I got fired

Hello I got fired from target for “performance reasons” when I asked my inbound team leader she said I was improving but it could also have to do with me being spoken to by a team leader
Once I was spoken to I was late although not my fault I just took it, the second time I spoke to my team leader and said I promise to be more mindful, and there was a earlier time when a team leader explained to me what loafing is. With all this in mind is there a possibility I can get my job back if I speak to HR?

It sounds like you may have been within your 90 days. Is that the case?

Otherwise you would have known you were getting fired and known you were placed on final warning.

Hello I got fired from target for “performance reasons” when I asked my inbound team leader she said I was improving but it could also have to do with me being spoken to by a team leader
Once I was spoken to I was late although not my fault I just took it, the second time I spoke to my team leader and said I promise to be more mindful, and there was a earlier time when a team leader explained to me what loafing is. With all this in mind is there a possibility I can get my job back if I speak to HR?
Did all that happen in your first 90 days?
If so, no.

Loafing is a pretty specific indicator. It generally means you're willfully choosing to not work and instead do...nothing.

Did they explain why they felt you were loafing? If you're under your 90 and they felt the need to both explain and indicate you were loafing, there's a good chance they do not have the highest opinion of you and they separated prior to the 90 day mark.

If you are not under 90 days, I'm sure others here can give you some additional advice.

Loafing is a pretty specific indicator. It generally means you're willfully choosing to not work and instead do...nothing.

Did they explain why they felt you were loafing? If you're under your 90 and they felt the need to both explain and indicate you were loafing, there's a good chance they do not have the highest opinion of you and they separated prior to the 90 day mark.

If you are not under 90 days, I'm sure others here can give you some additional advice.
What happened was when I came back from my 15 and asked my team leader what’s next after checking a endcap he then started explaining what loafing is and then said just be mindful of them and then went back to telling me what can fit on the endcap

It sounds like you may have been within your 90 days. Is that the case?

Otherwise you would have known you were getting fired and known you were placed on final warning.
I was on my 90 days yes but there was never an indicator that I was being written up, I payed very close attention to how the team leaders put their words together so I could correct my errors, first thing was having a explanation of what loafing is, but I’ve never been told I’m loafing, second was being late, third was being from my 15 and I spoke to that team leader he then said “I get it you’re a good kid just be mindful of that in the future”

Mmm this sounds like they had made up their mind already about not keeping you. The thing with how spot does thinfs now is they dont have to tell you they are making a paper trail to let you go. Eapecially in your 90 days. Unless you were like 20 mins late coming back oe something that loafinf comment was a red flag.

Regardless of the detsils I feel like its not your fsult. You might be rehirable depending on the reason they fired you (their actual reason not the gsrbage they tell you) but I woykd wait for some time and apply at a different store. The thinf with spot is turn around for management is so high at some point new managemwnt tskes over completely and may hire back previous people even if they were fired. Wr have had that more than once (much to our irritation as one person deserved to get canned.)

Keep your chin up and move onto other pastures. Spot is weird and retsil in general right now is an absolute circus. You may fins somethinf you like better out there.

Mmm this sounds like they had made up their mind already about not keeping you. The thing with how spot does thinfs now is they dont have to tell you they are making a paper trail to let you go. Eapecially in your 90 days. Unless you were like 20 mins late coming back oe something that loafinf comment was a red flag.

Regardless of the detsils I feel like its not your fsult. You might be rehirable depending on the reason they fired you (their actual reason not the gsrbage they tell you) but I woykd wait for some time and apply at a different store. The thinf with spot is turn around for management is so high at some point new managemwnt tskes over completely and may hire back previous people even if they were fired. Wr have had that more than once (much to our irritation as one person deserved to get canned.)

Keep your chin up and move onto other pastures. Spot is weird and retsil in general right now is an absolute circus. You may fins somethinf you like better out there.
Thanks man I’ll take this into account

I had spoken to my HR she said I can reapply in mid June
You will not be rehired if they fired you within your 90 days, especially if the same leadership is in the store. Think about it, if they wanted to hire you back in June, why would they have even fired you in the first place just to hire you back in 2 months? Move on and find another job and learn from your experiences.

They don't technically need any type of documentation since you are on a probationary period. So you may not have officially known you were getting "coached".

You will not be rehired if they fired you within your 90 days, especially if the same leadership is in the store. Think about it, if they wanted to hire you back in June, why would they have even fired you in the first place just to hire you back in 2 months? Move on and find another job and learn from your experiences.

They don't technically need any type of documentation since you are on a probationary period. So you may not have officially known you were getting "coached".
Ok then thanks

It's very easy to be let go within your 90 days. If you make it past that it's practically tenure, lol. Very difficult to be fired past that unless it's like criminal behavior. And also if you have excessive attendance issue and are underperforming at an incompetent level, they'll fire you. But just because you didn't make it to 90 days doesn't mean it's for any of those reasons. They need to pick and choose seasonal hires to keep, and they have to make tough decisions sometimes. Nothing personal.

Last edited:

But I don't see it as a firing, I see it as letting go of a seasonal hire. Maybe they just picked someone else to keep and OP barely made the chopping block. I say go for it, maybe they'll give you another chance.

From what I can tell, Sounds like you weren’t doing what you’re supposed to so it makes sense why they fired you unless there’s more to the story you are giving.

What happened was when I came back from my 15 and asked my team leader what’s next after checking a endcap he then started explaining what loafing is and then said just be mindful of them and then went back to telling me what can fit on the endcap
So either you aren't giving us the full story or they just wanted to get rid of you and this was the easiest path. There would be no reason for them to explain loafing to you if you weren't being accused of it. Either way it's probably not a very high probability you would be rehired.

You strike me as a young person and perhaps this is your first job, so here is some advice for your future jobs.

People hate conflict, and they will do everything they can to avoid it. There is a good chance this leader had this conversation with you explaining loafing and then went and documented it as a coaching. You left the convo thinking nothing is wrong, but on paper you were coached for "loafing." It is a byproduct of shitty leadership and it exists everywhere.

In the future whenever any superior has any conversation with you regarding performance, attendance, etc - directly ask them "Is this considered a documented performance conversation?" And then write it down. Write down the date, the time, who talked to you, about what, the question you asked, and their response. I keep (and encourage my team to as well) a small notebook to do so. This really helps you advocate for yourself because it puts you in a position of knowledge. And when you come to a situation like this again (and you will, we all do) then instead of having no recourse you can pull out your notebook and say "here is my documented evidence of all of our conversations can you please show me yours".

In the future whenever any superior has any conversation with you regarding performance, attendance, etc - directly ask them "Is this considered a documented performance conversation?" ...

This is helpful, 60SecondsRemaining. But a couple questions:

Does a conversation need to be of any substantial length to be considered document-able coaching?

Why wouldn't the onus be on the leader to say, "This will be documented as a performance conversation"?

This is helpful, 60SecondsRemaining. But a couple questions:

Does a conversation need to be of any substantial length to be considered document-able coaching?

Why wouldn't the onus be on the leader to say, "This will be documented as a performance conversation"?
To the first point - I haven't worked in retail in some time but in my experience no, it doesn't need to be. That's kind of the point though, to have the documentation to advocate for yourself. I work in IT and I encourage everyone in my team to paper trail everything all the time.

As for the second yes one would think, but as I was saying people hate confrontation so it's just easier for them to not say or signal that - so they don't.

From what I can tell, Sounds like you weren’t doing what you’re supposed to so it makes sense why they fired you unless there’s more to the story you are giving.
From what I gathered from my coworkers being fired for calling out 2 times or even once they were firing people for very small things the story is simply this
I was spoken twice 2 times for being late from returning from my 15, I apologized once because the time I apologized for was my full and complete fault, the third time which I don’t consider but looks like target does is when a team leader explained to me what loafing is and was telling me don’t do it and never gave any context as to him telling me this because I was. I hope this cleared anything up

From what I gathered from my coworkers being fired for calling out 2 times or even once they were firing people for very small things the story is simply this
I was spoken twice 2 times for being late from returning from my 15, I apologized once because the time I apologized for was my full and complete fault, the third time which I don’t consider but looks like target does is when a team leader explained to me what loafing is and was telling me don’t do it and never gave any context as to him telling me this because I was. I hope this cleared anything up
Yeah if you take way too long for a 15 especially if you have someone covering for you, Then yeah I’d be upset too as a manager or the one covering, But shouldn’t be fireable. As for the other stuff, Aounds like you’re seasonal because that’s a small list of offenses to be fired.

At Target your first 90 days is a probationary period during which Target will decide if you can stay. Not a lot is needed to let you go during this time.

‘From your story I hear that you had multiple issues: being tardy, taking extended time on breaks, period of time not working when you should have been…..there may even be others. The bottom line is : your leaders ‘tried’ to get you to improve - by telling you not to be late, to only take 15 minutes for break, by explaining that your time not working was called loafing and you shouldn’t do it.

If you have a job you should be mature enough to take this advice given and improve.
‘Looks like you did not - so you were fired. You certainly CAN re-apply. If you do, try to explain to someone that you have matured and understand what went wrong the first time they hired you.

It’s probably 50/50 that you will be re-hired. Two things can improve your chances:
1. Executive team has changed.
2. You apply at a different store

I would advise you to move on, leave Target behind and find a job that you like enough that what you are doing doesn’t “feel like work” because you like doing it so much. You will be productive and do a better job than you did for Target.

good luck.

Back