Archived Applied Last Friday, A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in my application last Fri. night for hardlines (had open positions), and Electronics (did not). My nephew works at the same store in Electronics. I am hoping this will be a good thing, kind of an ice breaker at an interview. Also, he'd be a good resource to show me the ropes, if/when we ever worked the same shift (or off the clock of course). I've been a stay at home dad for years now. I haven't worked since 2001 because of this, but it's just time for me to get back into the work force. How big a deal is it, that I wasn't sure exactly when the dates were for my last few jobs? They were back around 1998-2001. I just kinda guessed. And will they care/ask why I haven't worked in so long?

Also, I know ASANTS, but how often would I normally be cashiering if I get hired for hardlines? I've always been a bit of a shy person, so I applied for hardlines, as I assumed it'd be less direct interaction with guests vs. cashier, but I know I'd have to do some cashier. Is it that much? Or is it too varied depending on store?

Getting ahead of myself here, as they may not have liked my application...but how long do you think it'd be til I heard from them at all?
Is the preemployment assessment really that important? There were quite a few questions where both choices make you look bad, so I didn't worry about it much and picked an answer and moved on. Wondering if I should have debated my choices more.

If I do get hired, I'll probably hang out here often and see what others have to say/ask. Been lurking for a few days already since I applied. I haven't interviewed in so long, really nervous if they call and want to do a phone interview, not sure what to say.

Thanks, that's all for now ;)

Shouldn't be any problem for you with the gap in your employment history. My store had many women who had been stay at home parents for 10 or more years.

Also, coming into 4th Quarter Target is eager for new Team Members.

Welcome to The Break Room.

As far as the cashiering goes, every day is different. I was Hardlines in a medium volume store for about a year, and it varried day by day. Sometimes I wouldn't have to go up to backup the cashiers at all, and sometimes I couldn't escape the registers. All depends on how busy the store is and how many cashiers are actually on the schedule. Good luck! :)

Enjoy the ride.

To be honest, I don't think Spot would care about you having a gap in your employment. They regularly hire people with no prior experience. If they liked your application, you should hear back within two weeks, maybe even less depending on how desperate the store is.

Expect to cashier at least once every shift unless you're closing. And you'll still be approached directly by people when you're on the salesfloor.

Best of luck, and welcome to The Break Room.

I haven't heard from them yet. Should I wait another week? Would calling help or annoy them?

Ok, thanks. I might wait until after the week-end then, and call first thing Monday morning if I don't hear anything today. Getting really nervous, I'd like to know either way asap. ;) Just call the general number for the store? What should I say exactly?

Ok, thanks. I might wait until after the week-end then, and call first thing Monday morning if I don't hear anything today. Getting really nervous, I'd like to know either way asap. ;) Just call the general number for the store? What should I say exactly?

Just ask for HR.

Is the preemployment assessment really that important? There were quite a few questions where both choices make you look bad, so I didn't worry about it much and picked an answer and moved on. Wondering if I should have debated my choices more.

If I do get hired, I'll probably hang out here often and see what others have to say/ask. Been lurking for a few days already since I applied. I haven't interviewed in so long, really nervous if they call and want to do a phone interview, not sure what to say.

Thanks, that's all for now ;)

Whether the pre-employment assessment depends on the store, if you applied at a "Hard to Hire" store (stores that don't get a high number of applicants) we aren't allowed to use the assessment to decide whether we are going to offer you and interview or not. If you're availability is good and we have an open position we are supposed to try to interview you, again that depends on the store.

As far as the lag, some stores leave applicants in the que up to a week. I hate that, I always try to contact people within 48 hours, hate calling someone and hearing them say, "I found a job elsewhere." They also might wait until October and try to hire you seasonally.

My nephew who works at the same store says that it's the highest volume store in our area, FWIW.

Got a rejection email this morning, I'm bummed. Didn't get a call or anything for an interview, just an email saying they could not offer me a position at this time. What generally would that mean? Should I try again? I was just reading headlines on a news site that they plan to hire 70K seasonal workers this year...should I call and ask why I was rejected? Just re-apply right away? Wait a bit? Grrr....I was really looking forward to getting in.

at my store, we had to stop hiring & cut 250 plus payroll hours. you have to wait for 60 day s before reapplying. try Lowes, now.

Got a rejection email this morning, I'm bummed. Didn't get a call or anything for an interview, just an email saying they could not offer me a position at this time. What generally would that mean? Should I try again? I was just reading headlines on a news site that they plan to hire 70K seasonal workers this year...should I call and ask why I was rejected? Just re-apply right away? Wait a bit? Grrr....I was really looking forward to getting in.

Season hiring starts in two weeks so I doubt they rejected you for that reason. What availability did you put on your application, that is the number one reason we deny applicants pre interview.

I think I put 7:45 (or maybe 7:15) am til 11:45 PM. Although I could do the occasional 5 am open (or earlier) or whenever after midnight to end. I just don't want the overnight shift. But I wouldn't mind starting really early or staying after store close for a while if need be. I was really hoping to get a phone call or interview to make that clarification...but now I may not? I think my nephew said he has to come in like once a month at like 6. I could do that, and could stay all night if I had to for things like Black Friday. As I said, I just didn't want 11 pm- 7 am or whatnot to be my regular shift.

HRZone, for what reason? You said, "I doubt they rejected you for that reason...."

Last edited:
I think I put 7:45 (or maybe 7:15) am til 11:45 PM. Although I could do the occasional 5 am open (or earlier) or whenever after midnight to end. I just don't want the overnight shift. But I wouldn't mind starting really early or staying after store close for a while if need be. I was really hoping to get a phone call or interview to make that clarification...but now I may not? I think my nephew said he has to come in like once a month at like 6. I could do that, and could stay all night if I had to for things like Black Friday. As I said, I just didn't want 11 pm- 7 am or whatnot to be my regular shift.

HRZone, for what reason? You said, "I doubt they rejected you for that reason...."

I was implying that if they were considering you for seasonal, they would not have sent you a rejection email. We pass seasonal people along but let them known they wont officially be hired until October.

Not sure how many Targets are in your area Paradox, but if the first Target you tried for didn't take you, try for another one close by to it. It might be the same one as nephew, but at least it's still Target.

So would something like saying 5 am to 2 am be good? Like I said, pretty sure I put 7:15 or 7:45 am til 11:45 pm originally. I tried to put 12:30 am as end time, but the app webpage wouldn't let me, it kept saying start time must be before end time. I just can't/don't want to do the overnight shift (11 to 7..or whatever it is at Target). But I can come really early and stay late as need be.

Him, the other Targets in my area aren't as convenient to get to. I don't drive, so I'd be either taking the bus, Uber, or getting a ride from my wife before her work, or my sis-in-law. But the other stores are farther away, and not really an option for me sadly. Crossing my fingers calling in to the store works some magic. I've never done retail before, so I'm really nervous, but I'm up for the challenge. I want to see if I'm cut out for it, and am really determined to give it my all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back