Archived Any rumors yet on Black Friday open time this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...which defeats the purpose of the Vibe.
Newbies couldn't care about a 'vibe' moment if you paid them. Those of us who have been here long enough to remember quality service don't need a stupid 'vibe' program to teach us what we've done for YEARS.

...which defeats the purpose of the Vibe.
Newbies couldn't care about a 'vibe' moment if you paid them. Those of us who have been here long enough to remember quality service don't need a stupid 'vibe' program to teach us what we've done for YEARS.

Agreed! After 20 years, 1 month, and 20 days to be exact, I still have a few guests that come to Target to be waited on by me. That must make me the poster child for the Vibe.

Well, in a way...everyone is replaceable when it comes to jobs...heck, JFK was shot and replaced within an hour. If he can be replaced, then so can the rest of us, really.

i'm not denying the fact that we're all replaceable (although i would say JFK is a mere man, no more, no less, and equally replaceable). however, you don't use it as a "motivational" tool to get your flow team to work harder. you work within you team to grow and develop them so they will be more vested in the results and coach/term the ones that aren't. all the replaceable talk did was cause our hard core seasoned tm to find other jobs. now 70% of our team will be new for Q4, along with the etl, and they will struggle because of it.

Hate being a Logistics BRTM overnight.

Leave Thursday morning because of truck process, come back at 7-8pm to take care of autofills and get ready for BF.

At least last year I was able to get a Kinect thanks to a fellow team member who got lucky and wasn't schedule.

i'm not denying the fact that we're all replaceable (although i would say JFK is a mere man, no more, no less, and equally replaceable). however, you don't use it as a "motivational" tool to get your flow team to work harder. you work within you team to grow and develop them so they will be more vested in the results and coach/term the ones that aren't. all the replaceable talk did was cause our hard core seasoned tm to find other jobs. now 70% of our team will be new for Q4, along with the etl, and they will struggle because of it.

Essentially you're talking about positive vs. negative reinforcement. The funny thing is that if these fresh college grad ETLs had paid attention in their (likely) required sociology class they would know that studies have shown that positive reinforcement is a far more effective encouragement that negative reinforcement..

Essentially you're talking about positive vs. negative reinforcement. The funny thing is that if these fresh college grad ETLs had paid attention in their (likely) required sociology class they would know that studies have shown that positive reinforcement is a far more effective encouragement that negative reinforcement..

...but not as fun.

At my store BF, Sat and Sun are mandatory.

We've got one girl who's mother is getting married on BF. We've been wondering what is going to happen to her. I bet they schedule her and then she goes to her mom's wedding and then gets fired from TGT.

We've got sign-up sheets in our store for people to volunteer to come in on Thursday night. Guess that's how they'll get TMs to work.

Not too long ago someone here posted about a website called indeed.com. I've gone there and gotten some good guidance on writing up a resume. There are a number of sites in cyber space that are really helpful in providing guidance and direction. Check it out.

we wrote a mock schedule today to see how we were sitting with team members and was told to make my schedule like we were opening at 10pm.

i hope to god we get way more cashiers before that day or we are screwed. We were down 6 cashiers before seasonal hiring so we're really behind the game.

At my store BF, Sat and Sun are mandatory.

We've got one girl who's mother is getting married on BF. We've been wondering what is going to happen to her. I bet they schedule her and then she goes to her mom's wedding and then gets fired from TGT.

My store tried to require Saturday but it hardly happens. Four years ago, my brother's high school football team made it to the state championship which ended up being on the Saturday after Black Friday. There was absolutely no way I was going to miss him playing in the tournament, so I called in. It DID help that I had a head cold at the same time and our ETL-GE (not the current one) let it go. No one said boo after that.
The next year, I took that Saturday off in advance for football too and ended up not needing it...and no one said anything after that.
I bet now they would fire people, though...

It's a shame. Weddings are important, seeing family is important, and Spot could care less.

In our last team lead meeting we were told to it could 8, 10, or 12. Also thought I heard something about staggered ads, meaning 1 might run from 8-12 while another might run from 12-4 and so on. Just rumors mind you.
Thats actually pretty wise because the staggered ad will help divert traffic to other areas of the store. Initially Electronics and Toys will always be the hardest hit sections first thing Black Friday. Then a sale for Seasonal Christmas lights or domestic items starting 12pm will hopefully drive traffic to other areas of the store. And will give an excuse to people that come in late for the electronic items and tell them the sale is over and drive the price back up.

I think it is going to be 10. There were some chattering going on today and someone said 10 PM the day after? So maybe this rumor is going to be true after all. Oh boy I hope not!

Well, I'll know for sure next week. It's almost time to start doing the schedule...

They said at huddle yesterday they are announcing it a week from tomorrow....and the STL stopped just short of saying to expect a 10pm opening.

The Black Friday kits should be arriving to stores this week so that will give more info on what time we are opening.

We've pretty much been unofficially been told to plan on midnight.

Rumor at our store is to be prepared for an 8pm opening. We are at the border of being a AA, and we heard a sister store, that is well over being a AA store, is opening at 8pm.

this is our last thanksgiving with all my family and extended family in one house. my brother is getting married a week after black friday and i hope i can spend as much time with family and not have to rush off to work. last year i had what 2 hours of sleep had to come in for the midnight opening worked 12-12 by the time 6 am came our store was dead so they sent people home but not sales floor people they sent cashiers home.

also last year was a test market for denver stores to be open on turkey day i think they were open from like 8-2 and the word was if that went well target would open on turkey day so sad

also last year was a test market for denver stores to be open on turkey day i think they were open from like 8-2 and the word was if that went well target would open on turkey day so sad

I heard that the test was a miserable failure, for what it's worth.

I heard that the test was a miserable failure, for what it's worth.
That's what I heard also. I'm really hoping that they do like they did last year. HR made up a sign up sheet and you could volunteer what hours you wanted to work. It was nice as I family in so I got to spend some time with them.

That's what I heard also. I'm really hoping that they do like they did last year. HR made up a sign up sheet and you could volunteer what hours you wanted to work. It was nice as I family in so I got to spend some time with them.

They're doing something similar to this at our store. You can ask for an opening, mid, or closing shift and they will do their best to try to fit you in.

this is our last thanksgiving with all my family and extended family in one house. my brother is getting married a week after black friday and i hope i can spend as much time with family and not have to rush off to work. last year i had what 2 hours of sleep had to come in for the midnight opening worked 12-12 by the time 6 am came our store was dead so they sent people home but not sales floor people they sent cashiers home.

I can't stress it enough to you that family is more important. If you are too tight on money to miss the day it's understandable but call in if you can even remotely afford it. They could fire you for missing the shift but there's no way they're going to side with Target for firing you for missing 1 shift if you have otherwise good/perfect attendance. Just don't be blatant enough to say you're calling in just because you don't want to work. Say it's car trouble, say you're sick (perhaps the best option), or make up any excuse you see fit.

All I know is if, god forbid, this was my last opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with one of my loved ones and I had chosen to work instead of being able to see them I would be beyond upset. Obviously your situation isn't quite the same because its just the last time you'll all be able to spend together, but still, my philosophy is that you never know. For me, it was only a few years ago that I was able to spend my last Thanksgiving with my aunt who passed away the very next day. If we had been opening at 10ish, or even 8ish, back then and I had missed that I would still be upset about it.

In 20 years you're not going to remember this shift or even care about the money but you will remember your last Thanksgiving with your full family.

If this company doesn't care enough about us to give us a respectable warning/timeframe for us to plan our holidays, why should we be beholden to them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back