Anyone else started loosing hours

I don't get these folks who take so little pride in their work ethic and have so little consideration for fellow TMs that they will call out at the drop of a hat, not to mention come in late and leave early.

I get what you are saying and before I worked HR I felt it all very strongly. But after being in the TSC and hearing conversations leaders (all levels) have about tms and then seeing how little tms are appreciated at the end of the day, I get it.

Target sucks at creating good leadership. If any of us come across it it's because that person is good at it, not because Target taught them anything. Training anyone in leadership seems to be all about metrics and goals and nothing about managing human beings. And it's born out by what we all see in our stores where tms are expected to do a full days work in their measly 4 hour shifts 3 or 4 days a week with little regard for the reality of the situation.

Then, after a year of busting your ass they hand out 20 cent raises? If leadership at least understood that acknowledgement on a regular basis does wonders for morale they would see more loyalty. But I see a lot of dejected tms everyday who lose their drive to be loyal to a company that obviously doesn't care if they are there or not.

A good company understands that their workforce is an asset and when treated with respect will go the extra mile. Unfortunately, Target doesn't embrace that philosophy and everyone suffers for it.

While I agree that we are all replaceable, good attendance speaks to reliabilty and work ethic. Leaders definitely appreciate TMs who show up, and show up ready to work. Of course, that and 3 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. But still, I don't get these folks who take so little pride in their work ethic and have so little consideration for fellow TMs that they will call out at the drop of a hat, not to mention come in late and leave early. It's not a good look, and I really wish leadership would be more stringent when it comes to attendance - especially no-call/no-shows, way too much leeway given where those are concerned.

Guess I'm old-school but a job is a commitment - yes even in lowly retail, and barring a legitimate reason, being a responsible, reliable adult means showing up for work.
Loyalty to a company has a stopping point. I've made the mistake of pushing past that stopping point. Work ethic is pushing to that point and having someone rub ethic in your face to go past that point to your detriment. I've pushed past that point to where my health suffered for it, I may be doing it again by spending so many off the clock hours to my organizer so on the clock has far less pain, but no one should be so "work ethical" they push past that point.

Reliable means something when you're not a nameless, faceless mass. Reliable means they can count on you to get the job done. Reliable means nothing when the job will get done anyway just fine without you and will reach the same amount of done whether you are there or not. If they dont need you, if your presence means nothing because so many people means redundancy, then there is no practical application of the concept of reliability.

We're potato chips, no one is going to miss a couple from the bag. Or lemmings from that old game, where you don't need to end with all the lemmings you started with to succeed. There is no point where you can say "I did my job well" because it would have been done equally well or equally poorly if you had half assed it or hid in the bathroom your entire shift, because people are redundant.

Being sick is a legitimate reason to call out. I'm not advocating pushing to the breaking point. That's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about the folks who call out at the drop of a hat, unreliable people who make little effort. There have been some TMs where it's almost a running joke whether they will show up on any given day.

It doesn't matter if someone else will do my job if I'm not there for some dumb reason, or no reason at all - I like my job and I want to keep my job, therefore I SHOW UP and DO my job.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying and before I worked HR I felt it all very strongly. But after being in the TSC and hearing conversations leaders (all levels) have about tms and then seeing how little tms are appreciated at the end of the day, I get it.

Target sucks at creating good leadership. If any of us come across it it's because that person is good at it, not because Target taught them anything. Training anyone in leadership seems to be all about metrics and goals and nothing about managing human beings. And it's born out by what we all see in our stores where tms are expected to do a full days work in their measly 4 hour shifts 3 or 4 days a week with little regard for the reality of the situation.

Then, after a year of busting your ass they hand out 20 cent raises? If leadership at least understood that acknowledgement on a regular basis does wonders for morale they would see more loyalty. But I see a lot of dejected tms everyday who lose their drive to be loyal to a company that obviously doesn't care if they are there or not.

A good company understands that their workforce is an asset and when treated with respect will go the extra mile. Unfortunately, Target doesn't embrace that philosophy and everyone suffers for it.
I guess my store is an outlier then, because my leadership seems to appreciate my efforts and lets me know that they do regularly.

Target definitely sucks at training and developing good TMs though. I'm guessing that the best leaders and TMs are those that come to the company from other retailers.

While I agree that we are all replaceable, good attendance speaks to reliabilty and work ethic. Leaders definitely appreciate TMs who show up, and show up ready to work. Of course, that and 3 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. But still, I don't get these folks who take so little pride in their work ethic and have so little consideration for fellow TMs that they will call out at the drop of a hat, not to mention come in late and leave early. It's not a good look, and I really wish leadership would be more stringent when it comes to attendance - especially no-call/no-shows, way too much leeway given where those are concerned.

Guess I'm old-school but a job is a commitment - yes even in lowly retail, and barring a legitimate reason, being a responsible, reliable adult means showing up for work.
no lies I picked up a shift to get more hours and I forgot and didnt show up...fair I deserve to be reprimanded butdss my ETL wrote me up and said "sorry I have to do this" when I could see how happy that prick was doing it...get this..he is fired for shit I wont get into and im still here with that nice little no call no show report on my record...fuck that pos. From my perspective I care way too much about showing up on time and doing what tasks I am given for the last 4 years. This company basically is like a girl in her room with tik tok and instagram and not sure how to appeal to tomorrows crowd of single moms and basic bitches ..fuck sorry I said too much smh

Last edited:
I was asked this week if I was willing to open my availability. My schedule is now 6 to 2:30 5 days a week. I'll do it for 4th qtr then back to normal hours. Double truck days will be a 4am start. Whatever it's 4th qtr. Expect the unexpected.
Careful with that.
At my store they're all about opening your avail but when you cut it back, they give you flack.
Everything from wheedling/persuading to asking over & over "Do you REALLY want to do that?" then 'forgetting' to key in the new avail.
Then they gut your hours.

We are being told by HR that we lost some of our hours for training the seasonal help and to save all your vacation hours for January because we're going to need them. GOD I LOVE RETAIL!

A call out for an 8 hour shift is a nightmare. Better for business to schedule two 4 hr shifts and ask one to stay late or the other to come in early if there is a call-out.
Also the fact that we don’t need to find coverage for a meal break. The two fifteens are the same, one for each.

Best to have a 4 hr tm that knows what to do and then a 4 hr newbie training after the bulk of the tasks are done.

A call out for an 8 hour shift is a nightmare. Better for business to schedule two 4 hr shifts and ask one to stay late or the other to come in early if there is a call-out.

Nope. You told them the hours they can plan their life around. Planning in advance to demand a last minute schedule change by calling in/staying late is basically ethically breaking a contract of use of their time. And if they have made life plans around that shift (such as the timing was right for a doctor's appt, promise made to their kid to spend time together, maintenance issues that can't be put off, fun stuff as a way to decompress) then they are deemed as not wanting hours and will have their hours slashed.

Also the fact that we don’t need to find coverage for a meal break. The two fifteens are the same, one for each.

Scheduling to avoid actually allowing an employee to eat, rather than for what will make a happy workforce (which is a productive workforce). Hmm, doesn't make sense.

Best to have a 4 hr tm that knows what to do and then a 4 hr newbie training after the bulk of the tasks are done.

Best to have an experienced TM work 8 hours, because experience means efficiency, which means more is done in the second half of the shift than if a newbie is doing it. And -gasp- the experienced person may not quit if being given livable hours, so there would be no need for a newbie. Gee, what a concept.

Careful with that.
At my store they're all about opening your avail but when you cut it back, they give you flack.
Everything from wheedling/persuading to asking over & over "Do you REALLY want to do that?" then 'forgetting' to key in the new avail.
Then they gut your hours.

No worries! I would love them to gut my hours. Actually left early today. They know I will not stay if I don't need the hours.

Nope. You told them the hours they can plan their life around. Planning in advance to demand a last minute schedule change by calling in/staying late is basically ethically breaking a contract of use of their time. And if they have made life plans around that shift (such as the timing was right for a doctor's appt, promise made to their kid to spend time together, maintenance issues that can't be put off, fun stuff as a way to decompress) then they are deemed as not wanting hours and will have their hours slashed.

Scheduling to avoid actually allowing an employee to eat, rather than for what will make a happy workforce (which is a productive workforce). Hmm, doesn't make sense.

Best to have an experienced TM work 8 hours, because experience means efficiency, which means more is done in the second half of the shift than if a newbie is doing it. And -gasp- the experienced person may not quit if being given livable hours, so there would be no need for a newbie. Gee, what a concept.

Your arguement depends on a lot of assumptions about your crew that may not be true in other stores.

First, you assume that all leadership "demands" that people stay. I don't demand (I ask) and I don't beg.

You assume that all experienced TMs want 8 hour shifts. Many of mine aren't even available for 8 hour shifts. My Starbucks is a great example. Most of them are only available 4 to 6 hours a day.

You assume that business needs require a 8 hour shift. My business doesn't for most of my team. My DBOs have areas that are about 5 hours on a normal day, MAYBE 8 in the next 8 weeks. I don't need my freezer DBO for 8 hours a day. There's 5 hours of work in the freezer. There's no good way to split the work easily to make 8 hours.

Finally, you assume that everyone wants livable hours. My team is 80% college students. They don't WANT 40 hours a week. They can't handle school and a full time job. The ones that do want 40 hours and will show up for 40 hours get 40 hours. That's two people on my team of 15.

Oh, and I have my core team on 40 hours a week, likely through Christmas. I have the hours so I scheduled it. I left 10% of those hours on the table this week due to call offs. Next week I left 5% unscheduled at all because everyone was maxed out and I didn't have anyone to schedule.

We’re still feeling the effects of inventory. They used most of the payroll in early October, and they’re playing catch-up. Along with the new seasonal hires, it’s the perfect storm.

I think business needs need 8 hours because of your statement of scheduling two people 4 hours each. Seeing how most Target stores are open more than 100 hours each week, having dedicated experienced workers in the store nearly half those hours each week would get rid of some modernization problems.

Hey, how many here are students looking for a bit of extra cash, and how many here would love to have 8 hour shifts 5 days a week? Remember, by far most people in retail in the US are adults supporting a family.

And back again to worth the money and time. 4 hour shifts feel like a waste of 4 hours of your life. 8 hour shifts make you feel like you did something productive with your life.

Back