Archived Are all closing leads former Senior TLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am the only Senior left at my store and we had 3 last year. I have expressed that I have no interest in the position due to work/life balance reasons. I was told at first that if nobody in the store was interested then they would hire externally. Now I am being told that it has to be someone internal and a senior TL per our DTL. Are they going to try and force me to take it? If so they better come at me with more than pleases and thank yous!

So I am the only Senior left at my store and we had 3 last year. I have expressed that I have no interest in the position due to work/life balance reasons. I was told at first that if nobody in the store was interested then they would hire externally. Now I am being told that it has to be someone internal and a senior TL per our DTL. Are they going to try and force me to take it? If so they better come at me with more than pleases and thank yous!
All closing leads are srtl yes. They probably will try and force and that’s you chance to push hard on what you want

Our closing tl isn't a senior and under pay grade 40.

Where I live if you make even $20 an hour and you have no kids you’re basically Warren Buffett. Only exaggerating a lil bit. One of our TLs makes $18 an hour and lives in a crappy double wide in a sketch neighborhood on purpose which is the closest you can get to living for free. In a way he has it better than a lot of ETLs just by being hourly and not salary. But $25 sounds even better. Good luck and may this bread be with you!

Where I live if you make even $20 an hour and you have no kids you’re basically Warren Buffett. Only exaggerating a lil bit. One of our TLs makes $18 an hour and lives in a crappy double wide in a sketch neighborhood on purpose which is the closest you can get to living for free. In a way he has it better than a lot of ETLs just by being hourly and not salary. But $25 sounds even better. Good luck and may this bread be with you!

Couple of people quit lately. When you asked them what they were doing after Target. Going on vacation for a month. I want to make what you make. 2 weeks without a job and I'd be making paper out of the lint trap just to buy bread.

I have team members that make about 19$ an hour , I’m a tl and I make above 20$ But then again there is other tl in my store that makes 30$

ASANTS most likely, but don't take that job without getting a very firm committment about what your authority is and that if a TM is in the building when you are LOD, you have authority over what they are doing. Our closing lead doesn't have that. He has his team that he can direct, but if someone on another team gets scheduled instead of one of his people or picks up a shift on swap, the closing lead's authority is very circumscribed. I'm currently being given a lot of night shifts instead of our regular closers to give me more hours during the slow time. If my ETL or SrTL notice I'm on the grid, then what I'm going to be doing at night is entirely up to them. The closing lead can't change it even though it leaves him down a person for his normal closing routine. He's just below my SrTL in the unofficial store pecking order. It's not a good spot to be in

ASANTS most likely, but don't take that job without getting a very firm committment about what your authority is and that if a TM is in the building when you are LOD, you have authority over what they are doing. Our closing lead doesn't have that. He has his team that he can direct, but if someone on another team gets scheduled instead of one of his people or picks up a shift on swap, the closing lead's authority is very circumscribed. I'm currently being given a lot of night shifts instead of our regular closers to give me more hours during the slow time. If my ETL or SrTL notice I'm on the grid, then what I'm going to be doing at night is entirely up to them. The closing lead can't change it even though it leaves him down a person for his normal closing routine. He's just below my SrTL in the unofficial store pecking order. It's not a good spot to be in
The Senior role is supposed to go away when you get a closing lead. Also the closing lead in my mind is between “senior” and ETL because you’re in charge of the store when ever an ETL or STL isn’t in the store

Being a closing tl, means you are the lod & no one else above you, at night. No weekends, supposedly.
We don't have one at my store, yet.

While I agree with you, come full company modernization the position won’t exist so they shouldn’t get used to it.

Maybe on paper. At my store, I know that's not what is going to happen. My SrTL has been at the same location for 20+ years. She's adored by everyone from DTL on down, including me. Soon, she might not be in charge of me on paper, but in reality she very much still will be. ASANTS.

Maybe on paper. At my store, I know that's not what is going to happen. My SrTL has been at the same location for 20+ years. She's adored by everyone from DTL on down, including me. Soon, she might not be in charge of me on paper, but in reality she very much still will be. ASANTS.
Fair but she will be no longer keyed as a senior TL as that doesn’t exist and only a regular TL with a key.

what I wanna know is how your STL and ETLs have let a culture develop where team members don't have to respect the LOD? our closing lead is basically viewed as and treated like an ETL. she's the store director when he isn't in the building and sets the priorities for the store (and the other leads/their teams) accordingly.

what I wanna know is how your STL and ETLs have let a culture develop where team members don't have to respect the LOD? our closing lead is basically viewed as and treated like an ETL. she's the store director when he isn't in the building and sets the priorities for the store (and the other leads/their teams) accordingly.

Hmmm....I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't respect the closing lead. I actually really like the guy and think he's great at what he does. (However, since he got shot down at trying to get me reassigned to his team, he's been a bit distant. That's understandable though. We're generally on the same page about what needs to be done and big zoning freaks so we get along.) What I meant was that it doesn't matter what he thinks the store needs are. Whatever my SrTL has written down as my tasks for the night are what I'm to do and the closing lead cannot reassign on an as needed basis without getting permission from someone above him, which isn't going to happen. It's not a lack or respect from me. It's him not being granted the authority from higher ups to determine what my priorities are for the night if my SrTL or ETL have given directions.

It kind of sucks. If the closing lead had his way and could reassign me, I know he'd have me do my absolute favorite task at the store: deep zone toys. That's what he does whenever directions haven't been left. But, as much as I like my SrTL she doesn't share my passion for a good zone. So, toys might look rough as hell, but I'll stiil be pushing home furnishing at 9pm because that's what was directed from above. :confused:

Wow seasonal dude I’m a senior at a super target do you wanna transfer to my store. I need more people that are passionate about zoning especially zoning in toys.

Hmmm....I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't respect the closing lead. I actually really like the guy and think he's great at what he does. (However, since he got shot down at trying to get me reassigned to his team, he's been a bit distant. That's understandable though. We're generally on the same page about what needs to be done and big zoning freaks so we get along.) What I meant was that it doesn't matter what he thinks the store needs are. Whatever my SrTL has written down as my tasks for the night are what I'm to do and the closing lead cannot reassign on an as needed basis without getting permission from someone above him, which isn't going to happen. It's not a lack or respect from me. It's him not being granted the authority from higher ups to determine what my priorities are for the night if my SrTL or ETL have given directions.

It kind of sucks. If the closing lead had his way and could reassign me, I know he'd have me do my absolute favorite task at the store: deep zone toys. That's what he does whenever directions haven't been left. But, as much as I like my SrTL she doesn't share my passion for a good zone. So, toys might look rough as hell, but I'll stiil be pushing home furnishing at 9pm because that's what was directed from above. :confused:

That's ridiculous. The closing lead should have over ride rights on any tasks left from any areas leaders. Has the closing lead been talked to for having TM's change tasks or is this all an assumption you're making on the leaders? I could see possibly the leader making a bad call and then being talked to about that however... My job has been to get the store into a specific spot for opening and I have full discretion to do whatever I see necessary to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back