Asked for 15-20 hours but was given 28?

I feel like most people complaining about hours want MORE hours, but this case is the opposite haha. I have my second and last week of training this coming week, and my schedule for my first week off of training just got released. It has me working 28 hours.

In my interview, I stated I was looking for just around 15 hours a week because I’m a student taking online classes and all of that. I said 20 would be the high end of the hours there and 25 would be my absolute maximum for holidays and such. However, my very first actual week disregards that completely.

I’m going in on Monday for a training shift and plan to talk to someone then. Should I just go straight to the HR ETL? Any advice on what to say to get future weeks down to my 15? Do you think he can cut down my hours for that first scheduled week or would I need to utilize the swap board, and would the swap board be a bad look for me on my first week?

If your interviewer signed off on that number of hours on your paperwork, your store should abide by it. Speak to whoever makes your schedule and make sure to let them know that you can’t work that many hours because of school. ASANTS but Spot usually gets in a snit when people ask for less hours, (or more hours, or schedule changes, or...you get the picture), just saying. Since the usual deterrent/ punishment is cutting your hours, it may work out o.k. for you. Good luck, hope it works out.

It can change to 4 hours a week.
Hours are Based on business needs by spot.
Honestly, if that’s what happens, that’s what happens. It would suck but I’m not relying on this paycheck for my livelihood like a lot of people are, I’m just saving for college tuition. I’d rather these hours, that I really am not capable of doing with the online courseload that I have, go to the employees that need it. I’m fine taking the scraps lol. Even if I somehow get termed since I’m way under 90 days, I’m (hopefully) going back to campus in January and wouldn’t be able to work beyond that anyway.

Do you think my scheduled week could be cut down if I go into HR on Monday? Or would I need to utilize the swap board, and would that look bad on my first non-training week (I feel like it would)?

It sounds like you don’t really need a job now?
I don’t need a job in the sense that I’m well taken care of at home and everything. I need it in the sense that college is expensive and I’d much rather work now than pay loans later. That being said, I don’t need a ton of hours. 28 isn’t even close to a ton for most people, but I’m a student trying to get into a difficult school in my college and need a lot of time to be studying for courses. I’m taking courses online over the summer which is why I can’t do too many hours even now, let alone once fall quarter is underway. 15 is manageable for me and it’ll help quite a bit with tuition. If I can only get 15, hell if I can only get like 12 hours a week, that’s fine, I’m still making money and using my time effectively. Something like 4 hours as suggested would absolutely suck and I don’t prefer it because I’d be making very little money, but if that happens, it happens, I will survive and at least be able to manage my studies.

They may be giving you more hours to train you and get you up to speed on the processes in your assigned area. Give it a couple of weeks, then see how many hours you are scheduled. If after two weeks they are more than you can handle, talk to your ETL-HR and explain the situation. In any event, talk about your available hours for the holidays because they will schedule you for as many hours as they have.

They may be giving you more hours to train you and get you up to speed on the processes in your assigned area. Give it a couple of weeks, then see how many hours you are scheduled. If after two weeks they are more than you can handle, talk to your ETL-HR and explain the situation. In any event, talk about your available hours for the holidays because they will schedule you for as many hours as they have.
Yeah and I totally get that. I’ve been really pleased with training and everything, I’m getting 2 weeks of it which seems a lot better than most got. It’s just that I specifically mentioned I’d prefer 15 hours and my absolute max would be 25 (for the holidays and such, as you said), that was written down by my interviewer, and literally my first week disregards that completely haha. So I feel like a conversation should be had over the reasoning there.

College loans should be paid sooner, than later. Just saying...
What do you mean? I'd rather get ahead of it now and pay off at least a good amount of it, instead of having a bunch of them years after I graduate, accruing interest.

EDIT: sorry, I beat you before you edited your comment lol. Of course I'll have all of those expenses once I'm done with college, I'm only going into my second year so not a big concern at the moment, but if I'm able to study my butt off and get the degree I want, I should be able to deal with those expenses rather quickly once I graduate.

Spot used to give TMs latitude for education but many abused it at my store.
That hurts the serious students.
Lost count of the times I picked up coworkers' shifts who were supposed to be studying only to hear about their times in the nightclub district :rolleyes:

You want limited hours after being a new hire. Spot may not take your request lightly. School is important now.
Well, I told my interviewer I wanted limited hours, I would highly prefer 15 hours, 20 on the high end, with an absolute maximum of 25 for holidays and stuff. They noted that, sent me to a second interview, and hired me on. So this isn't a new request, this was a provision I was hired upon that is being ignored on my very first non-training week. If they can't promise to keep me to the agreed-upon hours, then yeah, school has to take priority and I would be resigning and going back to DoorDashing. But I do want to make this work.

Talk to your hr. You come to the Internet for answers & don't like what you see. Your store will decide the schedule needs for you. They may cut you down to zero. August is a low hour month for spot.

Talk to your hr. You come to the Internet for answers & don't like what you see. Your store will decide the schedule needs for you. They may cut you down to zero. August is a low hour month for spot.
Not sure what you're getting at with "I don't like what I see". If anything, this has been pretty reaffirming and helpful. If August is a low hour month, that's fine. My concern is that my schedule has gone over not only my preferred hours, but my maximum amount of hours, and I think the general consensus is that I should talk with HR to get that fixed. A provision I was hired upon is being breached, and if Target brings me down to 0 hours for trying to ensure their end is held up, or even if they outright term me because they don't like that I'm bringing it up, so be it. No reason to be there if they won't abide by that literally from the start. No harm, no foul.

I do appreciate the help!

Please forgive him.
Hardlinesmaster & others have had to deal with countless other newbies that ask questions on here then rant because they don't like the answers or info they got, completely forgetting that this is NOT a corp-sanctioned site & they should be talking to their store's leadership.
Many such threads devolve into name-calling & end up getting locked.
Either their leadership isn't approachable or they don't know how to ask so TBR is a sounding board.
As a former college grad, working during school made a huge difference in keeping my dept down & taught me the importance of time management.
I do hope you can work it out with your leaders.

Please forgive him.
Hardlinesmaster & others have had to deal with countless other newbies that ask questions on here then rant because they don't like the answers or info they got, completely forgetting that this is NOT a corp-sanctioned site & they should be talking to their store's leadership.
Many such threads devolve into name-calling & end up getting locked.
Either their leadership isn't approachable or they don't know how to ask so TBR is a sounding board.
As a former college grad, working during school made a huge difference in keeping my dept down & taught me the importance of time management.
I do hope you can work it out with your leaders.
I get it haha. I'm trying to be as reasonable as possible but I'm sure that isn't always the case here, can't blame him. A lot of his posts and comments helped me immensely throughout the whole application and interview process so I truly truly am grateful for him and his help, on this topic as well. And my leadership seems really approachable actually so I'm not too worried about having a word with the HR ETL about it. But....
Just adding on. Def talk to your leader and hr. Also ask around as other ™s May want the hours.

school should ALWAYS be #1 priority
School is absolutely my #1 priority, so if Target isn't able to accommodate the agreed-upon hours, I will probably have to resign. Too much on the line in college and my future to risk over a part-time job in college.

A friend of mine does doordash, grubhub, and bitesquad. As long as you are meticulous about logging miles and expenses, delivering food should earn you at LEAST $15 an hour.

Second thing: Try looking at this differently. 28 hours this week, 4 hours next week. Those average to 16 hours over two weeks. Try not to get overwhelmed with one super busy week. For every week you feel overworked, you’re bound to get much lighter weeks. Balancing your spending should make the fluctuation in hours not so stressful.

As a student myself, I work 50, sometimes 60 hours a week during the summer while taking 6 credit hours. When the normal school year comes back that will be 35 hours or so with a full time course load. ASANTS, but my store leadership doesn’t care if you wear discrete earbuds/airpods(only one of course) as long as it never interferes with your job. So, since everything is online anyways and mostly accessible by phone, I just pull up my textbooks in audiobook form etc and learn while I work

At my store particularly in the Style department people would talk to the ETL Style about scheduling. We have a few students in Style and of course their schedule changes every new semester. Our ETL right now is pretty good at working out on a schedule that works for everyone in Style.
When I was a student, I had a set schedule and I think it’s easier to manage the hours they can give you. Like at that time I only wanted to work 15-16 hours a week so I decided to give up my weekend and only be available Saturday and Sunday. Luckily they will give me the full 8 hours shift so I can totally get the 16 hours easily. And with having a set schedule, if they try to schedule me more hours on a day I am unavailable I can let them know that it’s outside my availability and they will delete that schedule if I report about it. But if they scheduled me outside my availability and don’t mind working I will go ahead and do the shift. But it didnt happen to often.

Last edited:
when i was hired i told them i was looking for full time and they told me it was, turns out spot doesn't do full time employment and i got 5 hrs my first week....

Back