Archived Afraid that I made a grave mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I'm a new spot team member hired on just a couple weeks ago for electronics. I've been "training" part time for the last couple weeks (and by training, I pretty just mean thrown into electronics by myself after one four hour shift working with another trainer). Learning on my own hasn't been all too hard since LODs are only a walkie page away if I have any questions, but today was extremely busy, and I'm afraid I might have made a grave mistake...

I had two back to back customers that rang up expensive purchases (one customer bought a 64gb iPad and some beatz headphones, and the second bought a $500+ camera). What was odd to me was that both customers paid for their orders solely in $50-$100 debit gift cards. Is this normal?
The first customer's purchase was over $1000, and it took forever for him to swipe and enter the pin for all those gift cards. Just when I thought he'd whip out a credit card or something to pay for the large remaining balance, he kept pulling new gift card after new gift card out his pocket. Every now and then he'd enter a pin wrong and have to re-swipe it, and the whole situation just seemed kinda sketchy to me once he left with his items, and I had a second customer doing the same exact thing with his own gift cards.

If it wasn't so busy, I probably would have called the LOD during the first transaction and tried to slyly tell him that I wasn't comfortable ringing the transaction, but everyone was super busy, I didn't want to bug the LOD, and I didn't want to hold up my customers who were waiting for assistance.

Now that I've painted a picture of the situation, I'll return to my original question.. Are transactions like this normal in electronics? I've been worrying about this ever since I rang up the transactions, and I'm afraid that I may have possibly been had. If the transaction was indeed fraud of some sort, would the LODs have caught it during closing procedures? Maybe I'm being paranoid here, but I just can't help but get the feeling that I'm going to go back to work on Monday with an LOD standing by the time clock with a pink slip waiting for me.

It's probably also important to note that several of the gift cards here and there were ran as credit for whatever reason.

If you're a little iffy, feel free to call LOD, GSTL, TPS, or any other TLs or ETLs. One of my electronics TMs had an iffy transaction tonight too, he walkied me (TPS) after the transaction was over (which I definitely recommend you doing) just to give me a heads up. If this was a case of fraud, Target is insured. Just like they're insured against counterfeit money and checks.

On one hand, I've found it normal for people to pull out a stack of gift cards. On the other hand, it's also common for people who do credit card fraud to buy a ton of $50-$100 gift cards (especially the visa ones) and then use them at a later date. Like I said, if you feel iffy about a situation/person/transaction, tell your AP team (and your LOD/GSTL if nearby/available). It's as simple as saying, "I'm new, I need to ask about our gift card policy". This is also especially useful when a couponer comes in and you know they're going to be a pain in the butt for your transaction.

This^
Also, you can for backup using help or additional cashier buttons too. I had something like that happen to me too. My Lod was etlap & came over helped me out. The funny part was, I played dumb & asked for drivers license after the third Visa card. The guest gave it to my Lod. He explain why, for your protection, etc. he was making mental notes on the info on the Id.

I have had transactions similar to that. I usually call a TPS or LOD after or during the transaction. If you ever feel unsure about something call your GSA/GSTL, TPS, or LOD. If you do it during the transaction, try to be discreet.
I usually say something like "darn my register froze, I have to get my supervisor." There were time where the transaction would be
considered normal and other times when it was fraud or fake currency.

You cannot ask for identification for credit card purchases unless the POS prompts you to do so.

You will never be termed if it does turn out to be fraud. If POS lets you accept say a stolen CC that you have a feeling was stolen but POS accepts it you are in the clear. When working the register you should be looking out for possible fraud but if you get beat it becomes the cost of doing business for target nothing negative towards you.

Thanks for all the great feedback / advice, guys! This forum community officially rocks.

I'll make sure to call for assistance next time I feel sketched out. Looking back after a good nights sleep, I'm face palming on why I didn't call an LOD in the first place.

I do feel a lot more at ease as well knowing that if things do turn out to be fraud, I won't be termed for it. If this situation were to turn out as fraud, how long does it generally take for the company to realize it? If the gift cards were fraudulent, is that something the LODs would have been alerted to during closing?

Think of it this way;

if they're fraudulent. the ap guys will worry about it with law enforcement and it's not your fault. you are there for guest service and to help out the team up front. we worry about the security stuff so you dont have to. if the pos let everything happen, you'll be just fine

if they're not fraudulent, you're already just fine.

pour a big glass of wine and relax. you're all good in the hood.

I got a bunch of those things as grad gifts, so it's not uncommon to have multiples, but I feel like it's uncommon to have enough of them to pay for such an expensive bill. All the ones I've ever seen used are processed as CCs, a pin comes up, I tell them to cancel and select credit, then they have to sign (idk why they have to sign for those, but it asks)

You should be in the clear. Items bought with Credit Card giftcards will have to back on the exact same giftcard or be refunded as a Target Gift Card.

If the POS accepts the card, then all liability is on the bank and their authorization process.

There are some scams where people will steal CCs or make fake CCs, then immediately buy credit card gift cards before the numbers are invalidated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back