Archived AEDs and Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as I had an experience today where literally me, my tl, and etl, thought we were going to witness a Target employee have a heart attack. (Their facial expressions, complete silence, and them grabbing their to side. As a kid, I grew up playing hockey, and after a few unfortunate events, they were to be mandated into every Rink. After 6 years with Target however, and never being told of a place they are located (like eye wash stations)does anyone know if they exist on site, or if there is a policy againts them?

I think we have one in the clerical office.

Don't know that I've seen any on the sales floor.

I don't think my store has one. Never saw one and never heard it talked about.

I've been here forever, never heard it mentioned. If there is one it should be noted in the emergency flip chart

We have several, one in the TSC, one on the sales floor, and one in recieving. The early morning key carrier TL, SrTLs, ETLs, and the STL are all required to be trained and certified to use them.

Do certain States require larger businesses to have them on site? I can't think of any other reason why some stores would have them and others don't.

Usually the only stores that have one are required to by law. Just like how some stores are required to have a label printer in each spill station.

We do not, and the one time a tm helped a guest who literally had a heart attack as they walked in the door they gave them shit about possibly being termed since it's against policy. Trained emt and they fought back with the backing of the fire chief. Seriously a let down since they saved the guests life and almost got fired.

It’s is not in the flip chart. Should be trained to use it.
. The trickey part is that they are made, as though you you aren't trained.
You should have SOME CPR and AED training to use it, coming from Google and some one who was once certified to use one View attachment 6088
Ant Doctor would say "if you have hands, use it". As soon as it flips open a video/voice recording takes you step by step through the process

Used to work as a EMT in the past and this is make take on this.

Target is one of the few companies that doesn’t have their AP trained in any first aid. Not sure why, probably to do with liability. As far as AEDs go, I can think of two reasons Spot probably doesn’t have them.

1) Price. An AED is at least a few thousand dollars. Those things are not cheap and on top of that you need to maintain them. The ones we have on my campus are about $1,500 a piece.
2) Training. While it is true you do not need training to use them and it will walk you through the process, it’s entirely different when you have to learn to use it in the moments when someone is dying in front of you. AEDs are easy to operate and easy to screw up. You should also be able to properly perform chest compressions.Companies might face liability if you improperly use an AED and injurie yourself, others, or even the patient. Even though most states have Good Samaritan Laws, that’s a legal defense. It doesn’t mean someone can’t try to sue anyways.

Finally, most Targets are in heavily urban locations where EMS would arrive within minutes. My store, EMS arrived for an OD in our bathroom in approx. 5 minutes. By the time you realize someone is having a heart attack, locate the AED, strip their clothing, place the pads, let the system analyze and decide if a shock is needed, the guys with the hosipital on wheels, mini pharmacy and $25,000 heartstart with 12 leads will probably already be in the parking lot. AND that’s assuming your local PD doesn’t show up first and begin proper CPR.

TLDR - Your better off calling 911 and following their instructions.

Last edited:
I would not want one on the floor. Inattentive parents, kids, electricity. Not a good mix at all.

I would like one or more in non-guest areas. Even if EMS arrives in 5 minutes, that's 5 minutes without the brain and other organs getting oxygen.

I would not want one on the floor. Inattentive parents, kids, electricity. Not a good mix at all.

I would like one or more in non-guest areas. Even if EMS arrives in 5 minutes, that's 5 minutes without the brain and other organs getting oxygen.
Unless your doing proper CPR. I’d be more in favor of AEDs if Target had LODs or AP do CPR training. Once the AED starts to do its thing, your gonna need to do proper compressions. It’s not going to do everything on its own. Plus once someone goes down and you notify EMS, someone’s still gonna have to run to get the AED (and possibly move all the online orders out of the way to get to it) , run back, open it up, pull out the instructions and read them. Your then going to have to remove the persons upper clothing, attach the pads (assuming they are not hairy, if they are, your gonna need to shave that spot first or your not gonna get a full pad contact). While your doing all of this the 5 minutes is going. I swear in a real life scenario where nobody is trained, your better off trying your best with CPR and waiting.

I’m not completely against them, I just don’t really think they’d make much of a difference at a place like Target. Maybe a mall, college, or some other large campus where EMS might take a while to find your location and they have trained staff who know how to use them.

Last edited:
Unless your doing proper CPR.
Honestly though, how many people know proper CPR? My only formal first aid training was 25 years ago, and god only knows how much of that I would remember in an emergency. I had some informal training before that, as a teen when my father was a volunteer EMT and we had to go to the little station so he could do stuff, and my formal training said how to do CPR was completely different than how a licensed EMT taught me. I've heard the rules for CPR have changed since my formal training to something completely different. I'm sure wound care has changed as well. If someone had a heart attack in front of me and I'm that person's only chance for survival, I'm sure I'd do a half-ass job using the methods taught 30+ years ago and kill the person in the process. I'm also sure that most of the people around me have never been taught first aid or CPR, since you have to pay for a class that lasts for a few sessions and most people won't do that unless they need that certification for a job or a volunteer position.

Used to work as a EMT in the past and this is make take on this.

Target is one of the few companies that doesn’t have their AP trained in any first aid. Not sure why, probably to do with liability. As far as AEDs go, I can think of two reasons Spot probably doesn’t have them.

1) Price. An AED is at least a few thousand dollars. Those things are not cheap and on top of that you need to maintain them. The ones we have on my campus are about $1,500 a piece.
2) Training. While it is true you do not need training to use them and it will walk you through the process, it’s entirely different when you have to learn to use it in the moments when someone is dying in front of you. AEDs are easy to operate and easy to screw up. You should also be able to properly perform chest compressions.Companies might face liability if you improperly use an AED and injurie yourself, others, or even the patient. Even though most states have Good Samaritan Laws, that’s a legal defense. It doesn’t mean someone can’t try to sue anyways.

Finally, most Targets are in heavily urban locations where EMS would arrive within minutes. My store, EMS arrived for an OD in our bathroom in approx. 5 minutes. By the time you realize someone is having a heart attack, locate the AED, strip their clothing, place the pads, let the system analyze and decide if a shock is needed, the guys with the hosipital on wheels, mini pharmacy and $25,000 heartstart with 12 leads will probably already be in the parking lot. AND that’s assuming your local PD doesn’t show up first and begin proper CPR.

TLDR - Your better off calling 911 and following their instructions.

They use to not, but as of last month, when I was training a new TPS, Target put an AED training requirement in the learning plan for locations that require AEDs be on site.

Common misconception. No training is needed to use an AED. It will talk you through what to do.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t have training, I’m just saying you don’t need it. Many people think they can’t use one bc they don’t know how, but it does walk you through it.
Some States, i.e. California, require training on how to use an AED if you're in a job that you might have to use one, otherwise you and the company forfeit Good Samaritan protection.

Last edited:
Some States, i.e. California, require training on how to use an AED if you're in a job that you might have to use one, otherwise you and the company forfeit Good Samaritan protection.
That’s a good idea actually. My state is uhhh, quite the opposite with business regulation unfortunately lol.

I have no clue how to use an AED and probably wouldn't because I'm too scared of killing somebody. Especially after that one scene in Breaking Bad where the German guy uses one to off himself. In any case my Target store is literally spitting distance from a hospital so I'll let the people who make $200,000+ a year handle it.

At my last job we had one randomly show up one day (it looked top of the line and VERY expensive) after a couple of employees at a neighboring store collapsed and died while working. They never told us whether or not we were expected to use it or what the policy was, or even if there was a policy, and they sure as hell didn't train us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back