Archived Anyone have a TL/GSA with an attendance /loafing issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they keep promoting them too. Fine it ever since they were just a tm.

Recently been made a GSA and all the cashiers keep telling me not to end up like “blah or blah” aka one current and one former GSA who spend their shifts doing nothing, but walking around on their phone or gossiping with coworkers, so yep we’ve had our share.

The one quit after GSTLs started to watch over her and letting her know what was expected of her.

Why not make multiple cashiers GSAs instead of capping the number to whatever per store, so they can all share the workload and cover each other?

You're not paying the GSA anymore than the button-pusher at the lane, SCO, or GS. Find good ones who can step up and help instead of cool-club'ing the promotions. Ahem, "promotions."

If they have attendance issues, performance them out before we get into the thick of Q4. I'd rather know ahead of time that I'm going to be short-staffed. Gives me a chance to find a solution. For loafing, I would performance hard with the goal to be improvement. A GSA that has both issues is usually a lost cause and should just be performanced out. If they don't have the motivation to the do the job now, they're certainly not going to have it during Q4.

Why not make multiple cashiers GSAs instead of capping the number to whatever per store, so they can all share the workload and cover each other?

You're not paying the GSA anymore than the button-pusher at the lane, SCO, or GS. Find good ones who can step up and help instead of cool-club'ing the promotions. Ahem, "promotions."

There's no cap on GSAs since they're classed as TMs instead of TLs in the system. As far as the pay goes, I think that's absolute BS. I give them all a higher pay and so far my STL hasn't fought me on it.

There's no cap on GSAs since they're classed as TMs instead of TLs in the system. As far as the pay goes, I think that's absolute BS. I give them all a higher pay and so far my STL hasn't fought me on it.

ASANTS. :(:( We are "capped" at 4.

As far as the pay goes, I think that's absolute BS. I give them all a higher pay and so far my STL hasn't fought me on it.

[desire to know more intensifies]

Exactly how much can you influence this, pray tell? Can you key in an arbitrary amount or only select from a drop-down of possible paygrades (or both?) Let's say theoretically my ETL were to try and key me for $20/hr, would the system kick it back?

Thats what the front end is all about loafing chilling chatting drama staying in one spot. I've been there seen everything they wouldn't let me stay there long since every leaders knew I had potential and get stuff done so they moved me everywhere.
PS I also got promoted :p

Last edited:
If they have attendance issues, performance them out before we get into the thick of Q4. I'd rather know ahead of time that I'm going to be short-staffed. Gives me a chance to find a solution. For loafing, I would performance hard with the goal to be improvement. A GSA that has both issues is usually a lost cause and should just be performanced out. If they don't have the motivation to the do the job now, they're certainly not going to have it during Q4.

We can not get anyone to take the GSA position.

Exactly how much can you influence this, pray tell? Can you key in an arbitrary amount or only select from a drop-down of possible paygrades (or both?) Let's say theoretically my ETL were to try and key me for $20/hr, would the system kick it back?
Pretty much anything over minimum has to be approved by the HRBP for a non biased opinion.

Workday makes everything easier. I can input the pay myself instead of trying to convince HR to do it. My STL still has to approve it though and so far he's put them all through. I don't put in pay raises at random though. When we hire external GSAs, they don't start at the same base pay as cashiers. So why should we promote internally and not raise the pay? With that reasoning, I bring up all internal promotions to the same starting rate.

I don't think the system will let you put in more than the paygrade, but I haven't tried.

When we hire external GSAs, they don't start at the same base pay as cashiers. So why should we promote internally and not raise the pay? With that reasoning, I bring up all internal promotions to the same starting rate.

Externally hired GSAs do start off at the same starting pay as cashiers.

Both GSAs and cashiers are in the same paygrade. HQ got rid of the job differential for GSAs so both of them have the same pay. For internal work center changes: when you change someone in the same pay grade to GSA, there is no additional pay given because the TM is not moving to a higher pay grade.

If any cashier is below making below base pay (no pay should be below it), then they need to get their pay rate raised to base pay and get paid any retroactive pay for the time that they were underpaid.

Last edited:
I swear to God, except for the TL and one TM, my store has the most passive aggressive, border line surly, lazy, resting bitch face, and stupid GSAs. I understand that dealing with multiple problematic guests and TMs as your job is more than hard, but, Jesus, could you at least fake being pleasant and helpful for just a little bit? Could you separate the HL and SL items when you put them on the three tier? If you are on SCO could you not stand with your back to them talking to the other GSA? I can only think that the TL was told not to write them up for some reason. OK, rant over. Thanks for reading.

Externally hired GSAs do start off at the same starting pay as cashiers.

Both GSAs and cashiers are in the same paygrade. HQ got rid of the job differential for GSAs so both of them have the same pay. For internal work center changes: when you change someone in the same pay grade to GSA, there is no additional pay given because the TM is not moving to a higher pay grade.

If any cashier is below making below base pay (no pay should be below it), then they need to get their pay rate raised to base pay and get paid any retroactive pay for the time that they were underpaid.

Yes I understand that GSAs and cashiers are the same paygrade and that external hires are supposed to have the same starting pay as cashiers. However I don't agree with that. My STL also gave my most recent external hire a higher starting wage, so I take it he sees the new pay guidelines as mere suggestions and not requirements. With that in mind I choose to give all my GSAs a higher starting pay since I expect so much more from them than cashiers. My STL has yet to raise concerns about it and all of them have gone through so...

Yes I understand that GSAs and cashiers are the same paygrade and that external hires are supposed to have the same starting pay as cashiers. However I don't agree with that. My STL also gave my most recent external hire a higher starting wage, so I take it he sees the new pay guidelines as mere suggestions and not requirements. With that in mind I choose to give all my GSAs a higher starting pay since I expect so much more from them than cashiers. My STL has yet to raise concerns about it and all of them have gone through so...

This is what happens when Workday delegates HR functions to non-HR managers. HR keeps it non-biased and in line with policy. The pay chart info are not mere guidelines. Otherwise, people would be able to negotiate during job offer. Leaders can't just key whatever pay rate they want just because they don't agree with it. How is this fair to anyone else who starts at the same pay grade? What about backroom, flow, HR, cart/brand attendants, guest service, etc? They have a lot of responsibilities also. Is your store keying in a higher pay for those roles too? If your store is going to just key whatever pay they want, they might as well be fair about it. GSAs are awesome but they are not the only people who deserve more pay. If I was allowed to key whatever I want without record of it in Workday that could be used as evidence to get me fired, I would give everyone more pay.

Last edited:
This is what happens when Workday delegates HR functions to non-HR managers. HR keeps it non-biased and in line with policy. The pay chart info are not mere guidelines. Otherwise, people would be able to negotiate during job offer. Leaders can't just key whatever pay rate they want just because they don't agree with it. How is this fair to anyone else who starts at the same pay grade? What about backroom, flow, HR, cart/brand attendants, guest service, etc? They have a lot of responsibilities also. Is your store keying in a higher pay for those roles too? If your store is going to just key whatever pay they want, they might as well be fair about it. GSAs are awesome but they are not the only people who deserve more pay. If I was allowed to key whatever I want without record of it in Workday that could be used as evidence to get me fired, I would give everyone more pay.

Ok chill. First of all, I'm not keying in higher wages all willy-nilly. It's $1 and change higher than the starting rate. Secondly, I've definitely seen new hires negotiate a higher starting pay. It's all about the justification and the extra responsibilities they are expected to take on. The company model for GSAs is basically someone who can train new TMs and cover breaks/lunches for GSTLs. That's about it. They're not meant to be used to watch the front for an entire shift, send out equipment, order supplies, etc. However that's what I expect from MY GSAs. It's completely fair to other workcenters because I'm asking more from my GSAs than what's in their job description so I'm paying them more. If there are TMs in other departments that are taking on more responsibilities without higher pay, then that's an issue to take up with their ETL. Not my problem. They're always free to switch to my department. I'd welcome the extra hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back