Archived Are Best Practices supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a very long-time HRTM. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, my ETL HR has gone on a LOA for the next 2 months. We have a 'stand in' Etl HR who plans on forcing me to conduct orientations. Orientation Best Practice clearly states that HRTMs or clerical TMs are not to conduct orientations on their own. Is this worth a fight or will the powers above turn a blind eye? I fear that this ETL is retaliatory in nature, so it may be dangerous to stand up to her. Any thoughts?

It depends. Does your store have a hr-tl? Double check your core roles. There has a lot changes in hr recently. At my store, my hrtm does the orientations, along with the hr-tl. Document all events.

Our HR TM always did the Orientations himself so I'm a little surprised about the best practice stating otherwise.
Unless you think the trainees will suffer lasting harm from this it doesn't seem like something that is worth a battle over.
If your old ETL HR is going to be back you can just write this up as a learning experience.
I don't mean to be flip about this but considering how many ways Spot goes against it's stated best practices on a daily basis this seems minor at best.

this is the first time in about 10 years that I haven't done orientation on a regular basis. my current ETL HR has started doing them and I feel kinda left out. I would consider it a privilege to welcome the new team members a learning experience for you and opportunity to make a difference within your team members. I have wondered many times why the best practices weren't being followed but I guess I kinda considered it a compliment.
our store has never had an HR team leader so maybe that's part of the reason and the fact that I'd been there so long. the current orientation aren't taking as long so I kinda feel like maybe some things are being skipped.

Thanks for the responses. We have no HR TL., but I guess one of my concerns from previous experience is that when I schedule the interviews, make the job offers, conduct orientations, initiate the training and basically conduct very step of the hiring process, the TMs consider me their primary HR contact. This can be problematic in January when my hours arecut and I'm expected to give the operator an hour's worth of breaks and lunches each day. Oops! Was I whining? Sorry...:wacko:

Thanks for the responses. We have no HR TL., but I guess one of my concerns from previous experience is that when I schedule the interviews, make the job offers, conduct orientations, initiate the training and basically conduct very step of the hiring process, the TMs consider me their primary HR contact. This can be problematic in January when my hours arecut and I'm expected to give the operator an hour's worth of breaks and lunches each day. Oops! Was I whining? Sorry...:wacko:

Been there, done that. You are doing an awesome job. I did it because it was the right thing to do, and at the time it was appreciated. I heard from many team members that they thought I was a team leader or even an ETL which is an awesome compliment. I wouldn't change it was still the right thing to do. You can do this, and bravo!!!

My HRTM is my primary point person for hr. There's no chance I would go to our ETL-HR for anything HR related unless it was an emergency (even then I can't see doing it). But our ETL-HR avoids doing anything hr related, as near as I can tell. Thank God she's been promoted to STL (rumor has it) so she will be some other store's problem eventually.

My HRTM is my primary point person for hr. There's no chance I would go to our ETL-HR for anything HR related unless it was an emergency (even then I can't see doing it). But our ETL-HR avoids doing anything hr related, as near as I can tell. Thank God she's been promoted to STL (rumor has it) so she will be some other store's problem eventually.

My goal and offer to those who wish to promote; let us help you, we are (used to be) an always super green store. Practice here, get promoted. Happened over and over. Some of them I miss a lot.

Thanks, Target Annie! Since I have worked in HR for many, many years, there have been many times when I was without an ETL and was happy to step up to the plate and take care of my TMs. I guess I'm just feeling that a lot of our new ETLs have no regard for the dues that were paid and the lessons learned by team members like you and me. They just kind of take it for granted. I know the TMs and TLs appreciate everything that I do, sometimes it just gets frustrating, I guess. Thanks again for your insight and support...it's nice to know that there are other 'old school ' HR people in our ranks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back