Archived AP team leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today it was brought to my attention that my name was nominated for a possible AP team lead position. I was supposed to work a temp tl position for something else for a few months (no pay raise... No big luxuries, just more work) in a work center I enjoy. This was a huge shock. I only work with my ap tl on occasion. What exactly does this consist of? Is it a good opportunity if I'm looking to go in the direction of an ETL some day?

In my humble opinion, APTL is the absolute best position in the store. Your roles involve: keeping the store safe and secure by driving safety best practices and ensuring key control is followed, etc; reducing shortage by driving down theft and fraud and following up on operational issues; and maintaining community engagement with law enforcement through events like National Night Out.

What will you be doing?
Apprehending shoplifters.
Making sure TPS are following their core roles.
Partnering with ETLs to resolve shortage issues in their departments.
Leading internal investigations on team members.
Actively communicating with your peers in the district.
And I won't lie here, watching a lot of video and reading a lot of reports.

If you have the ability to demonstrate courage and are a good communicator its a great position. You get so much flexibility, its a totally different experience from any other workcenter. You're basically an ETL without the additional hours, stress, LOD duties!

Long story short, do it!

Edit: All that being said, its usually very difficult becoming an APTL if you aren't already in AP. There's going to be a lot of people in the district who are in AP who want it. But if the STL is behind you on it, anything is possible. He makes the final decision!

Last edited:
Yeah... My STL and all five of our ETLs said my name and want me in the position. They know how well I improve scores and how involved I am and how hard I work. They know I will be dedicated.

I've been told that it is the best opportunity that could come to me at this time. I guess at this point I definitely can't turn it down.

Thank you RO!! Anyone else have anything to add?

I have to just add to the chorus, go for it man.

Thanks everyone! I told them I would think about it. But I think I can officially say that I am interested. It truly sounds like a great opportunity. The position still isn't open yet... But hopefully soon.

Any interview advice?

Thanks everyone! I told them I would think about it. But I think I can officially say that I am interested. It truly sounds like a great opportunity. The position still isn't open yet... But hopefully soon.

Any interview advice?

Other than the things you should know in general for Target interviews (covered in other threads) emphasize your ability to demonstrate courage (especially to other leaders - challenging upwards), communicate effectively, and make the decision that's best for the business.

Oftentimes in AP our interests seem directly opposed to what most other leaders want. For examples just see my shortage indicator thread. Or with The Vibe, maybe we'd rather not be using No Barcode to speed up a checkout. However its important to realize that everything in moderation we need to accept as what's best for the company. Maybe an item's sale goes unidentified, but because the checkout was faster and less of a hassle for that guest, they'll return and spend more! AP leaders who have to be by the book 100% of the time will never gain the buy in of other leaders and thus never get anything done. So what I'm trying to say is emphasize that you're willing to challenge leaders when appropriate, but also be willing to give some ground for the greater goals of the business.

Wow! Great advice! Thank you so much! I do demonstrate courage quite often... If I think I know of a better option, I'll question the leaders, in a nice way of course. Maybe they have really noticed that...

I am currently an APL(no TPS) and have been in AP for a few years, let me know if you have any questions.

What is the difference between apl and aptl?? In a store where that is the only ap position. Difference like pay, job expectations, etc.

As an APL you are the only AP team member in the store. As an APTL you may or may not be the only AP leader in the store. If you are the only AP leader you will be responsible for everything the APL is responsible for plus managing your TPS. Same pay grade pretty much same expectations. I'm not sure of how it runs when you are in an ETL AP and APTL store.

Source: I'm an APL

Last edited:
Yes both are pg15. What kind of store are you looking at applying for? ETL AP with APTL, APTL store, APL store?

Cool, APL is pretty awesome but there is a lot of work associated with it. As an APL you might as well be an exec because you are the only one over all of AP for the store. Let me know if you have any questions!

One thing I believe helped me through my interview is the doing well with the typical tell me about a time questions but also showing a drive and passion for AP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back