Archived Are there cameras on your Food Ave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay for your drinks.

Firstly, don't pay attention to what others do. Secondly, they possibly paid for the drinks.

Example: I buy a pop on my first break. I toss the pop when my break ends as I have no place to store a cup. I then grab a cup on my lunch and last break without paying as I already bought a pop that day. To anyone unaware of my purchase earlier in the day it may appear I am stealing pop without paying. Those people then copy what they think I am doing and get in trouble because unlike them I actually am paying for my drinks.

I don't understand this logic...

You're paying for the cup to access to the fountain. If you toss the cup, you lose your access. If I go to an amusement park and buy a pass for unlimited rides/games and I lose or destroy my pass, I don't get a new one for free, I have to buy another one.

Last edited:
Pay for your drinks.

Firstly, don't pay attention to what others do. Secondly, they possibly paid for the drinks.

Example: I buy a pop on my first break. I toss the pop when my break ends as I have no place to store a cup. I then grab a cup on my lunch and last break without paying as I already bought a pop that day. To anyone unaware of my purchase earlier in the day it may appear I am stealing pop without paying. Those people then copy what they think I am doing and get in trouble because unlike them I actually am paying for my drinks.
Technically your stealing cups. You bought one cup. Not multiple cups. The cup actually costs more to Target than the soda you fill it with.

Last edited:
Technically your stealing cups. You bought one cup. Not multiple cups. The cup actually costs more to Target than the soda you fill it with.

The cups are free. You're paying for the contents, which is why we don't charge for cups of water.

it's illegal to deny anyone water if it's an establishment that serves food and drink.

No such law has ever existed. It's done simply as a matter of courtesy.

The only place with a law of such nature is a specific region of Australia.

The cup actually costs more to Target than the soda you fill it with.

Coca-Cola Bag-In-Box Fountain Syrup (5 gal.) - Sam's Club

$81.98 for a 5 gallon box of coke.

That produces 30 gallons of coke because it's mixed 1 part syrup to 5 parts water.

128 oz per gallon. 128 * 30 = 5,460 ounces

That'd be 273 20 ounce cups.

81.98/273=$0.30 per cup of pop.

I seriously doubt they spend over $0.30 on a cup. I can buy disposable plastic cups like these: Amazon.com: Hefty Everyday Assorted Colors Party Cups, 16 Oz, 100 Count: Health & Personal Care

for 8 cents a cup

Yes, they surely get pop cheaper than sams club sells it for, but they buy cups in bulk just like they do the pop. I'd bet you my next paycheck that the cups are not more expensive than the contents.

Don't pull imaginary laws and fake-quasi-math out of your ass to make an argument.

Last edited:
Standard costs on soda and refills from the Food Service Providers folks./
Costing Out Soda & Free Refills - How to Price Soda | Pate Dawson Company

20 oz cup of soda with ice requires 8.75 oz of product or $0.12
20 oz foam cup cost $0.07
Lid for cup costs $0.01
Straw costs $0.015
Total Cost = $0.215 or rounded up $0.22 per soda

Next, take your sell price and subtract your per soda cost to realize gross profit. If you sell the 20 oz soda for $1.25 then you make $1.03 in gross profit and your attributable NA/BEV cost for the soda is $0.22 / $1.25 = 17.6% (18% to 20% is very common for Soda)

20 oz cup of soda with ice & free refills requires 14.75 oz of product or $0.20
20 oz foam cup cost $0.07
Lid for cup costs $0.01
Straw costs $0.015
Total Cost = $0.215 or rounded up $0.32 per soda

So basically they are making a fortune off the sodas.
But after 4 refills you will be stealing from them.

I saw that page too, but also saw it said things like:

Let's say a five gallon BIB of your favorite Cola costs $50.

So, I wasn't sure if the prices for everything were random examples used to show how the math is calculated or actual costs. Regardless though, that site agrees with my belief that contents cost more than the cup.

Additionally the cost isn't a major concern to me.

People in my store are fine with me grabbing a fresh cup later on in my shift, they are not fine with me carrying around a cup all day.

My point was solely that what looks like someone just taking a free pop may be someone that paid earlier in the day that you simply aren't aware of.

Are there people that actually buy a soda cup and then refill it freely throughout the day? I thought it was generally understood that the dollar buys you access during your meal or time in the cafe, not as long as you're in the store (which would be ridiculous for a full-time TM).

Pretty sure there is a hidden camera in food ave,don't think texting or phone calls is the issue or even the occasional
"free drink",but if they want to get rid of you they can all be added up to make a case for them.Best to do the right thing all the time,after all how many free drink would you need to get to make it worthwhile to loose your job over.

The cups are free. You're paying for the contents, which is why we don't charge for cups of water.

Then why do they charge for different cup sizes (why have different sizes at all)? And why don't they allow us non-stop access (multiple days) to the fountain after we've payed once?

Whatever, you do you. I've just never heard of TMs doing it the way you do.

Are there people that actually buy a soda cup and then refill it freely throughout the day? I thought it was generally understood that the dollar buys you access during your meal or time in the cafe, not as long as you're in the store (which would be ridiculous for a full-time TM).

Don't know the prices, but it's more than a dollar. I usually get a medium cup in a pizza/breadsticks combo (didn't know this til recently, but getting a large cup in a combo pretty much wipes out the combo discount you're getting).

But yes, when I buy a cup, I refill it a few times a day (and destroy several organs in the process) and I throw it out when I leave or leave with it and throw it away after my organs feel damaged enough. Pretty much the norm here. If it's illegal or frowned upon, noone's told me (no TL here is shy about telling us about things we can't do).

No the cups aren't free. And my food avenue has cups specifically for water, as a courtesy.

To add on another thing....A lot of food service establishments get the soda syrup at a heavy discount or even get paid by the soda company to serve it. It's free advertising for the soda company. So in most cases the cup does end up costing more.

Then why do they charge for different cup sizes (why have different sizes at all)? And why don't they allow us non-stop access (multiple days) to the fountain after we've payed once?

You seem to be arguing both sides of an argument.

I'm saying you pay for the contents, since you can get the cup and fill it with water for free.

You'd still pay for different sizes since one size holds more pop than another. Technically, yes, you can refill a small, but it's much less convenient to refill it over and over.

Then you ask why we can't refill the same cup over and over if we bring it back for multiple days. The answer suggests what I already suggested - you're paying for the contents, not the cup.

Regardless, silly argument - no one in my store minds me grabbing multiple cups so long as I pay for at least one drink each day, I assumed other stores would be the same, thus suggested that just because you see someone take a cup and fill it with pop without paying at the time doesn't mean they didn't pay for a drink already earlier in the day.

You seem to be arguing both sides of an argument.

I'm saying you pay for the contents, since you can get the cup and fill it with water for free.

You'd still pay for different sizes since one size holds more pop than another. Technically, yes, you can refill a small, but it's much less convenient to refill it over and over.

Then you ask why we can't refill the same cup over and over if we bring it back for multiple days. The answer suggests what I already suggested - you're paying for the contents, not the cup.

Regardless, silly argument - no one in my store minds me grabbing multiple cups so long as I pay for at least one drink each day, I assumed other stores would be the same, thus suggested that just because you see someone take a cup and fill it with pop without paying at the time doesn't mean they didn't pay for a drink already earlier in the day.

This still doesn't answer the questions: why are we paying for different sized cups if it's about contents (I can refill any sized cup as many times as I want). If I'm paying more for a larger cup, they're charging me more for the same access to contents as someone who gets a medium cup. And again, why can't we reuse them multiple days or get a free new cup anytime we want if we payed for a cup, say, a week ago. If it's about the contents, should I be able to use my cup or get a new cup without paying for the whole week? A month?

Last edited:
1 camera over the 2 registers.
I'm assuming there's a hidden one in the kitchen/supply area.

This still doesn't answer the questions: why are we paying for different sized cups if it's about contents (I can refill any sized cup as many times as I want). If I'm paying more for a larger cup, they're charging me more for the same access to contents as someone who gets a medium cup. And again, why can't we reuse them multiple days or get a free new cup anytime we want if we payed for a cup, say, a week ago. If it's about the contents, should I be able to use my cup or get a new cup without paying for the whole week? A month?

You're still arguing both sides of the argument, it's a logical fallacy.

If you were paying for the cup rather than the contents you'd be allowed to buy a medium drink, and then keep the cup and use it for the rest of the week.

*Why are they charging different sizes for cups if it's about access?*

Because if you're paying for access to the fountain and not the cup, the cups would all cost the same since refills are unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back