Archived Asked to tattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today, my Etl-Log asked me who on flow pushed a specific aisle. I'm nit on flow, but I was around the area pushing myself.

Even though I was 90% sure who.it was, I declined to say.

The reason given was that product was pushed to the wrong spot. A higher priced item filled into a lower priced one. A guest challenged the price.

Been there, done that. If it isn't outright theft, I'm not ratting my fellow team members out.

In my opinion, he should bring this up at flow huddle tomorrow. What was done wrong, how it effects the store, and how to do it right.

Comments?

I don't know if I would have "tattled", but if it's the difference between that team member being shown his mistake and how to fix it so that he/she can hopefully correct it in the future and not make the same mistake again, then maybe it's worth pointing out to someone.

I wouldn't have tattled either. I feel like Spot doesn't exactly train very well so maybe that TM didn't know. Besides that I'm totally against the zoning practice where you just fill in the holes to make a shelf look full. I know you're supposed to use the same price point but really? who takes the time to make sure they're doing it right? Everyone's on a time crunch. Also, managers are vibing the store's profits away so they are setting a bad example to TMs.
Yes, I'm a bit cynical nowadays.... o_O

I agree with looseseal. I wouldn't want my mistakes announced even generally at huddle. They can't fix it if they don't know who is doing it. It isn't about getting someone in trouble so much as it is getting the issue fixed so everyone can do their job properly.

Mixed bag on this one.
First off, if they are out there doing their job the ETL LOG should know who is pushing what aisles or at least have a pretty good idea.

Second, as was said if you're working in a good store it would be just a case of making sure the TM gets proper training and doesn't make the same mistake (we won't go into what would happen in a mediocre or bad store, most of you have a handle on that).

Third, TM solidarity is all well and good but keep in mind that a goodly number of them will be happy to sell you out to keep their job.

An announcement at huddle isn't going to do anything. "Hey everybody, this is a reminder to put things in the right area." Even if the specifics are brought up do you think that TM is going to remember what they pushed?

I know conditions at Target aren't always the best but this isn't prison and you're not going to get shanked for talking.

I agree with looseseal. I wouldn't want my mistakes announced even generally at huddle. They can't fix it if they don't know who is doing it. It isn't about getting someone in trouble so much as it is getting the issue fixed so everyone can do their job properly.

Thank you! I am sick and tired of having to fix mistakes of others, its a big waste of time for me and my team.

Waterspout, you call it tattling, its not. Bad work is bad work, and hiding it only hurts you. Cause your bad workers cost you in the long run. Our overnight flow team gets almost no help from dayside, why you might ask? Cause they have been allowed to be so bad for so long that we are tired of cleaning up their mistakes and poor work ethic that we refuse to waste our time. Myself and a another In-Stocker were asked to help back stock the electronics backstock and the two they had in there did nothing but stand there and talk without moving for a solid 30min, while blocking us from actually you know backstocking. We had to grab the SRTL and tell him either toss them out or we would walk out and go back to scanning. He tossed them and sent them home. No questions asked, cause we earned the credit to be believed by doing excellent work.

So today, my Etl-Log asked me who on flow pushed a specific aisle. I'm nit on flow, but I was around the area pushing myself.

Even though I was 90% sure who.it was, I declined to say.

The reason given was that product was pushed to the wrong spot. A higher priced item filled into a lower priced one. A guest challenged the price.

Been there, done that. If it isn't outright theft, I'm not ratting my fellow team members out.

In my opinion, he should bring this up at flow huddle tomorrow. What was done wrong, how it effects the store, and how to do it right.

Comments?

This happened because the TM wasn't well trained and if it happened to a brand new TM you did the right thing because that person hasn't been fully trained yet. We all know how busy they keep the team members at every Target and we know how training isn't always the best at the stores due in part because everyone can be so busy that mistakes are often made. However, these mistakes only become significant when a Team Lead or an ETL does not like you. If they like you, you can be the biggest slacker in the world who makes a lot of mistakes but you won't get in trouble. Good for you for not tattling on this TM if he was new or relatively new.

I don't think it's more of "tattling". I believe it's a opportunity to verbal coach--not document or be an ass about it--but one on one coaching to follow up with the TM to make sure they are paying attention to pick labels or if there is any misunderstanding. We had one similar to this about a month or so ago and I saw nothing wrong with it. My ETL followed up and told the TM the issue and that was that.

I don't think it's more of "tattling". I believe it's a opportunity to verbal coach--not document or be an ass about it--but one on one coaching to follow up with the TM to make sure they are paying attention to pick labels or if there is any misunderstanding. We had one similar to this about a month or so ago and I saw nothing wrong with it. My ETL followed up and told the TM the issue and that was that.

It's not really that that's all it was. All these coachings and talks are documented and can lead to a CCA and if the TL or ETL does not like you they will pay more attention when the person they don't like messes up than they would when another TM they like does the same thing or even if they make the same mistake because ETL's or Team Leads are not perfect all the time yet they can get away with a lot more. So good for him for not tattling on an underpaid TM but OP just warn that TM and show him how it's done so he won't do it again.

Last edited:
It's really a no win situation sometimes.

Years ago, the same sort of thing happened. An Etl asked me who put a shrink wrapped pallet in the steel. I knew exactly who did it because he and I were sorting transition. I shrink wrapped and put up every skid but that one. When the other guy did his, I told him it was ugly. Not dangerous, but ugly. He wouldn't listen. I say, it's obvious cause it looks bad.

So, of course, later that day, the Etl asks me, who put this pallet up. I say, Joe did.

Not 15 minutes later, I got Joe breathing down my back for telling the Etl who did it.

Btw, Joe was the SrTl Flow.

So, I've done it both ways.

IMHO, keep your mouth shut.

A SRTL should know better. You do good work you get the slack when you screw up. He can be pissed and it was his own fault not yours.

I have no remorse for the people pushing truck who don't understand how to read pick labels. It's not rocket science, if you can count to 10 you have no excuse on why you put the item in the wrong location. The only time I could see this being difficult is if the tag has been flexed over, however in that case it's as simple as removing the product that was flexed there along with the tag and backstocking excess. It's not rocket science, it's basic knowledge even if you didn't want to rat out the team member, if it was a mistake and the LoG ETL doesn't bring it up at a huddle do your part yourself pull that TM aside next time you see them and make sure they know how to read the labels. You would be doing yourself, and that TM a favor in the long run.

I work flow. I have mixed feelings about this. If I saw someone pushing incorrectly I would and have talked to them about it. Especially on price points. If it's a tm who has been there awhile or a newbie, it doesn't matter to me. If you can read, there is no excuse to do a piss poor job. If I saw it continuing, especially with a newbie, I would share with my tl, I think so and so needs additional training. If they are a slacker, I would and have thrown their ass in!

So the ETL-Log doesn't always know who pushes what aisle all the time. They can have a general idea but we get pulled away from the process too much to know everything, especially if you are a multilevel, overnight, multiple wave store. I wouldn't have asked another TM who pushed, I would have just made that a topic during a huddle so TMs know about it. Not a huge deal just an opportunity for improvement.

If I knew who pushed the aisle...I wouldn't had ratted them out. I would had waited and when I saw the team member give them a heads up etc. Let them know to be more careful next time. However, If I was going to give them a heads up I would make sure no one else heard it...because they could in turn go and tattle that you lied to the etl. My store has gotten to the point that's all they want you to do is tattle. They even have a seasonal hire who stands around the corner and goes back and reports to the stls. stl, tl , etc, People are being called in the office for not being supportive of the stores leadership etc. The leadership tends to forget how much crap they talk about team members on both a work and personal level

If I knew who pushed the aisle...I wouldn't had ratted them out. I would had waited and when I saw the team member give them a heads up etc. Let them know to be more careful next time. However, If I was going to give them a heads up I would make sure no one else heard it...because they could in turn go and tattle that you lied to the etl. My store has gotten to the point that's all they want you to do is tattle. They even have a seasonal hire who stands around the corner and goes back and reports to the stls. stl, tl , etc, People are being called in the office for not being supportive of the stores leadership etc. The leadership tends to forget how much crap they talk about team members on both a work and personal level

Whoa, I didn't lie. I said I was 90% sure I knew who it was. My exact words to my Etl's question ... I'm not sure. Which is the truth. I did not see the person pushing product.

I am not saying you lied....I am saying that if you went to the team member ( after you told the etl you were not sure, or didn't know who did it ) and someone overheard you and knew the etl had asked you about it already...they could tattle and say that you had lied etc. I wasn't saying you had lied....just saying that there are some team members who will tattle to get brownie points

Got it. I am a firm believer in coworker solidarity. Is that a redundant statement?I've worked in a union shop before, and they have good and bad points. Not sure I'd like that again. But unless it's outright theft, and I mean actually seeing someone steal something, I usually keep my mouth shut. Usually.

there's no such thing as verbal coach. its verbally told but the tl's write it up and its documented for a year.

its just easier to ask you than figuring out who screwed up. flow at my store just cares about speed instead of accuracy. clorox? that's fine for any shelf label that says clorox.

now if its come to a point we're going to coach that person, we can use the cameras to find out. ap has enough on their plate. they don't need to figure out who needs a coaching.

Depends if that TM is a hard worker or a slacker.

I'm an a-hole so if you're not trying to do your job at all and the team have to pick up your slack, I really don't give a damn about your ass getting in trouble.

Depends if that TM is a hard worker or a slacker.

I'm an a-hole so if you're not trying to do your job at all and the team have to pick up your slack, I really don't give a damn about your ass getting in trouble.

I agree. If your lack of effort makes my job harder, then piss off. I hope they can your ass.

I have no issue helping those who are trying but need help, but if you're not trying, get out.

there's no such thing as verbal coach. its verbally told but the tl's write it up and its documented for a year.

its just easier to ask you than figuring out who screwed up. flow at my store just cares about speed instead of accuracy. clorox? that's fine for any shelf label that says clorox.

now if its come to a point we're going to coach that person, we can use the cameras to find out. ap has enough on their plate. they don't need to figure out who needs a coaching.
Well my store is different from yours. We verbal coach to help. We do a formal coaching if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back