Anyone else kind of hate your inbound team?

I've been working the GM 4am shift for a while now. I don't usually unload the freight because they have me pushing pallets and repacks from the moment I get into work. However, since I start work at the same time as my inbound team I occasionally have interactions with them, and quite frankly, most of them seem like asses. I understand being a little grumpy about having to get into work at 4am, its not easy, but that's no excuse to take it out on the world. A few examples of things they do include:
  • Just completely ignoring me and acting like I'm not there. They won't say hi, good morning, or even make eye contact. This isn't solely an issue with the inbound team, but it seems to occur most often with them.
  • They're cliquey. I only see inbound TM's hang out with other inbound TM's. I very rarely see them interact with anyone else and none of them have made any attempt to introduce themselves to me or even have a conversation. This seems especially weird since I work with them just about every day.
  • God forbid I accidentally get in their way when moving a pallet or a U-boat. They act like the two seconds it takes for me to push the thing out of their way is going to set them back immensely or something. They just start aggressively waving my arms for me to move the pallet/U-boat. This one especially pisses me off, just chill tf out.
  • Sometimes when I am trying to move a pallet to the floor to start pushing, I'll grab a pallet jack I see in the backroom. I can't tell if it's being used or not. But occasionally I'll grab one that the inbound team is using and they get so upset about this. I understand they need a pallet jack, but would it be the end of the world if I borrowed it for five minutes so I can take my pallet to the floor and bring it right back?
All this and the fact they just all seem to passive aggressive and give me the cold shoulder for no reason. All I do is clock in, put my head down and work, and clock out. I don't think I've done anything to them to make them not like me, so I assume they just act like asses for no reason other than they just are asses. Pardon my rant, but I am just frustrated with them and want to see if anyone else has a similar experience.

I can relate to that. Though, not with the inbound team. Almost every one else at my store is an ass.
We have two age demographics; 20 year olds and 50 year olds.

I’m 30. The 20 year olds want nothing to do with me. So I’ve befriended a few of the 50 year olds and that’s that.

It does get depressing when you’re made to feel like an alien when you just want to do your job to the best of your ability and go home.

Hope it gets better for you, but you seem like a nice hard worker, so it won’t.

The op doesn’t like 4am shifts.

I did. Again, not trying to be argumentative, but op comes off quite pleasant in their writing. Just cause they don’t like early morning shifts doesn’t mean they’re the problem.

I appreciate your comments. I always try to be nice to my coworkers and stay on the positive side, despite not particularly liking my job.

To, "Hardlinesmaster," Of course I don't like my job very much. Given the hours, the work, and the strange working conditions, would you? I find your logic of assuming I'm also a grumpy hardass to be perverse given you don't know me.

When I started working at Target , in the beginning I also felt inbound team to be little rude . But then, as time went by , I have always been nice and considerate about them and they also started being nice to me . Yeah even my inbound team also usually hangout among their team. But that should be because they are sent to have break at the same time . Sometimes our etl and their tls say very rude things to them that makes me feel sad . In my store inbound teams are the most hardworking people and all are in their 20s I guess.

Just put your shit where it belongs quickly and accurately. Take your break. Take your lunch if necessary. Punch out. Leave. You're there to make money and add to a resume, nothing more nothing less.

Just completely ignoring me and acting like I'm not there. They won't say hi, good morning, or even make eye contact. This isn't solely an issue with the inbound team, but it seems to occur most often with them.
They come in set line and have 2 hours to do the unload and with the skate moving and the noise from boxes hitting the skate is hard to acknowledge or make eye contact , I barely hear the walkie.
They're cliquey. I only see inbound TM's hang out with other inbound TM's. I very rarely see them interact with anyone else and none of them have made any attempt to introduce themselves to me or even have a conversation. This seems especially weird since I work with them just about every day.
they are that way because most of them were overnight . Not only that they go together to break because it’s when the lead calls break.
God forbid I accidentally get in their way when moving a pallet or a U-boat. They act like the two seconds it takes for me to push the thing out of their way is going to set them back immensely or something. They just start aggressively waving my arms for me to move the pallet/U-boat. This one especially pisses me off, just chill tf out.
time is the essence
Sometimes when I am trying to move a pallet to the floor to start pushing, I'll grab a pallet jack I see in the backroom. I can't tell if it's being used or not. But occasionally I'll grab one that the inbound team is using and they get so upset about this. I understand they need a pallet jack, but would it be the end of the world if I borrowed it for five minutes so I can take my pallet to the floor and bring it right back?
Because by the time you bring that pallet jack back in 5 minutes now his pallet is full and ready to pull out while the line is still going. Now truck will have to stop for him to grab a new jack , and replace is pallet then resume truck again .
So again time is the essence for us to finish and for gm to push.

I appreciate your comments. I always try to be nice to my coworkers and stay on the positive side, despite not particularly liking my job.

To, "Hardlinesmaster," Of course I don't like my job very much. Given the hours, the work, and the strange working conditions, would you? I find your logic of assuming I'm also a grumpy hardass to be perverse given you don't know me.
Until you do unload on truck with the time allowed by spot, you won’t understand. @allnew2 gives the best answer.

Nah. I have my issues with some of them being complete dumbasses when they switch from unloading to helping push and backstock. But, they're some of the best TMs in the store. I try to stay out of their way whenever possible and they help me out. If I need something still on the trailer, I just ask if they've seen it yet. If they haven't, they keep an eye out for it and walkie me when they see it.

Inbounds is a tough job. They are busy and always under pressure. Just be cool and nice to them. They'll treat you the same. Try this if you really want to get along with them: Have nothing pressing to do: go back and help them. Sort some combos. Help push boxes down the line. Take pallets out for them. Whatever. Don't be the guy slowing them down. Be the guy treats them with respect and helps when possible. You'll be treated accordingly.

@allnew2 You make some valid points, but I would like to clarify my points a little more.

1. It's valid that they aren't acknowledging anyone while working, I understand that. It's mostly when we are in the break room, waiting for someone to open the door in the morning, or just in passing. It's a little strange to just look away and pretend you don't see someone when you're walking right past them (such as when walking to or from the break room).
  2. Your store may be different, but it appears most of my inbound team isn't overnight and starts work at 4am, as I do.
  3. This is the point in particular I wanted to clarify. I make sure to stay out of their way while they are unloading by going around the backside of the backroom while they are unloading, so that I don't get in their way and cause a delay. This situation occurs after they are done unloading and they are starting to work on their own pallets/sections. Some parts of the backroom are so narrow that a pallet can just barely fit through and it's not my fault that I just happened to be pulling a pallet when they want to walk through that specific part of the backroom. But yes, even when stocking time is important. I just wanted to make that distinction clear.
  4. This is a valid point. Perhaps I shouldn't have necessarily blamed the inbound team for this one.

@allnew2 You make some valid points, but I would like to clarify my points a little more.

1. It's valid that they aren't acknowledging anyone while working, I understand that. It's mostly when we are in the break room, waiting for someone to open the door in the morning, or just in passing. It's a little strange to just look away and pretend you don't see someone when you're walking right past them (such as when walking to or from the break room).
  2. Your store may be different, but it appears most of my inbound team isn't overnight and starts work at 4am, as I do.
  3. This is the point in particular I wanted to clarify. I make sure to stay out of their way while they are unloading by going around the backside of the backroom while they are unloading, so that I don't get in their way and cause a delay. This situation occurs after they are done unloading and they are starting to work on their own pallets/sections. Some parts of the backroom are so narrow that a pallet can just barely fit through and it's not my fault that I just happened to be pulling a pallet when they want to walk through that specific part of the backroom. But yes, even when stocking time is important. I just wanted to make that distinction clear.
  4. This is a valid point. Perhaps I shouldn't have necessarily blamed the inbound team for this one.
My store is not different . We are a 4 am unload too, 12 trucks a week . Myself as a lead I’ll always acknowledge anyone in passing or break room , but don’t get me wrong here when I say that everyone can do gm job but not everyone can or want to do inbound . My team specifically feels like they are always supporting the store and different departments yet if inbound would have call out no one would offer to help them , so yeah they gonna keep to them self because they get each other .
As for getting in each other’s way after truck is done why don’t you try a different approach instead of going with the pallet in that narrow space while they are working suggest them if it’s okay to leave your pallet on the side until they are done . Or if they have to go push and you go to backstock trade the pallets and say hey I can go push that if you rather backstock this one for me. Like I said inbound is the only team in the store that won’t be supported however it’s expected of them to support the whole store.

They have to be cliquey they rely on each other to get the unload completed, they also take breaks together every day its going to happen. In my store up until recently the newest inbound tm was has been there for 3 years. I think what allnew was also trying to say is that most inbound tm come from the old flow team, im my experience they were not always the most sociable bunch but in my store it isnt really a problem. In fact i think our inbound team is probably the strongest team in the store.

Correct . And besides inbound is the strongest team in every store . They hold the store on their backs because if they don’t do trucks no one will .
Should be the strongest team in the store for sure although i do think at this point everything is so precise every tm needs to be on point, which is basically impossible

The way I see it , a dbo calls out an inbound tm can finish that area after truck . And inbound tm calls out a dbo could do it but would slow the whole process to the point that I rather have 3 inbound tm on the line than an additional 3 dbos on the line that don’t know what to do . After all a dbo on the line is just an other body .
I’ve been told that beggars can’t be choosers by my SD my response was I rather be short a inbound tm rather than him assuming that by giving me a dbo on the line would have the same results .

At first I got that impression because people in my inbound team already knew each other before since they have known each other since they used to work overnight now the earliest you can start is at 4 so they already established their group. they have similar problems and frustrations so they tend to understand each other more. But as I got to know them and we start working at the same time, i just naturally got to know them especially when we all love having a cup of coffee during the first break. And also I got to bond them more maybe because I have been with Target for years so we tend to realize we have more similiraties with the demand of work we are getting as well as all the ongoing changes everyday.
I do agree that it can get clickish. Not just by departments but also by age group. Since I only work part time, I don’t get to be at the store all the time. I come in to work and I will be as positive and civilize to my coworkers whenever I can.

@allnew2 I think you may have misinterpreted by situation a little bit. So I will use an of what might occur:

I am in charge of a certain section of the store that receives a fair number of pallets per day. My main goal is to clear the pallets and get the merchandise on the floor. Pulling a pallet to the floor before the store opens is the most efficient way for me to do so because the pallet is ready to move, meaning I don't have to waste time filling a U-boat or flatbed, and I am clearing space in the backroom. When the inbound team is on break, I am grabbing my second pallet and moving it to the floor. Perhaps a inbound team member is coming back from break now and has to wait for me to pass with the pallet before they can proceed. Is it really necessary for them to gesture to me to hurry up? I don't think so as I am just trying to do my job and it comes off as a bit petty for them to make a gesture as such. So no, I don't feel the need to alter my behavior as I am maximizing my productivity with the method I am using now. If someone can't wait an extra few seconds, then they are short tempered.

Is it really necessary for them to gesture to me to hurry up?
In that case I agree with being polite and maybe you should take that up with their leader and express you feelings.
Pulling a pallet to the floor before the store opens is the most efficient way for me to do so because the pallet is ready to move, meaning I don't have to waste time filling a U-boat or flatbed, and I am clearing space in the backroom.
Your freight should be on vehicle which would give you more space than a pallet would .
as I am maximizing my productivity with the method I am using now.
You are not maximizing your productivity because that’s old school best practice Aka inbound style . We are now on modernization best practice which is no pallets whatsoever.

@allnew2 Pulling a pallet from the backroom onto the floor is the way my TL and more experience GM's than me taught me how to do it. It's still 10x more efficient than U-boats or flatbeds. If there is a more efficient way post-modernization than my store must have missed that memo. Which just reinforces my believe that my store's leadership is lackluster.

Back