Archived Any positive ETL stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixing to start training as a ETL-LOG and have read nothing but negatives about ETLs from previous and present ETLs, TLs and TMs. I have 10 years experience in Multi Unit Operations Management for a 24hr food chain franchise and couldn't be worse than that.

In my experience, the ETLs can make or break morale for an entire store. I have had a few ETLs that I was sad to see go because they were motivated, didn't feed you bullshit and seemed to care about the TMs as much as the bottom line. Motivation is the key. I've seen ETLs just coast by doing the bare minimum and leave all the work for the next day. Here's an example, on one of the days I open at the Service Desk I completely dread going in in because I know all my bins will be packed full, there will be 15 sorted reshop carts and no one scheduled to work said carts.

OTOH, I work with some very good ETLs and SrTLs that are involved, they'll help, listen to issues or suggestions and make the day just that much more pleasant.

I'm going through the interview process now for an ETL position. I'm sure I'll be put into Log as well if offered and I accept. I'm an ops manager currently for Wallyworld.

The ETL LOG at my old store was older than all the STLs and what I consider to be one of the good ones.
He ate with his team, he worked side by side them, he would move like crazy to set the example and knew everybody's name.
He also fought for his team to make sure they got the hours they needed and even a separate huddle so his team wouldn't get sucked into the regular store huddle.
He didn't speak Spanish but was sensitive to the people where it was a second language and if he had complicated instruction would get someone to translate.
Since people would whine about the flow team eating all the food, he got them separate breakfast food.
He knew some of his people worked three jobs to survive and didn't go after one who curled up in the back of the Break Room during lunch, fell asleep and just never made it back.
No yelling, though he did raise his voice when he needed to be heard.
Sadly none of the rest of the ETLs showed him much respect, he wasn't part of The Plastics.

Maybe my store is just one of the few good ones, But I've pretty much had nothing but good interactions with all of my ETL's, sans the ones that I don't interact with. My ETL-GE is super chill. My ETL-HR is whacky, fun, and great at keeping morale up. ETL-HL is a good guy, if a bit cold at times.

My store's sales floor ETL (I'm a cashier, so keep in mind she's not even my direct ETL) is one of my favorite people to work with. She's realistic, friendly, down to earth, and knows how to appreciate all of our help. Whenever she's LOD I always ask if she wants me to stay late to help her with stuff at all, she'll usually come up with something (reshop, extra zoning, etc.). One day she even saved my shift, I called in to see if anyone took a swap shift at the last second. She said no and then (on her own thinking) walkied the GSTL and looked at who would be on that day who was up front at the time, asked around, and got my shift swapped for me, all over the phone.
Other than her, my ETL-HR has been with the company for more years than I've been alive, and has a pretty good sense of humor. My EGL-GE is a nice guy, but he's pretty useless with real time issues a lot...also red cards red cards red cards red cards red cards. Our ETL LOG just left recently and I didn't know him much.

I just keep reading so much negativity about the ETL-LOG position that I'm fixing to take over and just a few good stories. Hopefully I will be placed in a store like the good stories I'm hearing but it's too late now. I start in a week. We will just have to see how it goes. Hopefully not a resume addition for my next job.

Well it's just something I'll have to endore and hope for the best. Can't be worse than working 7 days a week getting calls at 3am like I am now.

I work in a store where I really like most of the ETLs, or at least the ones I'm in constant contact with. I like what Cartman said about not being an asshole. That's really all there is to it! Good luck!

Hopefully you're going to be better than my store's LOG-ETL who is immature and regularly makes inappropriate comments.

But he's a good worker so who cares.:rolleyes:

Whatever you do...never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, walk in and just start changing things because you don't like the way they're done. Before you start doing things, you need to talk to your team, figure out why things are done the way they are, and then figure out what their opinions are on the way things are done and if there is a way for them to improve. My ETL-GE was a new ETL, and he's garnered nothing but resentment from everyone up front from changing up almost everything and being a micromanaging prick. He's already had at least two hotline calls, and I know more are gonna be incoming.

I just keep reading so much negativity about the ETL-LOG position that I'm fixing to take over and just a few good stories. Hopefully I will be placed in a store like the good stories I'm hearing but it's too late now. I start in a week. We will just have to see how it goes. Hopefully not a resume addition for my next job.

It will be what you make it. If you can drive results quickly, your STL will probably leave you alone since most don't have a clue about LOG. There are many valid points here about the challenges you will face as LOG (I know from experience), but also many people that will have negative opinions about any job they ever had or will have. Be positive, gain the respect of your team, and drive results!

When I first started, the Etl Log was awful. The backroom was a mess. And he left shortly after.

We got an Etl Log from another store. Wow, he was awesome at logistics. And a really nice guy. He fixed some sloppy processes. I really think he is the best Etl I've ever had.

But, I moved to signing and he got moved to the sales floor as the Etl HL. There, even though good, you could see hd was out of his element. He didn't stay with the company but one year after being moved.

I still see him or his wife and kids around occasionally.

One thing I'll add, currently, the atmosphere, at least at my store, with the flow team is very stressful. If my tl or etl yelled at me the way they yell at the flow team, there would be problems.

Sending a new ETL from outside Target in LOG is never a good idea. You are going to under trained and unless your walking into a green process already you could be in some real trouble. Not, positive I know but, just being realistic. Hopefully you will be walking into a well run process being lead by great Team Leaders. If not, things can get real ugly fast. 12 hour days, working the truck on your what are suppose to be your days off and getting beat up every visit would not be out of the question. The way Target works now most STLs with broken processes just beat on ETLs until they quit or get fired to show they are doing something. Hopefully this is not the case for you and you walking into a store with a good process and strong team. Good luck.

You never have anyone do something you wouldn't do yourself. A lot of the issues I have with ETL's stems from hearing "WE NEED CARTS," "SPILL CLEAN UP IN A25 PLEASE," "AIM FOR 5 MINUTES PER PULL," and "TRY TO ZONE ****** IN ** MINUTES" barked over the radio from a store exec (or assistant manager, as the rest of the world would call them) who would never even consider rolling up his/her sleeves and throwing truck, pushing carts, or working pulls with their team.

If you can't roll up your sleeves and throw truck, push carts, zone market, or work pulls with your team... It'll show through and you probably won't get the respect (nor the results) you want. Be positive, engaging, and hands-on! Make it clear that you're the boss, but relate to your team and see them eye-to-eye, so when it comes time to pull teeth they'll relate back to you and get the results you want.

As a PA I remember giving my ETL-Log these words of wisdom which he has passed onto his team and has made my job go from untolerable leve 10 to untolerable eh... 8.5....

"You think if C+S was FIFO'd these trucks would get smaller?" - Said the PA with a smerking grin of knowledge.

I think a lot of the negative stories come from TLs and TMs. Many people naturally like to complain about their superiors no matter what industry you are in. I've recently applied for several ETL positions and I think it's a great way for a recent college graduate to get some management and business experience, especially considering Target trains you in a variety of in-demand fields such as logistics and HR--two valuable skill sets needed all over the world that too a good paying salary. Not to mention I'm also learning IT Networking and Security on the side, so if I want to go into the IT field Target can help me with that (IT center in Minnesota). Not a lot of companies are paying recent graduates $58-$65k straight out of college. Sure it may be hard work, but if you're young then toughen up.

By the way, congrats on the new job.

Biggest Advice I could give in regards to starting out positive is give some listening to your team that you are going to be leading. I'm not saying to do it their way just hear some of their ideas, acknowledge the ideas given and if its useful use them in your own way. A lot of time ETLs just come in and say you are doing things my way no matter what and give off that vibe that they won't hear you out.

I think a lot of the negative stories come from TLs and TMs. Many people naturally like to complain about their superiors no matter what industry you are in.

Target trains you in a variety of in-demand fields such as logistics and HR--two valuable skill sets needed all over the world that too a good paying salary.

Don't forget that your "good paying salary" comes from the sales that are driven by TLs and TMs on the floor. For someone with no retail experience, you can't go in and think you're better than the people who have been running the store for years without you. A good ETL is someone who doesn't let the superiority get to their head and actually listens to their team when they have suggestions on how to do things better. A good ETL is someone who is hands on and jumps in to help instead of complaining about the lack of work getting done even though we're running on a skeleton crew of TMs. A lot of us instead have ETLs who just sit in their office and bark orders on the walkie or sit around Starbucks gossiping with each other while we're drowning in reshop and CAFs. That is why we complain. And this is coming from someone who actually likes most of my ETLs.

Last edited:
My advise is learn to be a leader, not a manager.
The OP probably understands this, but it seems like @MDude19 needs to learn this.
All the good ETL's and Team Leads at my store, and supervisors at previous jobs, take the time to explain what they want done and how they want it done. The bad ones bark orders, aren't consistent, and are unwilling to do any work themselves.
You need to take the time to learn your team, even if that means you need to be elbow to elbow unloading the truck or wrestling with an uncooperative shoplifting subject. I understand that you have more responsibilities thanks a standard TM or TL, and that you often cannot/don't have time to do the grunt work, just be sure to help out your team personally every so often.
(And this comes from someone outside the normal TM=>TL=>ETL relationship, and I like most of the ETL's at my store, and have an amazing ETL myself.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back