Archived Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if you all could give me some advice .I type horribly so sorry for the typos & mistakes in advance .So Im new to Target just under my 90 days will be in January and don't really want to rock the boat with any of my coworkers ,however there is one I feel I should say something to the bosses about in confidence maybe .They have been been coming up to me changing what task im doing and telling me to do something else when clearly my boss has told me to do another And when I say that .They say I know what needs to be done and I just spoke to So and so and fuck what that one said ( speaking of another boss ) I usually double check with the boss again on what my task really are at the moment and minor changes might be made or added and I follow ,but this person lately has been getting on my nerves trying to be an LOD & is another team member just like me .They have only been there 4 months .Seems they are way ahead of themselves and likes to down what bosses say to me to do ,but than kisses their asses in front of them . I'm sick of having them try to control everyone around especially the ones that are 90 days and below .
Should I speak to my boss about this situation or leave it alone ?

Is this other TM in your department? Is he/she giving you harder tasks? Do you not like the tasks he/she is telling you to do? Or you dont like the fact that he/she is telling you to do the task? Do you get the tasks done? Is the team productive in general?
Aside from team leaders (boss) and ETLs there are “team captains” they dont have any real powers, they do however can analyze a situation and can determine the best order in which tasks should be done and what resources to allocate from the team to accomplish those tasks.
The end goal of working in a team is to succeed together. Team members should be flexible and adaptable to achieve the end goal.
I hope I have given you some food for thought. Not knowing the full dynamics of your situation. I am not able to advise you on escalating the situation to upper leadership/hr.

Don't go to anyone complaining about how this TM treats other people. It's not your business and you will just create drama.

Do what the TM asks you to do. When tasks your TL assigned you don't get done and you are questioned, they will either say "ok," or will tell you to ignore the TM. And you will have your answer.

Thanks ,it is some food for thought .Its not so much the task given to me .Im there to work so work is work no matter what the task ,I'm ok doing what needs to be done .What bothers me is the disrespect they show to me of our leads and how they talk of them ,like I should ignore them and what they had told me to do .Im thinking this person is just really getting off on telling people what to do and bad mouthing our leads to us in the mean time .I get the feeling it's not so much in best interest of the team or what needs to be done .
I think you are right fluttervale for me not to create drama , but I don't think I should go above my team leads head .
I just hope then stop bad mouthing to me I really don't want to hear it .

Don't go to anyone complaining about how this TM treats other people. It's not your business and you will just create drama.

Do what the TM asks you to do. When tasks your TL assigned you don't get done and you are questioned, they will either say "ok," or will tell you to ignore the TM. And you will have your answer.

Wait wut? Doing what a tm tells you to do when the LOD has given you other direction is stupid.

It's pretty simple when the other tm gives you a task you tell them the LOD has given me this task and leave it at that. If they have a problem with it they can take it up with the LOD.

Alternative to @HRZone 's advice, which is excellent, you may also consider contacting the person who gave you the first assignment and asking for clarification on the priorities when the second assignment comes up.

"Hey, John, you asked me to do X, and I'm working on it (almost complete, whatever). But Mike just came up and asked me to do Y. Which one is the higher priority?"

I have to do this a lot at my day job. The owner and the site manager frequently do not communicate with each other on small details, and don't realize they're stepping over each others' toes in delegating work to us techs.

Wait wut? Doing what a tm tells you to do when the LOD has given you other direction is stupid.

It's pretty simple when the other tm gives you a task you tell them the LOD has given me this task and leave it at that. If they have a problem with it they can take it up with the LOD.

Alternative to @HRZone 's advice, which is excellent, you may also consider contacting the person who gave you the first assignment and asking for clarification on the priorities when the second assignment comes up.

"Hey, John, you asked me to do X, and I'm working on it (almost complete, whatever). But Mike just came up and asked me to do Y. Which one is the higher priority?"

Yes, good advice!

Also, @Catwomen , you might want to consider learning about the store chain of command structure as well. It is one of the factors that you weigh in prioritizing tasks (in addition to deadline, who came to you first, etc) and figuring out conflicting instructions from different leaders.

From the Most Authority to the Least Authority in terms of Delegating Tasks:
- LOD / STL (ASANTS who is higher)
- ETLs
- TLs
- Certain TMs - VM, HR, GSA, and maybe AP
- TMs that a leader actually tell you to take directions from about a specific task, not the self-appointed ones like the TM from your post

There is no way that a four month old TM can tell you to disregard what a leader tells you to do. If they do, do what HRZone advised.

Last edited:
Yes, good advice!

Also, @Catwomen , you might want to consider learning about the store chain of command structure as well. It is one of the factors that you weigh in prioritizing tasks (in addition to deadline, who came to you first, etc) and figuring out conflicting instructions from different leaders.

From the Most Authority to the Least Authority in terms of Delegating Tasks:
- LOD / STL (ASANTS who is higher)
- ETLs
- TLs
- Certain TMs - VM, HR, GSA, and maybe AP
- TMs that a leader actually tell you to take directions from about a specific task, not the self-appointed ones like the TM from your post

There is no way that a four month old TM can tell you to disregard what a leader tells you to do. If they do, do what HRZone advised.
Yea ,lol that's exactly what it was
A " self appointed one " !
I noticed it had gotten better with them doing this ,so thankfully someone else must of said something to them cause I really didn't want to have to be the one to and still in my own 90 days so I'm
Not trying to make a bad impression on anyone right now ,if ever really .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back