Any tips to get Target Circle and/or Red Card signups?

The problem is we cannot take Debit Redcard applications unless the guest brings a voided paper check. They have to apply online. Depending on where the new TM or guest lives, your store might or might not get credit for the Redcard signup.

I don't know who in hades is advising young people not to carry cash.
I don't think anyone is advising them, it's just the way it is now. I'm in my fifties and I never carry cash anymore, stopped a few years ago.

As a Target Circle member who uses the Target app, occasionally I have a dead cellphone at checkout. Any offers I have already saved onto Circle do in fact come up when I type in my cellphone number. So you were given inaccurate information.
The only thing that doesn't apply with phone number is ™ discount and payment. everything else does
The problem is we cannot take Debit Redcard applications unless the guest brings a voided paper check.
they're working on this...

I watched our superhero cashier who gets a shout out several times a day...from the second she touches a guests item /items she is talking up the Red Card. She ll turn off her light ( even with a line) if the guest might be on the fence and need a little extra help/push to sign up. And of course any Lead or Visit walking by hears her everytime every guest pushing the card. Simple. Habit. Success.

The best way to get target circle sign ups is to push aside all your prejudices about older people. Many will sign up. Some won't, but give them a chance. Also, when you pitch it, say "Are you a member of target circle?" or "Would you like to enter your number for target circle?" Don't tell people to hit skip until they decline.
I ask everyone. I+ still get the no or no thanks.

I know I mentioned my spiel before, but I thought about it while I was working and thought I'd be more accurate in my description.

After the hi how are you and other friendly idle chit chat (comments about how cute their stuff is etc). That is part of GUEST. If you are friendly, they are more likely to sign up.

Me - "Are you a member of Target Circle?" or "Do you have the target app on your phone?"
G - No
Me - "Oh it's an app that helps you save money here at target. If you would like, you may enter your phone number" and I point to the pin pad.

40-50% of the time my guest will enter their number. I've kept track. Saturdays are a little lower though.

If they mention the cost of something, I'll ask about the app and tell them how they can find the sales in it.

If they say "no thank you", I ask them to please answer the question on the pin pad or I'll say, "I need you to either enter your phone number or press skip." Sometimes, they say, "oh yeah I enter my number all the time." I imagine my self doing a face palm and tell them, "Oh that's great. That is Target circle where you earn 1% back"

If you say enter your number or press skip, they will just press skip because it is the last thing they hear. How are you asking everyone, targetking?

"Would you like to input your number for Target Circle, your rewards points" or something like that. This is acknowledging that Circle isn't exactly brand-new (23 months), most guests have enrolled at some time or other but may have forgotten about it. I ask if they shop online with us, if they do I suggest to them that they are very likely already enrolled in Circle and should type their number to add to their rewards. We can go into a nice refresher about what Circle offers for them as our guest. I'm estimating that somewhere over 40% of my guests input their number, plus those who are using the Target app (probably somewhere around 10% of all guests use the App, perhaps a bit more).

Younger TMs may not understand that not all guests want to add yet another App onto their smartphone. Many guests prefer to use the Target website and interact with us via their laptop, desktop, tablet or other web-enabled device. Circle offers can be saved on the web site, and then be retrieved under the guest's cellphone number.

Back