Auto denial of vacation

So a time off request can auto denied if HR just sits on it.

How long of a time period is that?

I just resubmitted a day off request because is was still pending.

It was only for one day over SIX WEEKS in the future so WTF.

HR doesn't approve the requests unless there are leaders on vacation (at my store anyhow). It will auto deny the Monday of the week that schedule will post. Shouldn't have to, but tell your TL to go in and approve it.

So I could request a day off two months from now but I won't know whether it is approved until it nears that day.

In my store I thought HR approved vacations.

I also get a different answer every time as to who does the schedule my TL or HR.

So I could request a day off two months from now but I won't know whether it is approved until it nears that day.

I also get a different answer every time as to who does the schedule my TL or HR.

At my store, ETL does the schedules, HR makes any adjustments. I don't think TL have access to scheduling unless their a closing TL. They can only ask HR to change something in the schedule.

Honestly, I never trust TLs when it comes to schedules or request time off. They have a very forgetful mind! I go straight to the ETL your under and ETL-HR.

My ETL tells me to put in the request 2 weeks before the schedule is made and remind him when it's in as the system will auto deny if it's to far off from vacation.

you can check mytime selfservice literally every day you clock in and see if it was approved or not

Not if your ETL approves it sooner. Just ask them to approve it after you post. I print it out and put it in their mailbox so they have a physical reminder
My store refuses to approve requests until they are working on the current schedule. We were told this is the way all the stores are supposed to be doing it. How in the hell are you supposed to book a vacation if you can't be assured that your days are off?

My store refuses to approve requests until they are working on the current schedule. We were told this is the way all the stores are supposed to be doing it. How in the hell are you supposed to book a vacation if you can't be assured that your days are off?
Yeah that’s definitely not the way it’s supposed to be done

That is some kind of bullshit.

When my vacation time get denied, I immediatley talk to my ETL and usually says it was a mistake and will put in the time off request for me.

Yeah they can be annoying with approving requests sometimes. I get a lot of auto denials myself. Luckily, the most recent request I made got approved the next day. A week off and the request was made about a month and a half in advance.

Nope, this is not the way all stores should be doing it. This is when you talk to your ETL and confirm that you are able to take the time off and then submit it. Follow up until it is approved.

it’s funny i got my two weeks approved for vacation. then i see the new schedule and they schedule me one day knowing they already approved my vacation. it’s such a hassle. luckily i check the schedule otherwise that im on vacation and a no show no call.

you can check mytime selfservice literally every day you clock in and see if it was approved or not
I have been doing that everyday for four weeks and my ONE DAY was finally approved.

I guess I come from the perspective if the request is put in at least a month before the date they should be approved.

I have been doing that everyday for four weeks and my ONE DAY was finally approved.

I guess I come from the perspective if the request is put in at least a month before the date they should be approved.
Oh my god four weeks just to approve one day off? That’s insane. Yeah you really gotta hassle them lol.

So this happened again because HR ETL is too lazy to do their job

My HR ETL told me to talk to my TL and he can adjust the schedule.

My TL is out with COVID and the schedule is already done.

I am actually not upset.

However the SD called me on my day off to ask me to work

I just ignored it the message.

I worked yesterday until 3:30 and but was no one in my department after 4:00.

Good job scheduling Target!

So this happened again because HR ETL is too lazy to do their job

My HR ETL told me to talk to my TL and he can adjust the schedule.

My TL is out with COVID and the schedule is already done.

I am actually not upset.

However the SD called me on my day off to ask me to work

I just ignored it the message.

I worked yesterday until 3:30 and but was no one in my department after 4:00.

Good job scheduling Target!
Yeah had that happen back when I worked shit Avenue they had be coming in at 1pm and the opener left at 12 pm. They fixed it by having the team lead work it since she was already there for Starbucks instead of having me you know come in early. Like I wasn't close to 40 hours they could have put me there and left our busy Starbucks alone. Anything they can do save buck eh Tarshit.

I had vacation time I had requested months before auto-denied, despite talking to my ETL about it. I talked to our (awesome) closing TL and told her, well, he can schedule me but I'm going to be out of town so I'm not going to be working and, wouldn't you know, I was not scheduled for the time off. So annoying. Why is there a fucking time off request system if nobody bothers to actually use it?

Spot needs a metric for auto denies. Leaders should be more conscientious about checking for and approving/denying requests in a timely manner instead of ignoring them and causing all the resultant drama, and holding them accountable for just letting requests go to auto deny would stop this bs in a hot minute. Or just take auto-deny out of the system entirely since it’s not being used properly anyway.

An American Eagle manager I know approves time off requests in four or five days.

She is a former Target TM.

Target should approve or deny a time off request in the same time period ESPECIALLY if it weeks or months from now.

I am going to request some days off next month and keep hounding my TL and/or HR ETL to approve it every week.

Last edited:
We approve or deny the week of. That makes it fairer under the first to ask rule, because you can SAY that you approved so and so months ago for the weekend or whatever.

I also think it’s pretty shitty to wait until the last minute to approve because all you’re doing is forcing your team to call out, and there’s no reason to create an argument with your team. They ask, they will call off if you say no, so why not find a way to yes?

At Sears every department did their own schedule so I would approve requests weekly. And if you tried to schedule someone outside their availability or outside a request for time off (it didn't even have to be approved, just requested), a warning would pop up, so you'd have to actively override it to schedule someone.

Back