Archived Advice for fitting room/operator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'm excited to begin my training in a couple days, and wondered if you all have any advice for the fitting room / operator position?

Welcome to The Break Room! Being a cashier, I don't know much about the workcenter, but I will say this. If you are doing the closing announcements, make sure you speak clearly and guests can hear you on the PA. Also, don't forget to turn off the mic when you're done.

I will keep those things in mind. Thanks!

As a friend of mine once said: "Always try to learn from other people's mistakes before you have to learn from your own."

At nine, start keeping an eye on the time. It is easy to forget bout the closing announcements. Try to remember at 9:40, so you can get ready and you know you won't miss the fifteen minute announcement.

from another fitting room operator..learn how your softlines team members like do their reshop and sort it that way for them. I try and make sure that the girls/boys/ infant softlines cart is actually that and not a mish mash of some of everything in a pile.

Easiest way to do the TAG (touch all garments)system is to actually talk to the guests. I often tease the guests that I have to count the items because I get pop quizzes on how high I can count.

If you can familiarize yourself with the salesfloor, do it, it will make it easier to answer some general questions...like if your store carries seventh generation cleaning supplies.

Even to the most irritating guest be pleasant...you never know who is going to be a regular.

Check the fitting rooms yourself at the start of a shift.

Be willing to move out of the fitting room to help zone neighboring areas.

Get a routine set up for rewraps and stick by it. I have just now gotten the team members trained to bring me back what needs to be rewrapped but also a duplicate if it is missing a DPCI.

No matter the stuff going on around you answer the phone with a smile in your voice it can, and will, defuse some situations before they start.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Today was my first day of training (operator / fitting room), and I train for cashier on Saturday. So far, so good. I really think I'm going to like it here.

You will. Cashiering can be hectic at times. I should know, that's almost all I did at Spot. LOL.

So I gotta ask... Is it normal to give a person 3 hours of (observation only) training for fitting room / operator, and then give them a shift ALONE? It was pretty hectic, and I was poorly prepared for it.

So I gotta ask... Is it normal to give a person 3 hours of (observation only) training for fitting room / operator, and then give them a shift ALONE? It was pretty hectic, and I was poorly prepared for it.

I think that during your alone shift, as long as there is another tm who is trained for fitting room / operator, you should be ok. I know it's hectic right now, but you should be able to get breaks from the other team members who know how to answer the phones. The way I learned was to take each call one at a time, do your very best, and don't worry. I would suggest keeping a notebook to jot down questions, and then ask those questions when you get a chance. This is the busiest time of year, well, back to school is hectic for the fitting rooms - but you can do it!

I had 15 minutes before I had my first full shift. I am thrilled when I have 3 hours for the new softlines tm's for backup fitting room and general sales floor "stuff" before I have to give them over to the floor. It doesn't even happen often

Sounds like you went through a trial by fire there.

Sounds about right. Partner up with your Tl ask them any questions you have and stay calm it's just target I know operator is hard but the more you work at the job the easier it gets :) target is very sink or swim so yep this is normal but head up be friendly and you'll be just fine

Ps Softlines is the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back