Archived Are all closing leads former Senior TLs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there really people out there who are interested in closing 5 nights a week ? YUCK. That would be a deal breaker for me leading to good-bye.

Are there really people out there who are interested in closing 5 nights a week ? YUCK. That would be a deal breaker for me leading to good-bye.

I agree. However, my store has had someone in this position for months now. He couldn't wait to move into the role. He's moved from TM to TL to Sr. TL and now to closing LOD. I believe his end game is STL.

Hmmm, interesting.
I agree. However, my store has had someone in this position for months now. He couldn't wait to move into the role. He's moved from TM to TL to Sr. TL and now to closing LOD. I believe his end game is STL.

I guess so long as it’s a temporary stepping stone....but still not one i’m Willing to suffer thru.

Hmmm, interesting.

I guess so long as it’s a temporary stepping stone....but still not one i’m Willing to suffer thru.

Honestly... it's my favorite position Target has ever created. I love closing... I'm not a morning person; my fiance' works late at a hospital as a nurse... I get every weekend off... it's literally perfect for me.

I was approached about it and told them I would do it as long as it’s not longer than a year. I think it’s a great stepping stone for someone who isn’t already a senior, aka another TL becoming the closing lead. It’s great development. I ended up transferring to another store as a senior before my store rolled out the new op model so it never happened but I would have done it short term.

That's ridiculous. The closing lead should have over ride rights on any tasks left from any areas leaders. Has the closing lead been talked to for having TM's change tasks or is this all an assumption you're making on the leaders? I could see possibly the leader making a bad call and then being talked to about that however... My job has been to get the store into a specific spot for opening and I have full discretion to do whatever I see necessary to make it happen.

Not an assumption. It's just what I've been told. Sometimes, it makes sense. If a daytime TM has been asked to come in at night for a specific task, like say stock mini-seasonal after a reset, then it makes sense that the closing LOD shouldn't be able to move them. But, that's an extra shift that's been added to get a specific task done quickly. It's not taking a shift from the closing team. But, it doesn't make sense to me that TMs can't be moved if it's a regular, closing shift. But, that's ASANTS for you.

Wow seasonal dude I’m a senior at a super target do you wanna transfer to my store. I need more people that are passionate about zoning especially zoning in toys.

Hell, if you would just let me do it every night, I might move across the country to do it. Zoning toys is cathartic to me. Having worked toys 6 days a week in November and December coming in at 6am every morning to an overstocked pigpen without time to fix it, I just derive intense pleasure from making it all perfect. Flow's overstock ripped off the shelves/pegs? Yes. Every item in its proper place? Oh yeah. Every single box lined up perfectly with the front of the shelf? Not just one box moved up to the diamonds...every box pulled forward to the edge? Gimme some of that.

Nice. He knows how to kiss the right ass (or bang it!).

I enjoy closing so being a closing lead after I promote grom GSTL,(which is in the talks), would be perfect.

If I was to promote to a closing lead I could probably get a part time job in the mornings or overnight as well for some extra money..

Not an assumption. It's just what I've been told. Sometimes, it makes sense. If a daytime TM has been asked to come in at night for a specific task, like say stock mini-seasonal after a reset, then it makes sense that the closing LOD shouldn't be able to move them. But, that's an extra shift that's been added to get a specific task done quickly. It's not taking a shift from the closing team. But, it doesn't make sense to me that TMs can't be moved if it's a regular, closing shift. But, that's ASANTS for you.

Adding a shift is totally different than the morning/mid team not completing daily tasks and then leaving it leftover for the closing TM. If Beauty doesn't finish 30 repacks or whatever when they had 2 people over there all day when your store is super dead you better believe it's rolling for the next day if were busy at night.

Adding a shift is totally different than the morning/mid team not completing daily tasks and then leaving it leftover for the closing TM. If Beauty doesn't finish 30 repacks or whatever when they had 2 people over there all day when your store is super dead you better believe it's rolling for the next day if were busy at night.

Yeah. That's the way I think it should be. I'm a big believer that hardlines needs to be zoned everynight because as long as it's maintained daily it really doesn't take too long to do it. It should never get to the point where a TM needs to spend hours to zone a single section. So, if the day team doesn't get their stuff done, it's better to too give the night team the proper time to zone, audit and finish reshop even if that means rolling stocking over to the next day.

The Senior role is supposed to go away when you get a closing lead. Also the closing lead in my mind is between “senior” and ETL because you’re in charge of the store when ever an ETL or STL isn’t in the store

which is going to be never really or for maybe 2 hours depending on closing times since closing leads are hourly, an etl has to be there to break them

which is going to be never really or for maybe 2 hours depending on closing times since closing leads are hourly, an etl has to be there to break them

your store has coverage for the closing Sr TL LOD to have an ETL to cover breaks?

our closing lead clocks out for lunch but still has to answer LOD calls

So they're expected to work off the clock???

That’s how it was at my store. I was either expected to take my lunch only 2 hours into my closing shift and have it covered, or take my 30 with my walkie on. Basically if I had to answer an LOD call that took 2 minutes, I would take 2 extra minutes after clocking back in from my 30. That is if the GSA/GSTL couldn’t take care of it

Last edited:
Basically if I had to answer an LOD call that took 2 minutes, I would take 2 extra minutes after clocking back in from my 30.

Uh I would be doing a punch correction so they can add an additional 2 minutes to what they owe me for the day

You live in some fairy tale land if you think stores actually follow that rule.

Team Leads are beyond used to answering calls even if they're on their lunches if nobody else with a leadership role in their department is in the store, which is going to be the case for most stores. So the same will go for closing leads if for some reason all the Leaders dip before 8pm or something, which rarely happens now. There's always at least like, two Leaders here until 7-8 at my store.

your store has coverage for the closing Sr TL LOD to have an ETL to cover breaks?

our closing lead clocks out for lunch but still has to answer LOD calls

Yes absolutely...since I started at my store the hourly leads clock out for their lunches and an ETL or another TL would be in the building to answer LOD calls, there have even been times when an ETL would come in from home just to cover the lunch break. With the new CTL role, I believe he comes in at 5 takes lunch at 9 and the covering ETL is gone by 10.

You live in some fairy tale land if you think stores actually follow that rule.

No fairy tale, just California. I mean if your answering calls on your break why is your HR not putting a stop to that? That's a major lawsuit waiting to happen in any state.

Any advice for a current GSA who's interviewing for Closing TL with HRBP this week? My STL approached me to see if I was interested last month, and I've had some prepping with my ETLs. I realize its a huge jump, not sure first hand how huge exactly 😌 I originally had applied for another TL position, but STL wanted me for this instead.

I'm nervous and excited, also don't know what to shoot for as far as starting wage.

Also, sorry if this isn't posted correctly...its my first post!
It’s hard to say what’s realistic, we don’t know what the new op model has PG45 base pay at yet, plus every district is different with how it does the pay stuff. Our seniors make 19-22 currently. Seeing as they keep their pay and the other TLs get a pay bump, I’ll be asking for 24-25, since I’ll literallt be responsibly for running and securing the entire store, every shift.

Asants. My closing lead was not a senior. Not even a key carrier. She has been a key carrier in the past, YEARS ago.

They promoted a salesfloor TM in my store. He's in his early 20's and has a college degree and is an average TM at best, example: would send products to the backroom as backstock when he couldn't find the home location, or if it was too heavy. Feedback from the TMs is that he bosses people around, but he himself cannot do the work he expects from them. None of the other TL's or LOD's wanted the closing lead position because they have kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back