I'm Lost! Any leave of absence horror stories?

Might be studying abroad and was wondering if anyone has been in a situation where they came back and their job wasn't there for them anymore....?

My store treats our LOAs really well. We just ask you communicate and answer our calls.

When you come back your hours will probably be cut but you wont get termed.

At our store we cannot term an LOA unless they give us permission too. We have people on LOA who have been on it for over a year and we cant term them until they respond.

Just make sure that you call at least two weeks in advance so you can ensure that you're on the new schedule when you come back. And then keep calling and keep calling and bothering them until you're 100% sure you have hours. You won't get termed. If you're performing fine, your hours won't be cut. Just keep in mind that if you go for an extend time, your next review/raise will be prorated by how many months you were actually there and will be significantly lower than you hoped for and deserve.

I know a girl my age (17) took an LOA for high school (lame) and tried to come back and she never heard back from Target and got another job (lame)

(even lamer was she was kinda cute.)

(f***n lame)

Anyone ever heard of a LOA for educational purposes being declined?
I was told today that there's a very good chance my LOA request will get turned down if I attend the upcoming January Police academy.
I don't see why I can't go on LOA; I'm not sponsored so I don't have a guaranteed job waiting for me on the other end, and it's through the local Junior college, so it should count as an educational LOA.

I imagine that they are looking at it as you taking another job. If it is turned down, I would mention that most of the other people who take educational leaves have goals that don't include working at Target. At my store, we have given leaves for internships that clearly won't lead to a Target job. Still and all, Target is not required to approve it. Good Luck.

I was told today that there's a very good chance my LOA request will get turned down if I attend the upcoming January Police academy.
I don't see why I can't go on LOA; I'm not sponsored so I don't have a guaranteed job waiting for me on the other end, and it's through the local Junior college, so it should count as an educational LOA.

Sorry to hear that. We have a problem at my store of people taking LOAs for other jobs then never coming back. They dont contact us or call us back so we cannot term them.

I know its too late now but I recommend everyone just say they are taking an ed LOA and leave it at that. You dont have to explain what kind of leave it is. You are pursuing education in one way or another.

I was hired last holiday season. My ETL and TL both knew that I was in the middle of getting my masters degree in Math, and they gave me a few options on after the holiday season (transfer to a store closer to where I go to school, Ed LOA, or quit but marked rehireable). I chose the LOA option and worked this Paz summer and will continue to work this upcoming holiday season.

So go study abroad!

Since your a TPS they might deny it or you might have to work at another store / another position. I'm sure you already know how screwed your store would be without a TPS :p

What about taking personal LOA/vacation BECAUSE hours are low? Will they be even lower when I come back? I already talked to Store Manager, team leads etc. who I discussed that for our store hours are gonna be pretty low for everybody until the end of March-ish. Who knows. Thanks for sharing what you know. There are so many little things to know. So I decided to take a vacation. I was going to do some weekends off in March for an exchange student but accidentally processed the request for February and am basically only scheduled for weekends for February so decided to just turn that into a vacation leave. Probably will now not be taking the weekends off for the student because of my boo-boo. But my shifts are short at the moment so I will still have plenty of time to show the kid around after work. >.<

There was a tm that wanted a 10 day vacation and clearly stated they wanted to be put on the schedule in 11 days - they were told to take a LOA - was never put on the schedule again - they ended up quitting and really would have liked to stay but the run around they got to get hours wasn’t worth it.

Back