Archived Anyone else heard of this policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whaaa??? I've never heard of that, either.

But we don't generally have homeless people nearby enough to test it.

How would they even know who he was buying it for? I feel like there's more to this story.

The cashier might have thought that the actor was being conned by a "homeless" person. Or doesn't recognized him and thought that the card he was using is not his own card.

He lost all credibility with me when he said "gift certificate."

Joking aside, we really need to have been there to know the situation. This guy sounds like a dick.

He lost all credibility with me when he said "gift certificate."

Joking aside, we really need to have been there to know the situation. This guy sounds like a dick.
He's an actor who tried to buy something for a homeless person and wasn't allowed to. He is on twitter about it and has a worldwide following . This is bad for us not him.

Just saw this on Twitter....

Not heard of this. Also not a person who you want to make upset.

As far as I am aware our District doesn't have this policy. The city of Houston does but we don't nor would we stop anyone especially someone who is a actor and has a prolific following

He's an actor who tried to buy something for a homeless person and wasn't allowed to. He is on twitter about it and has a worldwide following . This is bad for us not him.
Oh I know it's bad for us and not him. And I'm probably biased because I work for Target and I had never heard of this guy before, but I really don't like the way he comes off in the video. Also, you can start using the +Quote button any time now.

As far as I am aware our District doesn't have this policy. The city of Houston does but we don't nor would we stop anyone especially someone who is a actor and has a prolific following

Do you know why? Is the logic supposedly to keep homeless people from hanging out and bothering guests (and by "bothering" I mean "existing in front of them")?

I would imagine that particular Target is in NIMBY central, so it would not surprise me at all if Target (and all the other stores around there) have similar policies in an attempt to keep the unsightly riffraff from their exalted patrons. Or some shit.

Looks like @AskTarget responded.

Translation: RVP and above visit. STL and etls get a reminder to not piss of public figures. Whoever the poor TM that cashiered John is now promoted to guest with prejudice.

Oh I know it's bad for us and not him. And I'm probably biased because I work for Target and I had never heard of this guy before, but I really don't like the way he comes off in the video. Also, you can start using the +Quote button any time now.

Also, I didn't expect this to turn into a multiple post thing. Anyway, John is an excellent actor but a very wound up person who is one of those social life blogger types when he's not acting so yea, that doesnt surpise me you'd think that.

Also, go look up Doctor Who and Torchwood. and

Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow (2012-2017)
(he was Malcolm Merlyn)
Zero Dark Thirty (2013)

All Stars(2013)

The Producers (Dec 2005)

De-Lovely (May 2004)

Dead Even (also known as Method) (February 2004)

Shark Attack 3: Megalodon (2002)

Last edited:
Can't see the tweets; they're not loading on firefox.

Captain Jack ain't going to take none of Spots shit.
Whoever didn't recognize him and decided to pull the NIMBY "You really shouldn't be encouraging these bums." bullshit, is seriously paying for it.
To bad they probably got it from the management of the store and they won't suffer a bit.

I only know of him from Doctor Who and Torchwood. But I also know that not a lot of people from my own store know who he is.

Whatever he is buying is his own business.

Wow. Where was that rule when I was working at a hard core urban location and the homeless addicts came in to buy gallons of mouthwash for the alcohol. Code brown, code p,technicolor (vomit). Those people are often very predatory especially when they need a hit. I can see management having concerns but it sounds like it wasn’t handled well.

Last edited:
Last summer we had a homeless guy spend several days in our store shaking guests down for meals for most of the day.
He'd hit someone up for breakfast then later hit someone up for some packaged foods that he'd attempt to return for a giftcard to buy beer with.
Many of the savvy guests would buy him something from cafe that was prepped, not packaged, so he couldn't get a return.
I tipped off AP after the first day & they began watching him.
By the third day he was trespassed for panhandling in the store.

Not defending that store, but I'm pretty sure they have a big homeless issue that they're trying to work on, but this isnt the way to do that. It's his money and he'll spend how he feels like. Don't piss off Malcolm Merlyn lol

My store has a policy asking panhandlers to stay off the property when they're reported, but beyond that as long as they're not creeping on the team members, bothering guests, or harming the property/merch we just kinda let them be.

But yes, hopefully he'll acknowledge getting a response, corporate will probably shell out to a local homeless shelter and that'll be that. Oh and hours will be reduced by 20% to offset the charitable donation. Or just because they flipped a coin that day. *Shrug*

That pisses me off. I've taken people to stores out of my way so they can get essentials that they need. Sure they might try to return it, but if I have the funds to get someone the items they need to be able to interview or stay warm I'm going to do it.

Personally I won't go into whatever shop the homeless person is infront of, but that's my choice. The same way or was my choice to bring them to the store in the first place. I'd pitch more than a fit if this was my store and shame the cashier for this.

There is a distinction between loitering and purchasing items as a guest or else I'll quickly make the homeless person a customer of Walmart.

Anyone ever hear of this? I've never heard anything like this at my store. We have even had a homeless man in our store once and we all chipped in money to give him.

Reactions: TTB
I guess target responded to him and said its not policy and they are taking action with the employees involved.

Reactions: TTB
I wander how they knew who the guy was buying for... like its no ones business to say who to buy for and plus what if it was a gift or something else like what a horrible staff to even tell a shopper not to do. I find it weird that the staff would even say who you can shop for or not that is just horrible customer service! No way that was a target policy I have never heard of such policy anywhere I shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back