, but, the STL and current ETL-LOG fear that I may not have the capability to properly coach TMs and hold accountability. I'm currently in a trial period that came with a pay bump to be considered a "captain". After my trial is over at the end of the month, I will most likely sit down with the proper ETLs and STLs to discuss my performance and see where we move from there.

Is there any advice you can give me to become a better lead? I recently learned that there's a huge difference between a TL and a TM who does everything, so they think they deserve to be a TL. I was under the mentality that since I do everything, I might as well step up, but it's a whole different world when it comes to actually leading the team to success.

To avoid rambling, I ask you all to give me your advice in achieving results, possible ways you run the backroom team, or, what your experiences have been as a TL.

Since TIME is our biggest enemy in E2E.....

Here's some suggestions for efficiency:

Plan ahead (and you won't have much time for THAT) ! But..... plan your week; and "detail-plan" your days. Have a backup plan for life's little incidentals. If you're "reacting in the moment", you've lost valuable time.
Keep the Team moving at all times. Lots of observations and follow-up. Be very conscientious of your TMs time-management.
Showing is always better than Telling. Work side-by-side until you see the results you're expecting.
Constant communication..... with your Team and your Superiors.
Get down and dirty at the job..... your Team will respect you for it.
Try new thing, different ideas, be open to change. You never know when a good idea will be a time-saver.

Good luck !
Thanks
@sprinklesontop

Hello all!

I've currently expressed interest in becoming a backroom TL at my current store, but, the STL and current ETL-LOG fear that I may not have the capability to properly coach TMs and hold accountability. I'm currently in a trial period that came with a pay bump to be considered a "captain". After my trial is over at the end of the month, I will most likely sit down with the proper ETLs and STLs to discuss my performance and see where we move from there.

Is there any advice you can give me to become a better lead? I recently learned that there's a huge difference between a TL and a TM who does everything, so they think they deserve to be a TL. I was under the mentality that since I do everything, I might as well step up, but it's a whole different world when it comes to actually leading the team to success.

To avoid rambling, I ask you all to give me your advice in achieving results, possible ways you run the backroom team, or, what your experiences have been as a TL.
This might come late . But it’s true being a team member that does everything is not equally as being a team lead . My experience was I was doing to much because I wanted it all done right until I got the drill that I need to delegate more with clear communication . Trust me delegate more , be precise , timelines is key in every task. I tell my team if I can backstock a pallet of domestics in 20 minutes so can they. Most of my backroom are A players if no tl in the back the opener always takes the lead and tell everyone the priorities. They don’t even ask the etl what needs to be done in the absence of a lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back