Archived Anyone's store have any female flow/backroom TMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store won't hire any females for the BR or put any female FLOW tm in the backroom. It suck, the TL says it's because they would be a distraction to all the guys back there, and I guess he's kinda right from what I've seen in our br but still.

Does you stores have any Female backroom tms?
That's stupid and it kinda sounds like discrimination. The backroom and flow team at my store is 50/50 male and female and no one gets "distracted" here.

What I want to know is why female backroom team members and female flow team members don't ever have to make bales, change out hanger boxes, get bags down, use the crown, etc...

Shouldn't backroom team members be trained equally no matter what type of anatomy they have?
Where is the equality here?

Our female backroom and flow TMs do all of those things. We even have a couple of female bowlers on the truck. There is almost nothing in the backroom that requires a great amount of strength to handle. One of the interview questions for logistics is something along the lines of "can you handle lifting and moving boxes weighing up to 50lbs for 8 hours a day?" If they answer "No", we don't hire them. If they said "Yes" but try to pull the "It's to heavy for me" card for anything other than team lifts on a consistent basis, they go out the door.

LOL. OP, if I was a logistics guy at your store, I would be insulted that my leadership thinks that I can't do my job if there's a woman around... any woman. Ridiculous.

There are quite a few women on our flow team, in a variety of ages (I'd say they make up 1/4-1/3 of the team). I don't think I've seen one unload the truck, but they work out every department.

Out of the... 6 backroom TMs, 2 (including myself) are women. The other is in her 50s, won't make bales, won't use the equipment, bitches and moans if she has to lift heavy stuff. We stick her in softlines (where she complains about that, too. Can't win with her). I refuse to be looked down upon or coddled just because of my gender, so I work just as hard (if not moreso) than any of the guys back there. I'm not a big girl, nor especially strong, but I get it done. Most of it is just about working smart. I take care of my guys and they take care of me. I don't feel like I get any special treatment because I'm a woman.

And no, I'm not a "distraction."

on our flow team almost everybody outside of the wave is a woman. softlines, hba loose stock, cosmetics, repack breakout, stationery. We have guys do electronics though. Its just really hard to teach guys how to merchandise softlines and cosmetics because they NEVER buy those things so they really don't know what it should look like. We've occasionally had a guy push mens, but only in a pinch when softlines was HUGE. and almost all of our team leads have been women. we had one male flow team lead once, and he really struggled the whole time.

as far as backroom, women tend to be quicker at backstocking loose stock and pulling the more tedious batches, but when it comes to bowling out and putting up the truck, they're not as useful - all of that running up and down a ladder and lifting heavy boxes is hard for most of the female brtms we've worked with.

I get mad at anyone who says they can't do cosmetics. After Transcend came along its literally just match the colors and numbers.

on our flow team almost everybody outside of the wave is a woman. softlines, hba loose stock, cosmetics, repack breakout, stationery. We have guys do electronics though. Its just really hard to teach guys how to merchandise softlines and cosmetics because they NEVER buy those things so they really don't know what it should look like. We've occasionally had a guy push mens, but only in a pinch when softlines was HUGE. and almost all of our team leads have been women. we had one male flow team lead once, and he really struggled the whole time.

as far as backroom, women tend to be quicker at backstocking loose stock and pulling the more tedious batches, but when it comes to bowling out and putting up the truck, they're not as useful - all of that running up and down a ladder and lifting heavy boxes is hard for most of the female brtms we've worked with.

I get mad at anyone who says they can't do cosmetics. After Transcend came along its literally just match the colors and numbers.
once you find the section it goes in, yeah, its easy as hell now. half of us guys don't know the difference between revlon and sonia kashuk :p

At my store it isn't about men/women getting distracted with eachother in the backroom... it's about that guy talking to that other guy about the game, or cars, or the party planned later on that night. These gems just don't want to work, period. And the TL lets it happen. *shrug* By the way, it's 50/50 men and women. We have one female cart attendant and none on flow. It's also 50/50 in the produce department where 60 pound boxes of celery are lifted daily.

My backroom use to have equal amount of men/women. It worked great, consistently number 1 in our district.

I don't know where your store is but if I had an ETL tell me no female team members in the back room, I would be on a hotline cal in an instant. There is no damn job at Target that a female cannot do or that a male cannot do. A penis does not make you better at back stocking than a vagina does. If your back room could not concentrate because a female was back there, they need to be gone. I have had excellent female cart attendants, cart attendants and back room team members. Likewise I have had excellent male soft lines, food cafe and cashiers. What your gender is makes ZERO difference on your performance

We HAD a female backroom team member and she was good, but then Mytime started scheduling us at the same time and she would spend the whole shift flirting with me. It slowed down after I told everyone on the flow team that she was getting annoying. Now it only happens on break/lunch or when she is back at my place ;)

We have lots of women on the flow team and a couple in the backroom. I am not sure why anyone, team member, tl or etl would even hint that women couldn't do the back room work. IF they think a woman would be a distraction to the guys back there....then sounds to me like the guys may be the issue. If they were doing their job..they wouldn't have time to be distracted. I am a guy and a work in the back room...and I know that my female co workers work just as hard as I do.

75 percent of ours are all women. The men unload and push the truck. The women work softlines or backstock the truck. The flow tl is male, the br tl is female.

I am an early morning (4am) backroom team member, female, and will be 55 at the end of the year. It's not the easiest job in the world but I do it, and I do it well. About 50% of the entire backroom team is female, and they are some of the hardest workers in the store. 50% of the flow team is women too. They work the line, bowl out the pallets and stock the shelves better than most of the young men. The Flow TL and the ETL Logistics are both women.

We have 3 in the backroom. One is by far our best team member. Other than her lack of skills with the powered equipment but she more than makes up for it by being by far the best backstocker and blackliner. We have an older lady who closes who is also very good. Our receiver is female and she backstocks a good bit of market for us.
Honestly I am usually happy when they bring a female into the backroom, usually work harder and screw around a lot less.
Probably about 60% of flow is female. Has been that way most of the time that I have been at my store.

I seriously thought this was a joke thread until I read how many sexist backrooms there are.

50/50 on flow. 90% backroom is ladies. as a girl, i can make bales, use the machine, do guest carry outs. i struggle with some heavy stuff so i dont work bulk alot. our male tms work it. just better at lifting and moving heavy items. im better at backstocking cosm. then some guys are. lol

I don't know where your store is but if I had an ETL tell me no female team members in the back room, I would be on a hotline cal in an instant. There is no damn job at Target that a female cannot do or that a male cannot do. A penis does not make you better at back stocking than a vagina does. If your back room could not concentrate because a female was back there, they need to be gone. I have had excellent female cart attendants, cart attendants and back room team members. Likewise I have had excellent male soft lines, food cafe and cashiers. What your gender is makes ZERO difference on your performance
I agree. But from what I've seen in my total of 2 years so far at the store, we had about 7 girls in the backroom, and they would flirt with the guys and vice versa. since then, 5 quit/termed, one went to dayside and the other is a lesbian so the amount of work getting done picked up on it's own. I guess the etl feels no need to add women to the backroom when it didn't work before. Whether that's discrimination or what i don't know. My ETL is a woman so she can't be sexist against women lol. I guess she feels it would be even worse to can the already trained male br team just to add females when it didn't do so well before.

We do have one female that currently works the line during unload but the girls that get put in "demanding" postions in our store seem to quit at a way faster rate than the guys. Our last flow female hires came in last October(about 5 of them) and only one is still here. So it's her, and the old softline ladies that
s been there for years. For the amount of TM's, it's - 4-5 Females(repacks and softlines) compared to the 27 Males(backroom/Flow wave)

I won't lie though, Im tired of being around sweaty guys all day :(

I hate it when team members flirt and just bs around. Do that on your own time. I shouldn't have to walk around you because you are standing still flirting. Do that crap on your own time and not in the backroom. Sometimes I wish we could just subdue our emotions by maybe 50 percent. I don't have a problem if a backroom team member has a penis or vagina. I just want you to do your fair share of work. That means you make bales, operate the crown, change hanger boxes, do FF, and answer your walkie when someone needs something pulled on the GM side and you are on the GM side. Equal treatment and equal pay mean equal work. No shortcuts or sympathy exemptions.

Our team has some women on it; the backroom overnight is all male, but there are some daytime females in the backroom. The flow team has females on it, but they do not unload the truck (one scans); most of them do softlines, HBA, or Stationary. The hardlines crew (aka the line) has one female who only scans, but pushes.

I think having women on the team is nice; they work much better on the floor than their male counter-parts (most are older). One of our SrTL's is a female.

Personally, I do not GAF what the gender of the person is. I have been a supervisor before, I look at qualifications and ability to be productive, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, ethnic background, etc, as I understand that it is 2014. That being said, I do not give special privileges to those groups, nor do I discriminate against them (I have been discriminated against before, although I am a male). Target is my holdover/supplementary job (when I worked 10 years ago as a cashier, all of my TL's were female). I have the same level of expectations for everyone. When I played football in high school, some females complained about not being able to play (we DID have some females in our flag football league in college; we had a couple who were very good). However, we expected them to be able to take a hit (one female tried out and was hit at three-quarter speed and quit), tackle, perform drills, and go though two and three-a-days like everyone else. I would have loved to have some female football teammates, but they have to be able to perform like everyone else (we let one be a kicker, even though she was third-string). However, I will also apply common sense; I will lift a 125-pound box for a female. When I worked briefly at a construction project, I had to lift two 96-pound bags of cement (one on each shoulder), and sometimes even heavier stuff. I would not ask a female to perform this task....unless she insisted. I will move the cages for females if they are working the baler that day. I don't mind females being hired or promoted, as long as they are able to perform the job at a high level. When a female signs that paper at orientation, the expectations for her should be the same as anyone else. As I said, common sense needs to be applied; I don't expect a 60-year old woman to work the line; however, if she insists, then I expect her to perform as well, or almost as well as a 20-year old male. We have an 88-year old woman (!) who works well, and does stationary (consider my expectations exceeded by her merely working at 88!).

We have several women who work backroom at my store, most of whom are older (over 50/55). They don't use the stacker or power jack but they still work hard. There's also an excellent older lady on the flow team who always works harder than the 20something men on the flow team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back