Archived AP - Shortage Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
My shortage indicator is blood red and not just because of fourth quarter. It has been for awhile. From all my time in AP its never been a focus of mine because I've been able to drive down shortage year over year without paying much attention to it. Personally I think the report is flawed (mostly around the instocks area) but alas some higher ups are beginning to focus in on it in a big way. Other stores in my district are better on average but aren't really that great either.

I've started putting guest service and reverse logistics back on best practice with CRC. Price Accuracy is generally pretty green but its my only win. So, does anyone here have any advice on how I can get the rest of these numbers green?

I do the drastic count report for my store. If I can't find it. I zero it out. So..all items must be pushed, backstockedactually located, not just stting in a location), zoned and reshopped for this to be acuurate. I dare to dream...

Focus on CrC and instocks and get on backroom TMs with there baffles would be a start? (Not too knowledgeable about baffles.)

Focus on CrC and instocks and get on backroom TMs with there baffles would be a start? (Not too knowledgeable about baffles.)

Also get on the cashier heads for thier 999 sales . Review transactions see where the problems lie. Are they legit needin to 999 stuff or are they being lazy and not looking for barcodes ( for softlines for example).

RankOne are you a TPS. Or TL? My TL designates CRC,999's,Dup license plates, all that jaz to me. He takes care of price accuracy, instocks, and baffles.

I dont have the formula for instocks points but its basically count update dollars vs sales. If your store is making sales = more count updates during the month that would probably not hurt your instocks score. If your store sees like low amount of sales (some hole in the wall ulv store) You could also still be green you also have to get on your instock TMs and there countupdates. If your instock tm has like 1000 updates in a one month span theres a problem.

What specifically can I do to improve instocks

1) Be 100% on Push and Backstock
2) Stocking and Zone -- Needs to be stocked right. Endcaps are pretty much MPG the moment they are set. Many times things can be flexed on endcaps. Zone wise, zoning is more than just pulling product forward. The closers need to ensure things are in the right place. Many times I have opened and seen abandon just zoned right in where ever it was.
3)In a high shortage area like cosmetics, partner with the brand TM ( if there is one) to help with stand alone RSCH on days that they are in the area on outs. Same with intimate apparel. You can spend an hour scanning one 2-way of lingerie or panties. See if the SL brand TM can help with a thorough zone the day before.
4) Timeliness -- If you start scanning at 9 AM, you will not get done. Been there, done that. Too many times freight was still being worked.
5) We now do hardlines new/old outs on a day when there is no GM trailer. This has helped with instock completion. If this is an option, see if it can be done for you.
6) Backroom location accuracy. If you have a high number of ghost/baffles, an LOCU may be needed in those affected areas.
7) Partner with the salesfloor TLs on endcaps that are not real POGs. Store created endcaps need to be tied so instocks knows they are there as well for replenishment purposes.
8) Completion of the drastic report.
9) Any RIG that you skip today, will snowball on your workload tomorrow.

That is all I can think of for now. It's been a few years since I had instocks.

9) Any RIG that you skip today, will snowball on your workload tomorrow.
Just a clarification, this is no longer correct. Skipped RIG tasks are just missed opportunities, they will not appear the next day.

Seems like this is a poor operational choice. Especially after inventory when you are faced with significantly more RIGs. 5 years ago when I had instocks and was inventory captain, we had almost 800 RIGs 2 days after Inventory.

I think in the near future there will be a big push for holding the DCs accountable for accurate counts coming into the stores. The deeper we dig the more discrepencies we find. Any inaccurate counts or product from the DC will negatively effect the in stocks portion of the shortage indicator. Also you can take solace in the fact that aside from the AP pyramid nobody really cares too much about SI. Leaders want to see a full floor more than they're concerned with count updates. SI is a garbage in garbage out report...you want to be green, don't shoot instocks...want to be red, do a great shoot every week. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice guys. Its true that you can have great shortage numbers and a mediocre or terrible SI over the same timespan. Some people in positions of power don't seem to understand that though.

I think in the near future there will be a big push for holding the DCs accountable for accurate counts coming into the stores. The deeper we dig the more discrepencies we find. Any inaccurate counts or product from the DC will negatively effect the in stocks portion of the shortage indicator. Also you can take solace in the fact that aside from the AP pyramid nobody really cares too much about SI. Leaders want to see a full floor more than they're concerned with count updates. SI is a garbage in garbage out report...you want to be green, don't shoot instocks...want to be red, do a great shoot every week. Just my two cents.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately its on the store fact sheet and people in charge of your promotions see red and freak out.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately its on the store fact sheet and people in charge of your promotions see red and freak out.

You're right about the fact sheet; however if you can speak to great instocks routines, green instocks surveys, green dtl visits with regards to instocks, and if the majority of the CUs performed are legitimate shortage rather than items being lost in the store, I think you'll still be in great shape. It's imperative to do your due diligence, but you never want to pencil whip SI by limiting count changes on legitimate shortage.

One thing I could never stand was to see a filthy dirty old drunky howling away at the filthy songs of his fathers and going blurp blurp in between as it might be a filthy old orchestra in his stinking rotten guts; I could never stand to see anyone like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back