Asked to do carts but not a CA

Is it against policy for TLs to ask different TMs to do carts even though none of us are CA/FSA and nowhere near the job title/description? Plus, we were told not to use the pusher because we are not certified to use it. Now I’m assuming OSHA certifications have a higher pay rate and therefore TLs are responsible for the equipment not to be misused and/or hire a designated CA. Just wondering about anyone’s else experience with this, TIA.

They ask you to get carts, you get carts. You don't need a pusher. It's not hard to go out in the parking lot, grab a few, push them together and push them inside.

You go and do whatever your TL needs you to do. That's why you see GM TMs on the checklanes and cashiers doing abandoned or Style covering Electronics or anyone pushing freight or doing fulfillment. Needs of the business and all that.

Never stated it was hard task but simply an unnecessary workload that doesn’t apply to my job description, otherwise I would’ve applied for CA. Everyone needs to be ethically treated fairly to their capabilities and not as a mindless drone.
here’s how i treat everyone fairly: go get some fucking carts just like everyone else does instead of making it the responsibility of one or two people

my goodness would you like some cheese with that whine? your job description literally says support the business as needed in other departments, if you’re asked to go get carts go get some ding dang carts

Never stated it was hard task but simply an unnecessary workload that doesn’t apply to my job description, otherwise I would’ve applied for CA. Everyone needs to be ethically treated fairly to their capabilities and not as a mindless drone.
They use to show a video about how great it is not to have a union because if you need to help out in another department you can. Unlike unionized jobs where you can't be asked to do something that isn't specifically in your job description. If you become the de facto cart person 80% of the time that is the time to complain. Even then the answer might be if you want the hours this is what we have available. Being asked to do it in a pinch is not something to complain or worry about. I'm an older cashier and I've done carts both in specific Saturday crunch periods between CA shifts and during a snowy weather call out situation for most of my shift. They do ask young male cashier/drive up before others but anyone will do in a pinch. I have said no when it was nighttime and wet and I wasn't dressed (nor will I wear unwashed community clothes) for the weather.
If you haven't had to do the work of another position for at least part of a shift then you haven't been at Target long enough.

They use to show a video about how great it is not to have a union because if you need to help out in another department you can. Unlike unionized jobs where you can't be asked to do something that isn't specifically in your job description. If you become the de facto cart person 80% of the time that is the time to complain. Even then the answer might be if you want the hours this is what we have available. Being asked to do it in a pinch is not something to complain or worry about. I'm an older cashier and I've done carts both in specific Saturday crunch periods between CA shifts and during a snowy weather call out situation for most of my shift. They do ask young male cashier/drive up before others but anyone will do in a pinch. I have said no when it was nighttime and wet and I wasn't dressed (nor will I wear unwashed community clothes) for the weather.
If you haven't had to do the work of another position for at least part of a shift then you haven't been at Target long enough.
Tysm I appreciate this respectful answer. They were asking me to do it for my full shift, mind you I never had a problem gathering rogue carts around inside the store as I’ve done countless times. The issue is being the designated gopher when I barely pass the height requirement on roller coaster rides 🥲

I personally enjoyed doing carts once in awhile. Its really not that bad. You dont have to deal with guests that much, you can out in some earbuds and listen to music, and you get some sunshine in.
I just wouldn't want to be a dedicated CA.

We use to have a leader call out on walkie "cart party" and anyone and everyone would go out and get 6 carts each. No big deal
Same. The front of store attendant also gets breaks and lunches and, amazingly, guests still want carts! Powered equipment training is required for nearly every tm, though the CA and other FOS tms may be the only ones with pusher training. You can't use any powered equipment without training and there is no extra pay for learning how to use the equipment necessary to do a task. You do get to use it on your resume as a skill, though.

Is it against policy for TLs to ask different TMs to do carts even though none of us are CA/FSA and nowhere near the job title/description? Plus, we were told not to use the pusher because we are not certified to use it. Now I’m assuming OSHA certifications have a higher pay rate and therefore TLs are responsible for the equipment not to be misused and/or hire a designated CA. Just wondering about anyone’s else experience with this, TIA.
Target is not a union, all jobs are able to and expected to be completed by anyone. I have seen 70 year old women/men get carts. Be a team player and quit trying to use OSHA as an excuse to get out of something, they are too busy trying to figure out how in the world they are going to enforce the vaccine mandate.

It's funny that you think getting trained on the cart machine which literally takes 15 minutes to learn and become comfortable with would deserve extra pay!

DelectableImpracticalBuffalo-size_restricted.gif

Do as Jesus does go get carts

I disagree and I think that while being a team player can help you get more shifts, sometimes you get taken advantage of when they ask you repeatedly to get carts. It's not just getting carts, it's also being asked to clean the restrooms or any spills and I can understand why team members wouldn't want to deal with that.

At my old store, there was an older checkout advocate who had been at the store for 12+ years and he never had do get carts. He just said "I don't do carts" when I asked if he could swap shifts with me once.

I disagree and I think that while being a team player can help you get more shifts, sometimes you get taken advantage of when they ask you repeatedly to get carts. It's not just getting carts, it's also being asked to clean the restrooms or any spills and I can understand why team members wouldn't want to deal with that.

At my old store, there was an older checkout advocate who had been at the store for 12+ years and he never had do get carts. He just said "I don't do carts" when I asked if he could swap shifts with me once.
My guess is he put in his cart time during those 12+ years. I am in the "I don't unload the trailer" club after 15 years of doing it. Also, since he was an "older" advocate there may be restrictions on certain physically demanding jobs that you aren't aware of and aren't your business.

You're gonna have a very hard time in your life with this attitude.

Get used to this phrase - "all other duties as assigned"

You're going to see it in every job you have forever.

If you're physically capable of helping it behooves you to just go do it - at a minimum just to be a team player.

Edit:

Just saw your other post about it being an entire shift. This may be a little different, but in general you should get used to the idea of being a mindless drone. Because that is what you are, to Target and 99% of the rest of the employers out there. It's harsh and it sucks, but it's reality. Consider it a motivator to move up in the world.

Last edited:
Back