Archived Applied for Full Time, hired for Seasonal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, sorry if I put this in the wrong forum section. I applied to Target a bit ago, went through Orientation and started working and I was just told that we were all hired as Seasonal and that some of us may be kept on depending on our job performance.

I was not told this when I was going through the hiring process, nor was I told this during Orientation and it comes as a complete blindside to me now that I've actually been in-training for a few days.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Do I take this to HR even though they didn't inform me themselves during the proccess of hiring or, if not, does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do in order to be one of the people that's kept on after the rest of the Seasonals have been let go?

So, sorry if I put this in the wrong forum section. I applied to Target a bit ago, went through Orientation and started working and I was just told that we were all hired as Seasonal and that some of us may be kept on depending on our job performance.

I was not told this when I was going through the hiring process, nor was I told this during Orientation and it comes as a complete blindside to me now that I've actually been in-training for a few days.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do? Do I take this to HR even though they didn't inform me themselves during the proccess of hiring or, if not, does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do in order to be one of the people that's kept on after the rest of the Seasonals have been let go?

Show up on time. Never be late or call in. Don't cause any problems. Be willing to learn. Do what your told. Show compassion for target and want to learn everything. Don't steal. Then you should be okay and they may consider keeping you on after 90 days.

Show up on time. Never be late or call in. Don't cause any problems. Be willing to learn. Do what your told. Show compassion for target and want to learn everything. Don't steal. Then you should be okay and they may consider keeping you on after 90 days.

Thanks for the advice! 'May' isn't as encouraging as I might like, but, I guess it's all I can do! :)

If you were hired as seasonal you would have had to sign a seasonal addendum I would ask your HR if you are legitimately seasonal.

We have done some orientations where some are seasonal and others are regular

If you were hired as seasonal you would have had to sign a seasonal addendum I would ask your HR if you are legitimately seasonal.

This. When I was hired seasonally many moons ago they didn't have that paper for you to sign but I remember that they started it shortly after. They definitely should have had this person sign something if they were seasonal.

Also, OP did they not give you a chance to ask questions during your interviews? I asked about hours and was told Target has no full time positions. This was 10 years ago. Still pretty much true. :rolleyes:

That might be the case, HRZone. I actually called in and asked if there had been any changes in my Orientation and I was told that there was one and if I could attend, so, it's possible they just stuck me in with the seasonals at the last minute and forget to inform me. I don't remember seeing any seasonal addendum sheet or anything like that.

This. When I was hired seasonally many moons ago they didn't have that paper for you to sign but I remember that they started it shortly after. They definitely should have had this person sign something if they were seasonal.

Also, OP did they not give you a chance to ask questions during your interviews? I asked about hours and was told Target has no full time positions. This was 10 years ago. Still pretty much true. :rolleyes:

I asked about hours during my interviews, certainly, I had full time and full availability on the application and they didn't seem to have any problems with that. If they did, they certainly didn't bring it up nor make any indication it wasn't available.

That might be the case, HRZone. I actually called in and asked if there had been any changes in my Orientation and I was told that there was one and if I could attend, so, it's possible they just stuck me in with the seasonals at the last minute and forget to inform me. I don't remember seeing any seasonal addendum sheet or anything like that.

I asked about hours during my interviews, certainly, I had full time and full availability on the application and they didn't seem to have any problems with that. If they did, they certainly didn't bring it up nor make any indication it wasn't available.
This isn't saying that you won't get full time hours, and you might get them consistently. But also know that it can change at any time if you are not a TL or higher. I use to average 37 for a very long time and though it has gone down, I have not fallen below averaging 34... yet. The lowest amount of hours that I have been scheduled that I can remember was either 23 or 24.

Also Target wants you to be open all the time so they can work you whenever. Doesn't mean you won't get scheduled 15 or so hours one week though.

Also Target wants you to be open all the time so they can work you whenever. Doesn't mean you won't get scheduled 15 or so hours one week though.
Yeah, they made that pretty clear. They said don't get used to /anything/ on the schedule. ;)

Yeah only PMTs are guaranteed 40 hours a week. Some stores consistently give their AP, Signing or Receiver 40 but that is not guaranteed.
Same at my store. PMT is a 40 hr along with a couple AP, receiver and the usual backroomer though with e2e the backroomer will most likely go away. Most I know we're hired as "seasonal" which was made very clear during orientation complete with the extra form to sign. Those that kept their head up and performed were kept on. If we see a seasonal that does a good job we let the ETLs know they should ask the TM if they would like to stay after their 90 days. They typically listen as we're the ones working directly with them.

As said, keep your head up, follow instruction and work hard and most will be kept on. In my area it's difficult to find good workers.

Same at my store. PMT is a 40 hr along with a couple AP, receiver and the usual backroomer though with e2e the backroomer will most likely go away. Most I know we're hired as "seasonal" which was made very clear during orientation complete with the extra form to sign. Those that kept their head up and performed were kept on. If we see a seasonal that does a good job we let the ETLs know they should ask the TM if they would like to stay after their 90 days. They typically listen as we're the ones working directly with them.

As said, keep your head up, follow instruction and work hard and most will be kept on. In my area it's difficult to find good workers.

Thanks! I'll do my best!

Yeah only PMTs are guaranteed 40 hours a week. Some stores consistently give their AP, Signing or Receiver 40 but that is not guaranteed.
I don't think our current signing person has ever had 40 hours, which is a damn shame because signing can definitely be a beast sometimes and it's a job I don't ever want. We had a signing person quit because they were only averaging like 20-25 hours. Meanwhile I was friends with someone who did signing at another store that consistently got 40 hours.

I don't think our current signing person has ever had 40 hours, which is a damn shame because signing can definitely be a beast sometimes and it's a job I don't ever want. We had a signing person quit because they were only averaging like 20-25 hours. Meanwhile I was friends with someone who did signing at another store that consistently got 40 hours.

Yeah my last two stores gave their signing tm 40 hours on a set schedule. Sweet gig for 16 an hour.

My new store only gives our signing like 24 with a schedule that varies.

At my store Team Leaders and the PMT are 40 hours. Receiver gets very close to 40 hours. Our signing TM only get 25 hours/week. I can't complain about my schedule, I get every other weekend off and I get close to 40 or 40 every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back