Archived Anyone else hate doing phone interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the days of actually meeting potential hires. Now every single first interview is this informal phone interview crap. I find it really difficult to judge a person's personality over the phone. Not being able to see their facial expressions and body language really leads to a "well, they sounded good" mentality. Now we're getting flak for scheduling second interviews for people that they say shouldn't have made it past the first interview. How was I supposed to know this person would show up dressed in black with a spiked collar? How was I supposed to know the person was going to pass out during the second interview because of "anxiety issues"? (this is all true by the way) If they want us to better weed out non hires then please bring back the one on one interviews.

Same here I hate the phone interviews, I like to see who I'm talking to. We talked our HR into doing in person interviews for 4th quarter last year and this year, they have that option. It makes hiring your seasonal help a lot quicker especially if your ETL is around to do the 2nd right away.

The phone interview weeds out those who can't answer the preliminary questions. Many of those can't think of any time they contributed to a group project, have no opportunities for improvement, and admit they only applied cause we were hiring.

I didn't agree with them either at the beginning, but having 3-4 applicants in line waiting to do their assessments and then giving a less than staller interview has changed my mind.

Especially since we were required to do a second interview taking an etl off the floor. And at my store we only have one etl in the building if we're lycky. Usually it's a senior that can't do a second interview.

I HATE phone interviews. Maybe because I just hate talking on the phone anyways, but phone interviews are the WORST.

It's so much easier to have a conversation with someone in-person. And it's easier to gauge personality.

One thing that I really liked at my previous job was group interviewing during the 4th Quarter. We would call 4-5 people, have them do little exercises, "sell something" to the group and interviewers, and then each person was interviewed (alone) by the HR and ASM. It made it so easier to see who would do better in a customer service role, interacts with people, etc. I would LOVE to see that during Q4 hiring here at spot.

I guess your stores must be better staffed.
I pull teeth to get etls and tl to do interviews.
They are all so stretched trying to get their work done.
I understand your points, but think phone interviews save time.

My store has been doing in-person first interviews. But of course, the ETLs take their jolly old time getting up to the TSC to do the seconds.

we do in person interviews that are scheduled to each team lead the day before and every one just takes a turn. I prefer to do my own for the front so usually even if someone else is scheduled for it I will do it and they'll watch the lanes for me.

I would prefer doing in person interviews. We could still decide who moves on to a second interview. If they pass the TL interview, they could take the assessment and do a second right after that. If that wouldn't work, from a clerical perspective, they could come back for a second interview. If they aren't willing to come back, oh well. They probably wouldn't have stuck around anyway.

I had to do a phone interview recently and it was okay. When I did the actual one on one interview it was much better. There's more interaction in person. Its hard to do phone interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back