Archived Am I going to get fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been late twice and continued working off the clock once. Will I be fired? I haven't even been there for 40 days

Chances are probably pretty bleak for you imo. You would probably be shown the door at my store, but ultimately it's up to your store's leaders and HR.

I mean, if you get caught, you'd probably get CCA'd (written up) at a minimum.

Don't abuse the 5-minute rule (5+ minutes late clocking in for your shift) and once you clock out, go home and don't stick around (people will bug you if you have a red shirt).

Depends on your store with us if you work your butt off or get a million redcards you could murder people and keep your job. Most jobs would can you I think so its really dependant on the type of leadership u have

Not even 40 days in and you've been late twice already? Working off the clock - why would you do that? Clock out and you're done working. (I confess that I'll find myself zoning while shopping sometimes, but it's only a couple items before I realize what I'm doing.:eek:)
Seriously, you're not on the right path. If you've otherwise been a fantastic worker and your store is short-staffed, then you might be ok IF you straighten it out NOW. Be there on time, every shift, and otherwise follow the rules.

I've been late twice and continued working off the clock once. Will I be fired? I haven't even been there for 40 days

Yeah you’re probably gone bro.

I’ve been at target three years and can count the amount of times I’ve been late on one hand, and I’ve NEVER worked off the clock. Huge no-no.

My store has enough trouble getting people to show up that we don’t care about lates. So you would be fine here. We do care about working for free, but you would just get told to not do it the first time we caught you.

"Working off the clock" could be as simple as you're on break/meal, in market grabbing something to eat, and a guest asks where to find something. In my personal experience, it often takes less time to just answer them with an approximate location than it does to tell them that you're off the clock and can't help, plus it removes the potential negative guest experience that we're being hounded to avoid. They don't care whether we're on the clock or not. They see red and khaki and assume we're there to help them.

In fact, in the days before I started working at Spot, I got bitched at by another guest when I happened to be shopping wearing a red shirt. I've had it happen at Meijer and at Hobby Lobby as well. And the time at Hobby Lobby (note, they wear regular clothes, no color guidelines, and a vest!), I then later saw the same guest bitching at a manager about the clerk who refused to help her and claimed to not be an employee.

The schedules can throw new people sometimes. You have to look and remind yourself daily when you're expected in next. In my store, twice late would draw attention and if there were plenty to staff, probably you wouldn't get many hours. A 3rd time, bye!

Just correct course. Attendance is the major performance key.

Are we talking 5 minutes late? 20? an hour?
Did you call ahead to let them know you were coming late?

Did someone come talk to you about working off the clock? Or are you just confessing to us (i.e. you're not sure if leadership noticed)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back