Archived Anyone else heard of this policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can see.... I don't have a freakin' clue who this guy is. So here's my question..... is he "currently" working? I see comments on his prior roles... but anything recent? 2018? Is his social media "awareness/disgruntle-ness" an attempt to keep his name/face in the spotlight? (no pun intended on "spot"light). Just wondering.

Like I said, he has a recurring role (Malcolm Merlyn) who shows up on Legends of Tomorrow, Flash and Green Arrow.
I didn't know he was in Reign, since I never watched it.
He has one hell of a set of pipes and does Broadway and West End Theater all the time (not that most folks here care about theater).

Oh I know it's bad for us and not him. And I'm probably biased because I work for Target and I had never heard of this guy before, but I really don't like the way he comes off in the video. Also, you can start using the +Quote button any time now.
Uh okay I just want to know what being “lectured by the target staff” was like. If he’s buying a gift card and a jacket literally what cashier ever is going to be like “oh my god is this for a homeless person? What is wrong with you?” And call a GSTL over and have them say the same thing. And discourage him from buying anything. Cashiers scan and press buttons. I don’t even talk to guests and I certainly don’t give a flying fuck what they’re buying and for what reason. I just.. need more details on exactly what happened because I can’t even see anything happening and even if anything did I just feel like he’s exaggerating.

Also whenever anyone says “I’m going to stop shopping here and I’m going to tell other people to shop shopping here”, gross. You’re not that important lol
You are if you have 1m next to your followers list. (thats 1 million people who just got his post.) He basically neutralize a weeks work of ad promotion. So gross or not the reality of social media is IT IS an ad platform and they DO have influence.

So, wait, I'm the ONLY one who ONLY recognizes him from Desperate Housewives???
No but I am waiting for someone other that commiecorvus to recognize his work in UK. He scottish so he gets really pissed.

risk the jobs of Target employees? They risked it when they lectured him on homelessness.

Last edited:
Uh okay I just want to know what being “lectured by the target staff” was like. If he’s buying a gift card and a jacket literally what cashier ever is going to be like “oh my god is this for a homeless person? What is wrong with you?” And call a GSTL over and have them say the same thing. And discourage him from buying anything. Cashiers scan and press buttons. I don’t even talk to guests and I certainly don’t give a flying fuck what they’re buying and for what reason. I just.. need more details on exactly what happened because I can’t even see anything happening and even if anything did I just feel like he’s exaggerating.

Also whenever anyone says “I’m going to stop shopping here and I’m going to tell other people to shop shopping here”, gross. You’re not that important lol

Agreed. I met him once too and he was a total dick lol

I still think it's hilarious that there are bums and panhandlers in West fucking Hollywood of all places. you would think this wouldn't be a thing given how loudly its smug, self-righteous residents love to virtue signal every chance they get

Like I said, he has a recurring role (Malcolm Merlyn) who shows up on Legends of
He has one hell of a set of pipes

And legs. I don't recall what it was he was doing, but he came out on stage in sparkly Daisy Dukes and stilettos.

He scottish so he gets really pissed.

Yes, he's Scottish, but he grew up in Chicago.

Hey everyone...it is a big rock that I am under....so anyone who wants to join.......come on down under!

BTW, if this guy is Scottish.....where's his accent??

Oh I know it's bad for us and not him. And I'm probably biased because I work for Target and I had never heard of this guy before, but I really don't like the way he comes off in the video. Also, you can start using the +Quote button any time now.

"I don't like the way he comes off"
I don't know if I was buying stuff to help someone out and a retailer tried denying me that right I'd be pretty fucking pissed, too. Don't be that person that's trying to be a hero and stick up for Target. That man had EVERY right to be mad and isn't a dick. Target is a dick.

Last edited:
Joking aside, we really need to have been there to know the situation.

Oh I know it's bad for us and not him. And I'm probably biased because I work for Target and I had never heard of this guy before, but I really don't like the way he comes off in the video.

I agree with you. Like others in the thread have mentioned, there could be more to the story. We really would have needed to have been there to get a fuller picture of what the situation was really like. Right now, all we really got was his side of the story. Since we work at Target and know that denying people's right to purchase for the homeless is not a policy (and guests are [not] always right), we can see that either he was making assumptions about policy based on a single incident or the story is not as it seems. It is not necessarily that we are just biased just because we are employees. We just have more context than people who don't work at Target so we are able to see the story differently.

I understand why you don't really like the way he comes off in the video. He kind of reminded me of certain guests from Guest Service. Also, there is a power-tripping sort of vibe with the way he goes on about his followers in his video and tweets related to this incident.

Last edited:
So, wait, I'm the ONLY one who ONLY recognizes him from Desperate Housewives???

Ha! I watched this show faithfully every week and was pissed when it went off. My memory does not serve me well! I'm trying to remember. Was he Adrienes ? husband ?

I hate to say it, but I'm not shocked, due to the whole NIMBY mentality. I've been homeless before, and the entire world makes you feel like utter shit about it, no matter how it happened, and no matter how well you give the illusion of staying put-together. I'd have cried if Barrowman, or anyone else, had tried to do something like this for me during those dark days.

If that's the Target I think it is... no offence to anyone currently working there, but it always rubbed me the wrong way, even before it was finished being built. There's just something odd about it. I briefly had to deal with it (it's a long story) before it was even open, and it was utter chaos and bad attitude.

Good on Barrowman. He's not perfect, but he gets some decent human points for this one.

Like I said, he has a recurring role (Malcolm Merlyn) who shows up on Legends of Tomorrow, Flash and Green Arrow.
I didn't know he was in Reign, since I never watched it.
He has one hell of a set of pipes and does Broadway and West End Theater all the time (not that most folks here care about theater).
And legs. I don't recall what it was he was doing, but he came out on stage in sparkly Daisy Dukes and stilettos.

Yes, he's Scottish, but he grew up in Chicago.
I got to see and meet him at a con this past year. Truly a nice guy with a big heart. On stage, funny as hell. Wonderful entertainer.

Does Houston really enforce that policy though?
I haven’t seen anything done and I see homeless around everyday.

Personally I’m not even trained in cashier but I think I’d be in trouble if I refused a legitimate sale.
Sadly, yes. it does. before Harvey, there was this huge fight over whether a tent city was allowed to remain until one of the highway overpasses. The city kept moving them out siting health and saftey reasons and finally one got representation of a legal group that fought back. It went to 5th circuit and Texas lost. So basically they have to be allowed to remain. Until Harvey decided to make them float away. Now there currently isnt a problem.

As for what happened with Capt Jack, we basically know who are indigent are in my store and as long as they dont panhandle, shower in the restroom or steal. they are fine. Most dont do anything other than leave competitors baskets in our parking lot. Go shower at the donut shop we shove them on.

If Capt jack wants to give one a gift card and a coat because the homeless man didnt smell fresh, we are ok with that.

Ha! I watched this show faithfully every week and was pissed when it went off. My memory does not serve me well! I'm trying to remember. Was he Adrienes ? husband ?

I recognized the face, so had to look up his IMDB page to realize it.

And, yes, he did play her husband

Anyone who doesn't believe that this will have no influence... look at the influence David Hogg has with his Twitter. Albeit this is lower key issue, there will be fallout.

Last summer we had a homeless guy spend several days in our store shaking guests down for meals for most of the day.
He'd hit someone up for breakfast then later hit someone up for some packaged foods that he'd attempt to return for a giftcard to buy beer with.
Many of the savvy guests would buy him something from cafe that was prepped, not packaged, so he couldn't get a return.
I tipped off AP after the first day & they began watching him.
By the third day he was trespassed for panhandling in the store.

Three days??

Anyone who doesn't believe that this will have no influence... look at the influence David Hogg has with his Twitter. Albeit this is lower key issue, there will be fallout.

John Barrowman 'Disgusted' by Target, Says Staff 'Lectured' Him About Helping Homeless Man (Video) - https://www.thewrap.com/john-barrowman-disgusted-by-target-says-store-staff-lectured-him-about-helping-homeless-man-video/
Target employees shame 'Dr. Who's' John Barrowman for trying to help a homeless man | City Pages - http://www.citypages.com/arts/target-employees-shame-dr-whos-john-barrowman-for-trying-to-help-a-homeless-man/479152583

Actor Chastises WeHo Target, Claims Employees Tried To Stop Him From Helping Homeless Man - http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/04/06/john-barrowman-chastises-weho-target-assist-homeless-man/

and read TMZ 'Arrow' Star John Barrowman Claims Target Didn't Allow Him to Help Homeless Man - http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/06/john-barrowman-target-homeless-man/
apparently Ap told him it was illegal to purchase stuff for the homeless man.

Finally, my friend who lives in the area and worked for CBS at Television City until 2016 (he does VR work for a start up and was involved in Ready Player one) said that he noticed that the entire front end changed. I dont know what happened but perhaps someone decided the best solution is to start fresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back