Archived Are we now matching in-store clearance prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything policy can be stretched to make it right. You sound like every other entitled GS team member that seems to forgot you have a TL and it’s their call not yours.
No, there are times when we do not have a TL. There are times when we have followed the policy at GS, have called our GSA/GSTL when the guest does not like to hear the word no, and then they go above their head until they get the answer they want. Often there is only one person working at GS and those that work there are often there because they can manage the desk on their own. It is preferred that we manage the desk and make the right decisions so our GSA/GSTL can focus on the front.

No, there are times when we do not have a TL. There are times when we have followed the policy at GS, have called our GSA/GSTL when the guest does not like to hear the word no, and then they go above their head until they get the answer they want. Often there is only one person working at GS and those that work there are often there because they can manage the desk on their own. It is preferred that we manage the desk and make the right decisions so our GSA/GSTL can focus on the front.
We’re not going over your head when we over rule you. It has nothing to do with trusting you or if the guest is right or wrong. When we do it, it’s because it comes down on us not you. When a guest calls and complains the STL comes and talks to me not the GSTM that said no and called the TL over. I have the final say because it’s my butt on the line not yours. I can’t stand when cashiers or GSTMs complain about their TL overriding what they said to make it right for the guest. It’s our department bottom line.

We’re not going over your head when we over rule you. It has nothing to do with trusting you or if the guest is right or wrong. When we do it, it’s because it comes down on us not you. When a guest calls and complains the STL comes and talks to me not the GSTM that said no and called the TL over. I have the final say because it’s my butt on the line not yours. I can’t stand when cashiers or GSTMs complain about their TL overriding what they said to make it right for the guest. It’s our department bottom line.
I get all this. However, what is the point when we are told to follow a certain policy and there are no exceptions or overrides? For instance, opened DVD's and games are not allowed to be returned if they are opened, however, they can be exchanged for the same title. This is a pretty standard policy across retail. How is this making it right for the guest by allowing them the return because they complain up the chain of command?

I get all this. However, what is the point when we are told to follow a certain policy and there are no exceptions or overrides? For instance, opened DVD's and games are not allowed to be returned if they are opened, however, they can be exchanged for the same title. This is a pretty standard policy across retail. How is this making it right for the guest by allowing them the return because they complain up the chain of command?
THIS! (also in this specific scenario if this is being overridden then federal copyright law is being violated)

It is NOT fair to only give preferential treatment to guests who complain. That just trains them they get whatever they want when they complain, plus then the goodhearted people who don't complain aren't being treated fairly.

And maybe it's just my store but you'd actually get in more trouble for breaking policy and "making it right" than you would for a stupid guest complaint.

Bottom line: I totally understand why GSTLs have to override us sometimes, and I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is a GSTL who's attitude is "don't do it but call me over and I'll do it". That's not fair to GSTMs or guests.

I know that matching other stores is a "no, no." However, a newer GSTL said that we would match our own store clearance prices.....I told her that we didn't do that but she waasn't sure if she should believe me or not....she decided on the "not" side of believing me. She's been with us for a few months and I've been here for 12 years. Who would you believe?

You.😁

Idk about Target, but at a previous employer I learned that the average customer spent $8000 a year at the store. (Grocery.) Is it worth losing potentially $16000 in two years to a competitor over a $20 return? How many guests do you think your store can lose that way before it turns into a real problem?

You turn down the scammers. The ones that are frequent flyers and trying to bend every policy, every time. You let the ones that made a mistake correct it.

I would only do it as an exception if the guest was super nice and there was an obvious reason. Like they need two but the clearance store only had one. 9 times out of 10 it's off a registry.
That very thing happened at my store Saturday.

Going back to items that scan for a lower price in our app, that's a price change that hasn't been activated yet? I've been trying to find out what was going on with that for a while now.

Going back to items that scan for a lower price in our app, that's a price change that hasn't been activated yet? I've been trying to find out what was going on with that for a while now.
It's a price change that exists, but isn't necessarily one that Pricing missed, sometimes they've been a couple weeks out.

It's a price change that exists, but isn't necessarily one that Pricing missed, sometimes they've been a couple weeks out.

So what exactly is it then? My store matches it if the guest's phone is set for our store.

Should we not be matching it?

Last edited:

Also there are certain areas of the store that get done on certain days. Like Monday's are NIT/boys/girls plus certain aisles.

Thank god you dont work in my store lol... There are some things where we will budge for the guest.. (i.e. using override codes to move a refund off merch card to something else if the guest is unhappy) but when it comes to returning something that would normally be exchange only or no return at all then the guest better be ready to take a hard no on that. My stores GSTMs/GSA/GSTLs will not budge on that. There are some things that are clearly a no and some where is depends on the situation. My store isnt a Yes desk and I am thankful for that.

Thank god you dont work in my store lol... There are some things where we will budge for the guest.. (i.e. using override codes to move a refund off merch card to something else if the guest is unhappy) but when it comes to returning something that would normally be exchange only or no return at all then the guest better be ready to take a hard no on that. My stores GSTMs/GSA/GSTLs will not budge on that. There are some things that are clearly a no and some where is depends on the situation. My store isnt a Yes desk and I am thankful for that.
It has nothing to do with me. I’m a very strong no person and have been coached by my stl about it. I told someone no and it escalated to the point where he was insulting myself and my GSTMs so I kicked him out and I ended up getting talked to about it. I do my job and in my district that entails being a “Yes” store. It’s very clear direction from our DTL that I don’t exactly agree with but have grown accustomed to. My post was about not disagreeing with with GSTL when they override you because that’s what they’re there for and like me it might not be what they want to to but I value my job more than I do giving a guest 20 dollars of targets money because I was told to.

Check on a zebra using pricing match. My store doesn't match other store clearances. Must be exact model number, etc..
HLM, that assumes that the GSTL or SD TM with the only available zebras on front end are available. What I was saying is that using a phone with our store set as the home store will often times show a lower price than what the item scans at. My store is a yes store, so we honor it.

The ones that are frequent flyers and trying to bend every policy, every time
Those are usually the ones demanding the "manager" and setting off the chain of events earlier described.
No, $20 is not worth losing a genuine customer, but genuine customers will know to accept 'no' for an answer when they've been offered another solution or it's evident they've reached the end of the line.

Last edited:
THIS! (also in this specific scenario if this is being overridden then federal copyright law is being violated)

It is NOT fair to only give preferential treatment to guests who complain. That just trains them they get whatever they want when they complain, plus then the goodhearted people who don't complain aren't being treated fairly.

And maybe it's just my store but you'd actually get in more trouble for breaking policy and "making it right" than you would for a stupid guest complaint.

Bottom line: I totally understand why GSTLs have to override us sometimes, and I'm ok with that. What I'm not ok with is a GSTL who's attitude is "don't do it but call me over and I'll do it". That's not fair to GSTMs or guests.
If we are working as a team (GSA/GSTL and GSTM), we're on the same page as to when to say no, right?

Doing right by the guest is one thing, but it also sucks when you have the Yes Desk leadership who will overturn every "no" handed out by a GSTM just trying to do their job. It shows bad leadership when the guest can "run to daddy" and get the answer they want and now you're the incompetent fool in the eyes of that guest.
If you're gonna get your ass handed to you by the STL when this guest complains, without evaluating how or what happened, they're also exhibiting less-than-awesome leadership because now they're not backing you up.

Can't keep all guests happy all the time, but I fear we've said yes too many times where now the culture of the company, internally and in the guests' view, is, "you better not say no."

in my district that entails being a “Yes” store. It’s very clear direction from our DTL that I don’t exactly agree with but have grown accustomed to.
Ahh, senior leadership. ❤️😍🤦‍♂️;):rolleyes:

HLM, that assumes that the GSTL or SD TM with the only available zebras on front end are available. What I was saying is that using a phone with our store set as the home store will often times show a lower price than what the item scans at. My store is a yes store, so we honor it.
Even if we weren't a Yes store, if it's this store's price, why not match it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back